Jump to content

Are Thai Government Schools Easy?


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Out in the Issan provinces, yeah. They're always looking for foreign teachers. Not so much for the kids' education, but because a farang standing next to them makes for great photo ops, and they'll get a cut of your salary each month. Expect 30k or less.

 

 

I've been offered a job right out in a small city near the Cambodian border and a job in a huge school in a North East city. Both paying 35k.

 

Any thoughts about the benefits of each? Thanks for the help so far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nick in Thailand said:

a job in a huge school in a North East city

I wouldn't take the huge school. They've got more of an image to maintain. They'll have you doing more ridiculous tasks, activities, gate duty, extra classes where the students do nothing. Much of it's just sitting or standing around. Less of this at the smaller schools.

 

There'll always be activities, but at the smaller schools, they actually mean something, and you can actually participate. Doing the obstacle course with the kids on scout day was fun. At a big school, you might just stand with them for the assembly, then they'll send you back to the office.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Nick in Thailand said:

I've been offered a job right out in a small city near the Cambodian border and a job in a huge school in a North East city. Both paying 35k.

 

Any thoughts about the benefits of each? Thanks for the help so far. 

One particular poster on here is generalising too much.

 

I taught in Thai government schools around Issan for over 20 years. Each school is different. It is no way different according to how big the school is, how far out of town it is or anything like that. A lot depends on the demands of the director and the head of English.

 

Head down to the school that has offered you the job. Speak to people. Go to the morning assembly to see how the kids behave. You could even, as I did, go to do a couple of classes to get the idea. 

 

There is no one fits all here. A school 1/2 a mile down the road could be the polar opposite of the one you go to.

 

Take it easy and see how it goes. Good luck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

 

There is no one fits all here. 

 Thanks. I'm not in TH right now but I'm trying to get a feel for the schools during interview. Was thinking of a small rural school because of the other poster but now I'm in 2 minds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick in Thailand said:

 Thanks. I'm not in TH right now but I'm trying to get a feel for the schools during interview. Was thinking of a small rural school because of the other poster but now I'm in 2 minds. 

There is not going to be a small rural school with 35k a month in the coffers for a native English teacher.

 

Schools with that much budget are going to be large schools. Likely 2000+ students and 100+ teachers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, tonray said:

Not Easy. Large classes, extremely noisy and unruly students. Administration will put absurd demands like attending weekend camps, etc. The plus side is you are largely left alone in the classroom, up to you how you handle your lessons. Can bew rewarding because some of the students are real gems and touch you, but in general....you'll be wiped out at the end of every day, most classrooms are not air conditioned, so be prepared to sweat in dress shirt and tie.

 

You said EFL but I assume you mean ESL ?

 

 

and what if someone fuxx the rules and just does as he wants, not doing the $hit paperwork and attending the idiot meetings ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

 

 

and what if someone fuxx the rules and just does as he wants, not doing the $hit paperwork and attending the idiot meetings ?

 

 

Fired usually.  But usually after first term completed.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always expect to have a 'grass' within the staff break room also. It seems to be quite the norm for either the Head of the English department or the bilingual Thai teacher to have such a messenger. If they are western, they should be ashamed of themselves in my opinion.

 

Oh, and at government schools you will have more antics or non-teaching issues that 'they' like to focus on. No matter how good you are in the classroom. And of course you always have the 'bitter faced' old hag who can't smile with a foreigner. Not to mention non-NES who take it to heart you get paid more. They suck and are quite negative overall.

 

All in all, once you find a comfortable place to work, I'm sure you will be happy once you find your groove. Find where you like and what suits you best!

 

*Objectivity*

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2021 at 12:16 AM, ThailandFoodExpert said:

 

 

and what if someone fuxx the rules and just does as he wants, not doing the $hit paperwork and attending the idiot meetings ?

 

 

I've run into very few teachers that were so good and so dynamic in the classroom that doing the paperwork or attending meetings is overlooked.  

Of those few who were that good, I always provided them with as much support as possible.  I helped with their paperwork.  They were not difficult employees, just occupied with other tasks.  They did follow instructions, they did follow lesson plans, even if I had to fill out the forms for them.  The students learned well, like the classes and were motivated.  

 

The other 99% were both worthless in the classroom and as an employee.  They were fired.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Thai students deserve more regardless of the energy you wish to put in to the job.

 

This is the same poster that asked if it was alright to bring a gf he doesn't have around to the school who is only a few years older than his students. Presumably, M6 students. Let us hope.

 

Nick IN Thailand is actually NOT in Thailand.

