O And B Visa's - Now I Am Confused

Hi;

I have been away from the forum for a while, and now finally with a web connection, I hope someone can solve a problem for me.

I have had a WP for My Non - O Visa, basicly working for a company my wife owns.

Anyway I decided to change my job and I was told to go to Laos to change my Non - O to a Non - B visa, since it was for more difficult to work on a NON - O than a NON - B.

Since I didn't want to cause any problems, I did as I was requested and got a NON-B Visa.

Firstly I assume my NON - O is now invalid - It was a Multi Entry, Renewable type.

But my big question to anyone who may be able to help is is there any difference in getting a WP if you have a NON-O or a NON-B

Thanks for any comments.

the precedure is exactly the same for workpermit on all NON IMMIGRANT visas.The labour department just requires NON IMMIGRANT visa.whatever category is allright.O or B or whatever.It doesn't matter.

this is correct, but immigration may look at it differently when it comes to the one year renewal time.

on a NON-B visa you are required to have a higher income than on a NON-O based on spouse support.

opalhort

Extending an entry permit based on employment, with non-immigrant B entry permit, requires sponsoring company to have four thai employees and 2,000,000 baht paid in capital, per foreign employee thus sponsored.

Meaning - the real siutaion is most probably the opposite of what you were told - extending a class B entry permit is normally harder than extending a Class O - for class O, you only need to show 40,000 baht monthly income from legal employment - the characteristics of the employing company are not looked at.

For Class B extension, the employee profile and capitalization profile are included in the decision process - and starting next month, you must also be earning a salary that will be higher (at least for many nationalities) thatn that requiredto obtain a Class O extension.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Steve, et al, thanks for the information, appreciated;

Only problem I now have is I am now rather Jai Ron with those who told me to go and do the "B" Visa.

Maybe someone can tell me - - - Is my 12 month Non-O visa invalid ??? as it still has 8 months of validity ???? And No I didn't get a re-entry permit - I was just about to finish my 2nd "Under Consideration"

Thanks Again

Matt

Steve, et al, thanks for the information, appreciated;

Only problem I now have is I am now rather Jai Ron with those who told me to go and do the "B" Visa.

Maybe someone can tell me - - - Is my 12 month Non-O visa invalid ??? as it still has 8 months of validity ???? And No I didn't get a re-entry permit - I was just about to finish my 2nd "Under Consideration"

Thanks Again

Matt

If you are married to a Thai you are entitled to obtain a work permit on an O visa. Go back into Immigration and tell them of your dilemma. Maybe ( and that's maybe) they can do something to help you.

I am confused by your post and would like to help. So a few observations.

If your 1 year non O was the result of a contract of employment with your wife's business then the visa depends upon the work contract and finishes when you finish working for your wife. You have to get a form signed by the firm and then the employment people will give you another form when you hand in the work permit. (You have to do this within 7 days of finishing work or else there are fines). You then take the employment office form to immigration who will cancel your visa. (Again do this within 7 days of finishing work or else there will be overstay fines to pay). At this stage you can apply for another 1 year extension depending upon your circumstances ie. marriage, child dependent, retirement etc. If you cannot apply for any of these then you must leave the country immediately and re enter with whatever visa you can obtain from outside.

As has been said already, you do not need a Non-B in order to get a work permit. You can work on any category of Non immigrant visa. I have had a self employed work permit - as a freelance journalist, and also an employee work permit working at a University and both these on a retirement visa. I have found that it helps to employ a reputable agent in the case of self employment as the employment office staff are not very helpful and in my experience do not speak English.

If you go out of the Kingdom on any visa/work permit combination you should get an entry/re-entry Visa or your primary 1 year visa extension will be lost.

Reading the posts in this forum it really is surprising that such a vast difference in attitude and rule interpretation is allowed to exist in the immigration department.

If you are married to a Thai you are entitled to obtain a work permit on an O visa. Go back into Immigration and tell them of your dilemma. Maybe ( and that's maybe) they can do something to help you.

Thanks Dr Pat, I think the only answer is a trip to Suan Phlu and take the wife & kids and get them to cry.

I am still mystified if my 1 year "O" Multi is still valid or not, even though I now have a "B" since the "O" expires in January next year..... and the "B" expires in September this year.

I am still mystified if my 1 year "O" Multi is still valid or not, even though I now have a "B" since the "O" expires in January next year..... and the "B" expires in September this year.

no, your non immigrant O is not valid anymore as you re entered thailand with a new visa, in your case a B.

Is my 12 month Non-O visa invalid ??? as it still has 8 months of validity ???? And No I didn't get a re-entry permit - I was just about to finish my 2nd "Under Consideration"

it sounds like you were in the process of getting a one year extension from immigration. that application ended when you left without getting a re entry permit. that is understandable...you will need to start the extension process again with immigration.