Best/worst Beer In The World

jellymeister

Well to be honest bud is pretty good in my beer batter mushrooms .. sort of like cooking Sherry.. but you wouldn't DRINK cooking sherry would you?

Best Beer: Budweiser

Worst: any Thai beer

take that Bud haters

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Czech Budweiser and Berliner Kindl

And Oz VB - world class

Qwertz, you are absolutely right about Berliner Kindl...a great beer that is hard to get outside of Berlin. Shultheis (sp?) was also a great beer when I was in Berlin. But you couldn't go wrong with either beer along with a bratwurst from a street vendor. A little piece of heaven.

My favorite beers in order are:

1. Pilsner Urquel (Czech).

2. Bass Ale. (Irish)

3. Berliner Kindl (German).

4. Chimay Ale. (Belgium)

5. Labatt 50. (Canadian)

6. Newcastle Brown Ale (English)

7. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. (American)

8. Bomba Bock (Triple XXX). (Vietnamese)

9. Asahi (Japanese)

10. Negro Modelo (Mexico)

Worst (strictly for my taste):

1. Schaeffer (American)

2. Budweiser. (American)

3. Red Stripe (Jamaican)

4. Old Milwaukee (American)

5. Tecate (Mexican)

6. Coors Light (American)

7. Carlsberg (so bad I can't remember what country brews it).

8. Moosehead (Canadian).

9. Singha (Thai).

10. Paulander Wheat (German)

Note: Most Canadian beers are very underrated, most British beers are very overrated (if it is served room temperature), and any beer is great the hotter it is outside and the colder the beer is inside.

And Oz VB - world class

Qwertz, you are absolutely right about Berliner Kindl...a great beer that is hard to get outside of Berlin. Shultheis (sp?) was also a great beer when I was in Berlin. But you couldn't go wrong with either beer along with a bratwurst from a street vendor. A little piece of heaven.

2. Bass Ale. (Irish)

I think you'll find that Bass Pale Ale is English rather than Irish with Burton-on-Trent as its home brewery.

For worst....

how about Watneys Red Barrel? (if anyone remembers that) :D

The Watneys brewing company probably produced some of the worst beer ever. And certainly the worst marketing ideas. Anybody remember the "Party 7" keg? :o Seven pints of lukewarm junkie's piss that could sit on a glacier in the South Pole for a year, but when opened could be guaranteed to still be at room temperature..! :D

watneys red

I second that. I love Budweiser. If Budweiser is so bad why is it the "Best selling beer in the world"?

Easy... yanks are renowned for having crap taste in beer, and there are approx 300,000,000 of them. :o

totster :D

Best Thai beer: Chang. The kids even have a song they learn in school about it. Leo beer? Please, it's for small girls born without taste buds.

Best overall beer: Guinness. No comment needed.

Best beer when you want to drink a case in an afternoon: Budweiser. I don't really believe this, but I live in the place with the world's highest per capita consumption of the stuff--Busch even flew out here and visited in honor of our achievement--and so one does what one must to fit in with the locals...

Worst beer: Do not understand question.

Note: Most Canadian beers are very underrated, most British beers are very overrated (if it is served room temperature), and any beer is great the hotter it is outside and the colder the beer is inside.

I never was a big Canadian beer drinker, but growing up in coastal Mass., we always drank a Canadian beer with our seafood. For some reason if you're doing lobster, steamed clams, chowder, striped bass, haddock etc. (clambake foods), nothing seemed to go as well as a Labatt's Blue. Moosehead, Molsen O.K. too.

Being from Wisconsin that has a large German immigrant population, we have a pretty good variety of small breweries that produce some good beers. I still don't mind an ice cold Miller Lite once in a while though. The absolute worst beers has got to be Milwaukee's Best, Blatz, or Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I second that. I love Budweiser. If Budweiser is so bad why is it the "Best selling beer in the world"?

Easy... yanks are renowned for having crap taste in beer, and there are approx 300,000,000 of them. :o

There is approx. 300,000,000 in America total made up of yanks from the north and rebels from the south. I am from Virginia. We get offended when called a yank. :D

JoeInSurin- Newsflash. The war is over. You lost. No more de jure slavery. Get over it.

Old Croc- I'd never heard of that beer and so Googled it. It's an offensive term akin to "kaffir." So better not to use it. And if you know already and don't care--apartheid is over and the white racists lost. Get over it.

Best Beer: Budweiser

Worst: any Thai beer

take that Bud haters

Taking the p1ss out of Budweiser is easy. It's putting it back in the horse that's difficult.

Easy... yanks are renowned for having crap taste in beer, and there are approx 300,000,000 of them. :D

There is approx. 300,000,000 in America total made up of yanks from the north and rebels from the south. I am from Virginia. We get offended when called a yank. :D

I was gonna say septics... :o

For worst....

how about Watneys Red Barrel? (if anyone remembers that) :D

I certainly do! In fact, I almost vomited at the thought of it. There was also Double Diamond and Whitbread Tankard. Oh dear! :o:D

Is it a type of medieval mead ? :D

JoeInSurin- Newsflash. The war is over. You lost. No more de jure slavery. Get over it.