 

Sad really. Put the two posts together:

 

I'm interested in coming to Thailand. I understand I can get free money by pretending to teach English. My primary goal is to land a gf yet unknown and potentially teen-aged. I'm not really concerned about the ethics of it but only appearances and how it might impact my free money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From my experience teaching in government schools, teaching is the easy part

 

90% of the stress comes from having to mix with other teachers, both foreign and Thai

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nick in Thailand said:

Thanks for the reply, Karen. 

 

But so true yes?

 

You have posted a trolling response and an ad hominem attack. You of course could identify the latter because you are an English teacher.

 

Both your OP posts were absurd baiting questions that should have been locked immediately.

 

I pity the students you may one day stand in front of.

 

Karen

Link to post
Share on other sites

The teaching itself is pretty easy, of course you will be responsible for creating lessons which can take some time depending on how diverse your classes are.

 

What will really drag on you will be interacting with co-workers as someone else mentioned.  They will gradually start asking you to do more and more, come in on the weekends, stay later, do gate duty.  Nothing is really about how you teach the students in a Thai government school.  Most of the Thai teachers who teach in them can't speak very well and pass on bad habits to the students.

 

The salary is pretty bad too, I just finished a year working for 28,000 a month.  Not worth it at all IMO but covid was coming and I needed a visa quickly.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Farang123 said:

The teaching itself is pretty easy, of course you will be responsible for creating lessons which can take some time depending on how diverse your classes are.

 

What will really drag on you will be interacting with co-workers as someone else mentioned.  They will gradually start asking you to do more and more, come in on the weekends, stay later, do gate duty.  Nothing is really about how you teach the students in a Thai government school.  Most of the Thai teachers who teach in them can't speak very well and pass on bad habits to the students.

 

I'm hearing a lot about the co-workers. I am readying myself. Thanks for the heads up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 1:00 AM, youreavinalaff said:

One particular poster on here is generalising too much.

 

I taught in Thai government schools around Issan for over 20 years. Each school is different. It is no way different according to how big the school is, how far out of town it is or anything like that. A lot depends on the demands of the director and the head of English.

 

Head down to the school that has offered you the job. Speak to people. Go to the morning assembly to see how the kids behave. You could even, as I did, go to do a couple of classes to get the idea. 

 

There is no one fits all here. A school 1/2 a mile down the road could be the polar opposite of the one you go to.

 

Take it easy and see how it goes. Good luck.

Yeah normally if the owner or director is a male you will have more professionalism I find. With women directors or owners, you will have more petty and negative 'group' like mentalities.

 

Here in Thailand, it is not a matter of how well you can teach as this will get you the job and your foot in the door easily. Especially if you are beautiful or handsome. The reality and hard truth is that you must practice patience and tolerance of 'sh*tty people' who can't think much beyond the 'box' they are in. Nor find a new job easily, as you may be able to.  It boils down to how much you can tolerate for the money they are giving you. Especially while being disliked for getting more salary from the start!

 

Watch out for the falang who has 'his roots down.' They most of all compared to the others will be the one that plays the game of 'high school' better than anyone else. A snake in tall grass for newcomers. These types of falangs are amongst the worst of people, IMO.

 

Oh and watch out for those who say they are 'Christians' also. Rampant in government schools. ✝

 

 

Edited by Solinvictus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Nick in Thailand said:

I'm hearing a lot about the co-workers. I am readying myself. Thanks for the heads up. 

Thai / Filipino co-workers...*Everyone is okay with something that is not right* No problem.

 

One person speaks up to say it is not right. They get fired...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2021 at 11:59 PM, Solinvictus said:

Watch out for the falang who has 'his roots down.' They most of all compared to the others will be the one that plays the game of 'high school' better than anyone else. A snake in tall grass for newcomers. These types of falangs are amongst the worst of people, IMO.

Thai people get a bad rap for being "sneaky" or "two-faced", quite often an exaggeration. But then there are those farangs who come here with their own character flaws, see these things in the Thais, and feel that's what Thailand's all about. They then take this and run with it to a whole new level, especially if they've been given any authority. They become the biggest liars and backstabbers, and gain the most inflated egos, compared to the Thais who tend to be more subtle about such things. But given they're farangs, they're the ones other farangs let their guard down with. Yes indeed, they're the ones to watch out for, a great deal more than one would the Thais.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 11:59 PM, Solinvictus said:

Yeah normally if the owner or director is a male you will have more professionalism I find. With women directors or owners, you will have more petty and negative 'group' like mentalities.

 

Here in Thailand, it is not a matter of how well you can teach as this will get you the job and your foot in the door easily. Especially if you are beautiful or handsome. The reality and hard truth is that you must practice patience and tolerance of 'sh*tty people' who can't think much beyond the 'box' they are in. Nor find a new job easily, as you may be able to.  It boils down to how much you can tolerate for the money they are giving you. Especially while being disliked for getting more salary from the start!

