Thailand approves quarantine waiver for tourists, orders more vaccines

rooster59

9 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

When children started school recently there was an immediate increase in cases. Children have not been vaccinated and have probably been the most prevalent of carriers and most likely to infect others spreading the virus to parents and thus further to others

Opening up schools and universities is indeed the biggest worry. Hopefully children's vaccinations will be approved soon.

Personally. after all the over 50s have had their second dose, I would work from the youngest upwards. The younger generation do seem to produce the most superspreaders, probably because they are the least likely to follow Covid rules.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Exactly, shorter quarantine is stupid, for anyone not vaccinated. 

But as you say there are problems with new strains and outbreaks, with the new strains showing longer tails. 

Add to that Astra vaccine problems and the political arguments over supply, and I don't see a smooth ride here. 

NZ about to open a travel bubble with Australia now looking shakey again after a breakout in Brisbane. 

The breakout? It's just one person lol

9 hours ago, polpott said:

It depends on your visa type. I am here on a retirement visa so no need to have a return flight from Thailand. Never fill in the departure date on my TM6

Correct...I was the same as you,until i escaped,but the OP is not on a retirement extension,which is what you are on,not a visa!

He is on a TV,which requires an outbound date and ticket.

More about : Foreigners The Government seems to obsess over this word.

No vacationers are coming. Especially if you keep calling people: "Them".

Im going to take a guess that no one in the Tourist Ministry is reading European, America's, or Asian International Newspapers?  

Lock down, unemployment, and 3rd waves are eminent. No flights, no pilots. 

Air Cargo from Australia is stopped.  Only the vultures of Fed Ex, DHL, and likes are flying at 4x the cost of Aussie Post.

Just Stay Home.  ....as our Prime Minister announced.   

9 hours ago, Scofield said:

I emailed the Meridien and they told me 10 days for the UK but I can’t leave the room till day 11 - 2nd test. The 10 days is actually 12.

Not a chance I’m staying in a room for 11 days. 

Well you know the answer to that then. I just got back to Oz on my 5th round of quarantine. It's not that big a deal. You have some drama dealing with yourself for a couple weeks.

I had an awesome roomy suite in BKK with a balcony sure the last couple days dragged but like you and many other people you just don't want it bad enough ..that's on you not on Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, polpott said:

As I'll probably be getting the AZ vaccine, that's 2 doses 3 months apart. One when I first arrive in the UK at which time I'll be given an appointment for my second dose. I will return to Thailand shortly after my second dose.

If you don't have the right documentation would would need to be re-vaccinated. That's 4 doses. Hope you have the right paper.

52 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

If you don't have the right documentation would would need to be re-vaccinated. That's 4 doses. Hope you have the right paper.

You would hope that wasn't the case. The real can of worms for most of the world is 3 months after you have been vaccinated.  Then your back to square one. Or at least as far as some countries are concerned so you will only get one quarantine free vacation. Unless the literature changes

4 hours ago, Bradmeister said:

Im going to take a guess that no one in the Tourist Ministry is reading European, America's, or Asian International Newspapers?  

Air Cargo from Australia is stopped.  Only the vultures of Fed Ex, DHL, and likes are flying at 4x the cost of Aussie Post.

My dad sends me stuff all the time Aussie post . Got  a package couple weeks ago. Please derail any info you have regarding Australia post not delivering to Thailand cos it's news to me.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:56 PM, DerbyDan said:

I wonder if the hotel rates will double when it's reduced to 7 days.

They lowered the rates for 10 days so this will likely be the same.

6 hours ago, polpott said:

Opening up schools and universities is indeed the biggest worry. Hopefully children's vaccinations will be approved soon.

Personally. after all the over 50s have had their second dose, I would work from the youngest upwards. The younger generation do seem to produce the most superspreaders, probably because they are the least likely to follow Covid rules.

6 hours ago, Dene16 said:

whilst i don't disagree with your initial statements  you must remember we are also in lockdown, so just as before,, cases and deaths are obviously going to drop drastically. When children started school recently there was an immediate increase in cases. Children have not been vaccinated and have probably been the most prevalent of carriers and most likely to infect others spreading the virus to parents and thus further to others

Next should be those that have comorbitities regardless of age. The younger may spread it, but since the seniors are inoculated, it shouldn’t be a problem.

6 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

But as you say there are problems with new strains and outbreaks, with the new strains showing longer tails. 

Add to that Astra vaccine problems and the political arguments over supply, and I don't see a smooth ride here. 

NZ about to open a travel bubble with Australia now looking shakey again after a breakout in Brisbane. 

Incubation periods is only an estimate. It can be shorter or longer... regardless of variant. It is less likely the longer it is though. 