Old Croc- I'd never heard of that beer and so Googled it. It's an offensive term akin to "kaffir." So better not to use it. And if you know already and don't care--apartheid is over and the white racists lost. Get over it.

It was a joke!!! Notice the "smiley face"? :o Lighten up!!!

Hey Totser shouldn't be making fun of American beer. Look at his idea of Thai food on his footer!

And on the nationalist train, what's with Murphy's? Why do so many think it's such a good beer? To me it tastes like a great Guinness (the world's best beer) that went bad in brewing and then somebody put extra sugar in to try and cover for it. Yuk.

And Oz VB - world class

2. Bass Ale. (Irish)

I think you'll find that Bass Pale Ale is English rather than Irish with Burton-on-Trent as its home brewery.

:o Oooops. Thanks Endure. Only goes to show I've never read the label. Thanks for setting me straight. I still love it though. Now that I delve through my booze-shrouded mind, I remember that Harp is the Irish beer and Bass is English. I'll buy you one if we meet up in LOS one of these days.

Edited by farang prince

I wouldn't recommend that anyone tries this but .....

Drink any beer at room temperature and you will be able to determine what it tastes like. Freezing the gonads off it generally kills any taste it may have had.

Anyway, best ales:

Timothy Taylor's Best Bitter

Boddington's Best Bitter

Wadworth's 6x

Thwaite's Best Bitter

Black Sheep

In fact, virtually all the English real ales are very good.

Worst lagers:

All of them.

Follow up to best/worst food survey…what are your preferences for best worst beers in the world by nationality(specify a brand or type if you wish to be more specific)

Here are mine

Best

1. German pilsen

2. Czech

3. Any other German

4. Belgian(what variety—I like the Dentergems in particular)

5. Murphy's Irish stout only freshly served in Cork

6. Guiness

7. Kilkenny

8. UK Bitter

9. Canadian Microbrews

10. Aussie(honourable mention VB and XXXX are pretty good)

Worst

1. Any American beer(except microbrew)

2. Malaysia Anchor

3. Indian beer

4. Tiger beer manufactured outside Singapore(guaranteed headache)

5. 333 from Vietnam

6. French beer

7. Italian beer

8. Beer chang Thailand

9. Brazilian

10. Chinese

I have to put on my "defend American hat" again. I agree, most US mass produced beer is pretty bad considering the beers you will find in Germany and Belgium. However, even though I would never order a Bud or a Miller as my first choice, these are a lot better than loads of beers on the planet – there is a lot of crap beer out there.

You did remove "microbrews" from your list of American beers that you consider the worst. However, how are you defining microbrews? Sam Adams is a huge seller, and they make some great beer – I would not consider them a microbrew anymore; and I really enjoy Killean's Irish Red, again, hardly a microbrew, though not a mass produced beer.

The US has thousands and thousands of microbrews, some selling very locally and some regionally – many of these are excellent, many are crap. Some microbrews selling regionally are selling more than many Belgium and German beers because the US market (even the NY or California market) is huge – so are those German and Belgium beers microbrews?

Regionally:

Beer Laos is very good. Tiger in Singapore is good.

The worst beer in the region has got to be Anchor beer in Cambodia.

Thailand does not have one decently produced local beer (not Sing, Chang, Heineken or the other crap local beers).

Red Seal Ale

PranQster Belgian Style Golden Ale

Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale

North Coast Brewing Company

Fort Bragg CA

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/

Never thought that I’d look forward to the drinking American beer when I go back to the States to visit my parents. But in recent years a lot of great beers have come onto the scene. Best I’ve found are from North Coast Brewing Co and of all their brews the three above are my personal favorites.

WORST BEER is Tiger Draught especially on Thursday evenings. Thursdays are usually the day that the company comes by and cleans the lines in the pump. They taught them how to run the cleaning solution through the lines but not to properly flush them out with enough clean water afterwards. If there is anything worse than a soapy tasting draught beer, I’ve yet to find it. Is this problem only in the Sukhumvit Soi 22 area?

Repeated complaints from bar owners have had no effect. Fortunately this doesn’t apply to the mini kegs used in some places. The mini kegs feed through a plastic line disposable after the keg kicks.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone tries this but .....

Drink any beer at room temperature and you will be able to determine what it tastes like. Freezing the gonads off it generally kills any taste it may have had.

Agreed :o

Anyway, best ales:

Timothy Taylor's Best Bitter

Boddington's Best Bitter

Wadworth's 6x

Thwaite's Best Bitter

Black Sheep

In fact, virtually all the English real ales are very good.

Worst lagers:

All of them.

Good selection although IMO Boddies is a pale shadow of it's former self and has gone right downhill now it's no longer brewed at Strangeways. Them old cons certainly added something that's missing today.

Why is Budweiser the same as making love on a beach?

They are both f***ing close to water. :D