Red Line Test Run Starts

rooster59

ExZIFhRVgAA6jWL-1536x1023.jpg

BANGKOK, March 26 (TNA) – The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) started the test run of its Red Line system and the commercial service was expected to begin in November.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob presided over a ceremony to start the tentative operation of the Red Line system from Rangsit via Bang Sue to Taling Chan. The test run showed that a trip from Rangsit to Taling Chan took only about 40 minutes.

The SRT planned to allow commuters to use the Red Line free of charge for its further operational tests from July to October. After the four-month ‘soft opening’, the Red Line will begin its commercial service right away.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news/line-today-english-news-663225

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2021-03-27

• Like 1

Sadly, you will need to buy yet another stored-value ticket for the Red Line (at least for now), making that 4 now.

There is a government push to get both Rabbit and MRT+ accepted, but since neither existed when the system was designed and SRT resisted all attempts by their consultant to change the requirements this will be an extra-cost add-on, possibly working late next year.

Also, with no park and ride at Rangsit (and none planned that I'm aware of), the BTS at Khu Kot with two massive parking areas (stations N23 and N24) is still a better bet for those who have to drive to a station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where in Taling Chan is the station?  Is it going to use the existing SRT station?  There has been some work going on however no new station.  Two elevated U-turns have been built.  I thought these were feeders into the Chauchuk expressway.

Looks like I will have to spend a day riding the train back and forth while its free.  40 minutes each way, shopping in Rangsit on the first trip, then going back to Taling Chan where after a second ride to Rangsit we can eat lunch, etc... you get the Idea it could be a fun filled day and relatively free.  Ah air conditioned cars.  I have watched many Thai folks do this on the MRT, and as they never leave the station just get back on and ride back to where they started, its a cheap day for them instead of sitting in Starbucks saving electricity at home.  

20 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Where in Taling Chan is the station?  Is it going to use the existing SRT station?  There has been some work going on however no new station.  Two elevated U-turns have been built.  I thought these were feeders into the Chauchuk expressway.

IIRC The existing station at Taling Chan Junction is the last stop.

13.789421, 100.439352

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh my God!!  Bang Sue?

Yup.

I understood that the diesels were supposed to operate on the upper floor where there's a nice "open" roof for them to pollute.

We shall see exactly how it all works once the long-distance trains start using it.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:42 AM, lujanit said:

The existing new Taling Chan station was completed in mid 2012 as part of the SRT Light Red line, it was built for this project. The line then operated with 6 daily services using DMUs from Dec 2012 until it was ceased in Feb 2014 due to the lack of rolling stock.

Originally, the Light Red line was going to use diesel rolling stock and the SRT Dark Red line electric. Thankfully, that changed later and the Light Red line was electrified as part of the Dark red line electrification contract.