Mango growers complain of low prices and fewer export orders due to COVID-19

snoop1130

555.jpg

Mango orchard owners in Thailand’s northern province of Phitsanuloke are seeking help from the provincial administration to promote the sale of their sweet fruit, particularly Barracuda Mango variety.

They complain that, because of the global COVID-19 pandemic, their mangoes are not being exported, due to fewer buyers, and their prices have plunged to between 10 and 20 baht per kilogram, depending on size.

For other varieties, they say that the prices range from 2 to 5 baht per kilogram, which do not cover their investment, adding that they have to pay the mango pickers at least 300 baht a day.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/mango-growers-complain-of-low-prices-and-fewer-export-orders-due-to-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-03-22

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mango orchard owners in Thailand’s northern province of Phitsanuloke are seeking help from the provincial administration to promote the sale of their sweet fruit, particularly Barracuda Mango variety.

Here we go again ,Prices drop and they start winging ,that's ok. 

They just asking for help to Promote  their crop ,For Now. 

Next they Will be Begging/Demanding  the Gov'ment for Heaps of THB.

"...adding that they have to pay the mango pickers at least 300 baht a day."

Oh my gosh....the horror of having to pay your workers the minimum wage of 300 baht a day.  What next...maybe having to give them a day off each week!

Any maybe the Phinsanulok might want to pay the required minimum wage of Bt320 for their province vs the 300 baht talked.  I know many times people just say 300 baht since it was stuck at that for a long time...but I also expect based on some poor Thai family members/friends of mine that 300 baht actually be what the growers are paying as businesses frequently do not pay the minimum wage...instead, it's a take or leave it type wage offer with little to no fear of any complaints ever being made to the labor dept.

https://www.mol.go.th/en/minimum-wage/

image.png.3ba19135530cf00b648e89b24c29075c.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

As is the case with all commodities, they are cyclical. Covid has wreaked havoc with many exports, many products, and devastated tourism. The commodity prices will come back. I do not anticipate tourism will EVER come back to it's former levels here. In our lifetime, I doubt we will even see 20 million tourists again. Tough for alot of the locals. Good for many of us. 

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

Oh my gosh....the horror of having to pay your workers the minimum wage of 300 baht a day.  What next...maybe having to give them a day off each week!

Huh,  none of them will work for 300 round here, try 500, that's if they'll actually turn up.