On 3/27/2021 at 10:08 AM, British Bulldog said:

My family and I have been desperate to get down to Phuket where we rent a Catamaran Yacht for a week or so every year, we live in Vientiane but get a direct flight from Udon to Phuket, as the rules are starting to relax, we see the light at the end of the tunnel, however, the one thing we did forget is .... trying to get back into Laos when we return, borders are still close, OK for my Lao wife and kids, but it still means 14 days in quarantine ... so unless we have a 'pass' to get back in, our trip and contribution to the Thai economy is a no go ... the point is; How many of these 100,000's or tourist that Thailand is trying to get to visit Phuket and alike, are in the same boat in their respected Countries ... trying to get back in and avoid a quarantine !

Yep, I'd like to do some clothes/IT items etc shopping/health check-up etc in Phuket, but I worry about being let back into Laos!

So I won't go and my $$ to spend in Thailand will stay in my pocket .....

7 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

i doubt it.

Arden said last week that the bubble would be state based.

So if the bubble was in place now, she would simply stop Queenslanders from traveling to NZ now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bradmeister said:

lol.

You seem to have an issue paying 4 times the price for postage, so get used to paying 4 times as much for hotel rooms and everything else as you "visit home"

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Maybe should have spent less time boasting about how great they were doing shutting everywhere down and more time preparing for when they needed to open again. 

They on salaries why should thay care?

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Yep, I'd like to do some clothes/IT items etc shopping/health check-up etc in Phuket, but I worry about being let back into Laos!

So I won't go and my $$ to spend in Thailand will stay in my pocket .....

Yeah good for you, stay over there that will show em! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Yuley said:

lol.

You seem to have an issue paying 4 times the price for postage, so get used to paying 4 times as much for hotel rooms and everything else as you "visit home"

Yep.  Whilst the rest of the world are doing there best to get on with it Australia and New Zealand still pumping the brakes. 2 people in Brisbane close the borders? Ridiculous 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, starky said:

Yep.  Whilst the rest of the world are doing there best to get on with it Australia and New Zealand still pumping the brakes. 2 people in Brisbane close the borders? Ridiculous 

I'm there now for surgery. This government has she'll be right mate as it's mission statement. At this rate they will miss the next high season. They need to pull the finger out 

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

I'm there now for surgery. This government has she'll be right mate as it's mission statement. At this rate they will miss the next high season. They need to pull the finger out 

I must be the kiss of death got to labuan last year "outbreak" started day I arrived . Got to Bangers December 23rd "outbreak" started the day I arrived. Got to Brissy 2 days ago "outbreak" started the day I arrived lol. They even had the hide to call a bloke who has already recovered as a case of community transmission.  But where we going with this? We have gone from not overwhelming the hospital system to no one in Australia is allowed to get it at all? What ever? Australia is literally a decade away at this rate from any sort of opening to international travel.

Edited by starky

10 hours ago, polpott said:

As I'll probably be getting the AZ vaccine, that's 2 doses 3 months apart. One when I first arrive in the UK at which time I'll be given an appointment for my second dose. I will return to Thailand shortly after my second dose.

Have managed to log in to the NHS web site www.nhs.service.nhs.uk  This shows your medical records. Both my jabs are on there including the one from Friday. This should provide more 'evidence' of vaccination. I am a computer dummy and only ballsed up the registration once!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, starky said:

Well you know the answer to that then. I just got back to Oz on my 5th round of quarantine. It's not that big a deal. You have some drama dealing with yourself for a couple weeks.

I had an awesome roomy suite in BKK with a balcony sure the last couple days dragged but like you and many other people you just don't want it bad enough ..that's on you not on Thailand.

Not sure you get the point. Integrity wise I’m not paying 2k GBP to be locked in a hotel room with a set menu. I’m a tourist, I’ll simply go to another country with no restrictions. Just like 99.9% are going to do.

Don’t want it bad enough? It’s a holiday, not training for a World title fight. This won’t even dent the tourism numbers but good luck to them.

You make it sound like it’s some elite destination like nowhere else on earth. News flash buddy, the world is a big place. The people will go where they are welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 10:19 AM, irishken said:

So, they are talking a lot about vaccinated people being allowed in. But since kids are not expected to be vaccinated until the middle/end of 2022, where does that leave families?. Will

the family still need to quarantine if the adults are but kids are not vaccinated? 

I would like to have an anwser to this question also, but I doubt those in charge haven't had any thoughts about it.

What I have read there is no a vaccine coming for kids soon. At least here in Finland they are very concerned possible

side effects. When swine flu was spreading government was hurry up to vaccinate children with unproved stuff.