 

Watch out for the falang who has 'his roots down.' They most of all compared to the others will be the one that plays the game of 'high school' better than anyone else. A snake in tall grass for newcomers. These types of falangs are amongst the worst of people, IMO.

 

Oh and watch out for those who say they are 'Christians' also. Rampant in government schools. ✝

 

 

So, basically anyone that's actually trying / doing the job is to be avoided. You must be a gem of a teacher. This is practically misanthropic. Anyone not there for free money is the enemy.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 2:33 AM, kynikoi said:

So, basically anyone that's actually trying / doing the job is to be avoided. You must be a gem of a teacher. This is practically misanthropic. Anyone not there for free money is the enemy.

lol What? Please thoroughly reread my post and absorb it.

Edited by Solinvictus
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

All I can say is that I relate to almost every comment in this thread. It's all true.

 

I've learned to keep my head down, do all of the paperwork/tasks as fast and poorly as possible, and avoid getting too chummy with anyone (farang/thai/filipino/whatever). Teach well, go home, and leave work at work. It's sad because that's "not how things ought to be" in this field and industry, but that's the reality of Thailand.

 

For anyone dumb (more likely desperate) enough to work for an agency, keep applying for direct hire jobs. Agencies amplify almost every single problem by somehow being even more self-serving and psychopathic than government directors.

Edited by farang10328470127340197412
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, farang10328470127340197412 said:

All I can say is that I relate to almost every comment in this thread. It's all true.

 

I've learned to keep my head down, do all of the paperwork/tasks as fast and poorly as possible, and avoid getting too chummy with anyone (farang/thai/filipino/whatever). Teach well, go home, and leave work at work. It's sad because that's "not how things ought to be" in this field and industry, but that's the reality of Thailand.

 

For anyone dumb (more likely desperate) enough to work for an agency, keep applying for direct hire jobs. Agencies amplify almost every single problem by somehow being even more self-serving and psychopathic than government directors.

A sad view of your experiences.

 

Quite the opposite to my experiences in 20+ years of teaching in Thailand. Sure, there are some bad points I could mention but to put all of my experiences under the same umbrella would be misleading.

 

I have had some great jobs and worked with some great people, many of whom I am still in touch with years after leaving. I had a couple of bad experiences and left. Simple. Learned from those experiences and moved on.

 

I've worked direct hire and via agency. One agency was a nightmare. I lasted 2 months and moved on. My most recent teaching position was through a very good agency. They were supportive, we had a coordinator on site at all times, lesson plans and courses were all provided, pay was good and on time and we had regular visits from the boss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

A sad view of your experiences.

 

Quite the opposite to my experiences in 20+ years of teaching in Thailand. Sure, there are some bad points I could mention but to put all of my experiences under the same umbrella would be misleading.

 

I have had some great jobs and worked with some great people, many of whom I am still in touch with years after leaving. I had a couple of bad experiences and left. Simple. Learned from those experiences and moved on.

 

I've worked direct hire and via agency. One agency was a nightmare. I lasted 2 months and moved on. My most recent teaching position was through a very good agency. They were supportive, we had a coordinator on site at all times, lesson plans and courses were all provided, pay was good and on time and we had regular visits from the boss.

That's very wonderful to hear. Do you mind if I PM you for a list of schools that you recommend?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2021 at 1:44 AM, farang10328470127340197412 said:

That's very wonderful to hear. Do you mind if I PM you for a list of schools that you recommend?

Sure. I will tell you first that they are all in Isaan.

 

Is that a location that would be of interest to you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, farang10328470127340197412 said:

I'm afraid not. I thought we were talking about real schools with with salaries. No school in Isaan will be able to match my current salary.

We are talking real schools and real salaries.

 

I find it distasteful, condescending and downright ignorant of you to put down a whole region of Thailand. I doubt you even have much knowledge of the area.

 

Now I understand why you have such difficulty getting on with people at work.

 

Incidentally, did you know a native English speaking Physics teacher can earn 120k in certain schools in Isaan? I doubt you did.

 

 

 

 

Edited by youreavinalaff
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 3:13 AM, Nick in Thailand said:

I've been offered a job right out in a small city near the Cambodian border and a job in a huge school in a North East city. Both paying 35k.

 

Any thoughts about the benefits of each? Thanks for the help so far. 

Even the top government schools in Bangkok offer low 40s for TEFL teachers. I only know of one that pays about 50.

 

However, teaching math or science in English programs will get you 70-80k at the top government schools in Bangkok. That's where the money always is.

 

35k up country for an easy job is worth more than 42k in Bangkok with high expectations.

 

That said, not all up country jobs are easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...