Lice/mites on dog

13 hours ago, marty147 said:

It's Nexgard without a 't'' or a 'u'.

I have four dogs each around 10-15kg so I buy a single Nexgard chewable tablet for dogs up to 50kg (450 baht).

I cut it into four pieces then they each take a quarter.

This is cheaper than buying four individual tablets for dogs up to 25kg at 320 baht each.

Thank you for that   A quarter each keeps them tick free ?? Can i ask you where you buy the Nextguard for 450b ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

I contracted Lyme Disease a few years back in Italy. Very sick for a month. No cases in Thailand reported !

I lost the link, but a veterinarian stating that there ARE in fact Lyme disease carrying ticks in Thailand (Phuket I believe) lost his government job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

those are ticks, 2 different species, the fat one lays a lot of eggs so remove them while you can
get tabs as advised already
The drops do NOT work
we tried all those before until the new tabs like nextguard came out and they worked wonders
the drops were always useless even frontline

be aware ticks can live in your garden and can be brought in by BIRDS
Also be aware any treatment you give your dog is toxic (even if toxicity os considered low)
we have 8 dogs that all needed daily checking to remove ticks
after 1 course of nexguard they have been tick free FOR 2 YEARS
however we did move home at time we gave them nexguard so a different garden
but our garden is big with lots of trees and birds and squirrels
so make of that what you will
but after treatment, its better for the dog if you wait to see if/when 2nd dose is needed
also cheaper on your pocket, but no point just giving it if it is not needed,
better to just have on hand ready for when it is.

FYI, short hair, spayed, shampooed often (bad), means nothing to ticks.

• Like 2

My dog often picks up the odd tick or 2 but luckily never more than that, I bathe it every week with a shampoo called Bearing that kills fleas and ticks, quite a few dead fleas after its left on her for the stated 5 minutes before rinsing off.

What i have noticed is when I do remove a tick and kill it the dog sniffs at it but then acts like its eaten something disgusting, drooling and grimacing, quite funny to watch, a google search only turned up a few results stating that the dog is recalling removing a tick itself and the bad taste it was left with.

Anybody heard of this reaction to ticks before ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, actonion said:

Thank you for that   A quarter each keeps them tick free ?? Can i ask you where you buy the Nextguard for 450b ?

My local vet in Isaan (Roi Et).

I check them weekly and give the tablets only when I find ticks so about once every three or four months.

13 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I have found that the only effective treatment for the little bloodsuckers is a monthly injection, cost 70 baht where I am in Isaan.

All other treatments failed but the injection is 100% effective.

This is over 10 years of experience.

Injection of you don't know what ? right ?

A very smart way to proceed !

Sorry maybe it's me but I really find people weird !

Someone own dogs but doesn't know what is a tick ?

Someone doesn't know Bravecto and Nexguard that are the only pills in the world that work (but also kill some dogs).

Someone doesn't know that what vets inject is ivermectin ? The problem being that most of the invermectin sold in Thailand is fake, and it's very hard to find the real stuff, but maybe your vet has a good source (you have no close to zero chance on any online shop, I have bought from a dozen sellers and it never worked).

Wow, thanks to many of you I feel like a genius to know all this ! Thank you.

Edited by thailanddogerator
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, patman30 said:

those are ticks, 2 different species, the fat one lays a lot of eggs so remove them while you can
get tabs as advised already
The drops do NOT work
we tried all those before until the new tabs like nextguard came out and they worked wonders
the drops were always useless even frontline

EH?? The "fat one" is the female of the species shown here. The male of all tick  species cannot grow much after hatching from the egg as the protective shell on its back prevents it from growing much. 

• Like 1

Be careful with ticks on dogs. We check our dogs daily but missed a couple of small ticks in a skin fold.

One of our pedigree dogs ended up very sick, blind in 1 eye, required 2 blood transfusions, a 6 week stay in a pet hospital and daily medication from tick blood poisoning. He was totally blind for a few weeks until 1 eye recovered. 

The vets said local dogs have a resistance to tick infections whereas pure bred non native dogs don't.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 3:27 PM, pjuk said:

DO NOT give full dose all at one time, cut the tab into 4 and spread over 4 days ( 1/4 tab a day).

Any particular reason. Just got Bravecto and it says give the tablet whole, do not break it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Any particular reason. Just got Bravecto and it says give the tablet whole, do not break it.

It also says it's only good for 3 months which is rubbish.  

Bravecto is great but very strong so to be on the safe side and so as not to bombard the liver and kidneys I alwas split the dose over a couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The manufacturers of Bravecto & Nexgard specifically say not to split their treatments - this is because the active ingredient may not be evenly distributed in the tablet. (It is also because it affects their profit margins!). There is no benefit in splitting the dose over consecutive days. It is a cumulative toxin, that has a delayed action because the body excretes it slowly. Bravecto works for 3 months because you are administering 3 times the dosage of Fluralaner that you would give with the corresponding Nexgard treatment(which obviously only works efficiently for 1 month)

If treatment ‘lasts’ for a longer period - I would suggest it is because the ticks (Brown Dog Ticks - Rhipicephalus sanguineus) are a seasonal problem in your area - as they are here in Kanchanaburi.  

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2021 at 11:15 AM, cooked said:

I lost the link, but a veterinarian stating that there ARE in fact Lyme disease carrying ticks in Thailand (Phuket I believe) lost his government job.

My Son caught Lime disease some years ago.  It really is a very nasty condition, that impacted him for a few years. Thank fully over it now.  Ticks are the most underrated, misunderstood, ignored, nasty little bxxxxxds known to man and dog, next to Mossies.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, G Rex said:

(It is also because it affects their profit margins!)

How can splitting the tablet into 4 consecutive days affect the profit...I have bought the tablet anyway.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, pjuk said:

It also says it's only good for 3 months which is rubbish.  

Bravecto is great but very strong so to be on the safe side and so as not to bombard the liver and kidneys I alwas split the dose over a couple of days.

See what G Rex says in his reply. 

I am totally confused.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

See what G Rex says in his reply. 

I am totally confused.

At the end of the day it is up to you. 

I would suggest G Rex is in cahoots with the manufacturer's. LOL :-)))

• Haha 2