Result was a lot of narcolepcy cases, so now they will wait for sure.

We are almost ready to hop Phuket in July,  if its possible for vaccinated parents with their kids to come, before heading

to see family of my wife. Another problem arises with the flights to Phuket. If You are forced to fly directly to Phuket.

Its difficult for sure as no direct flights from here during summertime, and prices to fly Phuket are much more higher than

to Bangkok. Schools starts in August, so next window to travel would be Christmas-New Year period, but rules to travel

will be different then anyway, so there is no much sence to speculate now what will happen in future.

Maybe we have to wait next year or more...

Another story is how many tourist will actually travel to Thailand this year. I don't know financical situations in other countries,

except the headilnes, but I am aware very well people's situation here, and it doesn't look nice at the moment. Many have decided

to spend their holidays in Finland also. Retirees will travel soon of course, as they have been vaccinated and steady income,

but working people not so much, especially those with kids. So it is perfect time to travel for those who can't stand kids noices and behaves????

Edited by Habbo

18 hours ago, bermondburi said:

I'm also a gold member on Gulf. You're miles validity and status expiry date will have been automatically extended so there's no time pressure there. 

Thanks that's good to know. I knew there was some extension to the time limits but I wasn't certain what they were. The other problem was whether there would be any Gulf Air flights to Thailand. Looking at their website there are flights shown on Saturdays only until June when there are Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday although this could change of course as it will be based on the ability to sell those flights.

On the Royal Thai Embassy site in London it shows only these airlines as being permitted to fly into BKK although this was dated 22nd August 2020.

- EVA Air

- Emirates*

- Etihad

- Qatar Airways*

- Singapore Airlines

- Lufthansa

- Austrian Airlines

- Swiss Air

- KLM

- Air France

- Cathay Pacific

Only Qatar and Emirates are able to fly direct to Phuket.

I'm assuming this should change but if not then I'd be forced to use another airline.

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

Thanks that's good to know. I knew there was some extension to the time limits but I wasn't certain what they were. The other problem was whether there would be any Gulf Air flights to Thailand. Looking at their website there are flights shown on Saturdays only until June when there are Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday although this could change of course as it will be based on the ability to sell those flights.

On the Royal Thai Embassy site in London it shows only these airlines as being permitted to fly into BKK although this was dated 22nd August 2020.

- EVA Air

- Emirates*

- Etihad

- Qatar Airways*

- Singapore Airlines

- Lufthansa

- Austrian Airlines

- Swiss Air

- KLM

- Air France

- Cathay Pacific

I'm assuming this should change but if not then I'd be forced to use another airline.

The info on the embassy website is out of date. As things stand Gulf are flying once a week to Bangkok via Singapore until June.

And reading between the lines they're just trying to get more people into one plane by combining 2 routes. I'm presuming that, like you say, once Thailand opens up, more flights will appear and the stop in Singapore will end, and depending on the new route take up, which Singapore is, they may or may not continue the service to there. 

Hope so, I want to check out the new terminal in Bahrain. Had a look at the new Falcon Gold lounge on YouTube and if looks great. Al la carte menu, pool table, VR games, sports TVs etc.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kimamey said:

- EVA Air

- Emirates*

- Etihad

- Qatar Airways*

- Singapore Airlines

- Lufthansa

- Austrian Airlines

- Swiss Air

- KLM

- Air France

- Cathay Pacific

The official Semi Commercial flights list is published and regularly updated by the Dept., of Consular Affairs, Bangkok and is on this spreadsheet, most recent update 16 March 2021:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijBJOTgFJPAuWUfkPIA60iniXB9j9Ba2XHafXzA6JCw/edit#gid=1507041608

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Taiwan? Am I right?

7 new cases today and the UN and most countries don't recognise it as a sovereign state. Part of the PRC. So no, nice try but no cigar.

Edited by polpott

On 2/12/2021 at 8:57 AM, KamalaRider said:

Not necessary with a lockdown, just make sure the vaccine is given to riskgroups and then open borders, ever heard about flock immunity?

Outside risk groups,  the virus is as deadly as a flue. 

Just now, peter48 said:

Anyone who thinks Covid19 is like seasonal Flu as one or two here say are misinformed. Covid  is a killer disease with 2.7 million deaths at present. You do not close down China, America, Russia, UK, France, Germany , Spain, Brazil etc for seasonal Flu. Covid kills many, fast and brutally and ICUs across the world have experienced that for months. Many of those suffering are in their 50s too. There is almost no inherited immunity  to Covid19. Its like a lottery which yes hits the over 60s most or those with conditions like obesity or diabetes but it also can hit younger people in 40s and middle aged women too. 

• Like 2