Can health insurance companies access Government hospital records?

The Fugitive

Very interesting and helpful recent thread on age 60-64 health cover.

My own circumstances are; aged 64, no existing health plan, one-off accident or motor insurance (don’t drive myself but the Mrs only pays for the 700 baht motor cover).

Two years ago I collapsed with hypoglycemia reading 42mg/dl. Doctor advised that’s unusual in someone with no history. Wanted to admit me to hospital for tests. Regrettably I declined so it’s never been investigated.

My question is if I don’t declare this episode in the event of a claim can an insurance company access Thai Government hospital records? If I disclosed would I be looking at astronomic premiums and/or exclusions? Any advice appreciated.

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I recall a thread when someones premium went up because he had gone to hospital for various things (didn't claim) and the insurance company found out, so they probably do have access and will check local hospitals

Thanks. Sounds logical. No peace of mind whatsoever in taking out cover whilst worrying that the insurance company could refuse any claim!

Lying on an insurance application, if discovered, invalidates the entire policy. Even if the lie or omission is unrelated to the claim being processed.

When you make a claim you have to sign a waiver giving the insurance company access to your medical records. Though it is far easier for them to review records from private hospitals than government hospitals, do nto count on them n ot being able to access records. Also, it could happen that on a future hospitalization you would need to tell the doctors about this earlier episode as it could be medically relevant (especially since the cause was never ascertained).

It may however not be necessary to declare this incident on your insurance application, in fact at least with international companies usually will not be, as the questions are structured in terms of: any hospitalizations (you were not admitted, so not applicable), medications taken daily, and then some specific conditions of which hypoglycemia is not one.  In other words, I think you can be perfectly honest on your application without this incident coming up.

Thai insurance companies are much less medically sophisticated and their application forms tend to be vague in the extreme, I have seen some where you either have to claim that you have never in your life had a cold (obviously untrue) or else get branded as having a pre-existing respiratory disease. I have also known Thai companies to completely misunderstand/misconstrue information given on the enrollment forms in really bizarre ways (example: someone who acknowledged occasional heartburn told they had chronic heart disease). They tend not to have medically trained people review these things, it is just a clerk reading off some very vaguely worded table or list of symptoms. 

Whereas the international companies are much more precise in what and how they ask and utilize medically trained people to review issues of pre-existing problems.

Apply to an international company, answer the form questions honestly and I think all will be fine.

• Like 2