As hiring season approaches for government schools across Thailand, is there any news about any sort of visa rules relaxation, given that land borders are still closed?

Pretty much what the title says.

It'll soon be time to hire new teachers. Not many potential teachers will have entered as tourists. Few government schools and agencies seem able to get teachers into the country. Many of the people here might go home to get their vaccination or leave for a different country.

Will Thailand see sence and address the gaping whole in their visa system left by the land borders being closed?

• Like 1

Most people have been able to enter on tourist visas and visa exempt for some time now. If the school and the potential teacher can qualify for it a 90 day non-b visa entry can be applied for at immigration.

Embassies and official consulate are issuing non-b visa for teaching if a person can meet the requirements.

If a person was teaching before and entered and a non-b visa and a extension that was canceled but has been staying here under the amnesty they still can apply for a another extension with the correct supporting documents.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Most people have been able to enter on tourist visas and visa exempt for some time now. If the school and the potential teacher can qualify for it a 90 day non-b visa entry can be applied for at immigration.

Embassies and official consulate are issuing non-b visa for teaching if a person can meet the requirements.

If a person was teaching before and entered and a non-b visa and a extension that was canceled but has been staying here under the amnesty they still can apply for a another extension with the correct supporting documents.

Well, that all sounds like good news. Thank you. ????

If anything, the situation has tightened because of the situation in Ratchapruek where the teacher was caught on video physically abusing a little one. Before that, many schools hired teachers without a certified Bachelors degree with a wink and a nod. Now schools are refusing to hire as immigration is scrutinizing them carefully. I personally know of a school that had to let 15 teachers go because they didn't have the degree. I spoke with a school rep who told me they're desperate for native speakers but can't find any. They're resorting to hiring NNES and the parents aren't happy about it. This may change over the next month or so (early to mid-May is the start of the new school year) but we know how Thailand reacts slowly and not always logically.

We just registered our child at a govt primary school. The director specifically walked up to me to ask if Im a teacher and want a job. They are so desperate for teachers now. Covid has screwed things up for their business model. But they still only offer 30,000 baht a month. Ha ha. Very illogical strategy to keep the starter salaries so low when parents are paying extra money for expensive EP programs....

9 minutes ago, jack71 said:

Covid has screwed things up for their business model. But they still only offer 30,000 baht a month. Ha ha. Very illogical strategy to keep the starter salaries so low when parents are paying extra money for expensive EP programs....

Unfortunately, they have had a constant fresh supply of backpackers to exploit for such a long time, they have no idea what it is to offer a competitive salary or to value an employee.

I hope some change comes out if this, but I doubt it.

Low pay, hard working conditions, difficulty of building a life long-term, now add covid and it's related xenophobia to that mix. The kids are wonderful, but everyone has limits.

12 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Unfortunately, they have had a constant fresh supply of backpackers

Maybe in the past but not this yr. Global travel restrictions due to the Chinese virus has left the schools in a desperate situation regarding foreign teachers. This is exactly what the director said to me as well. 

26 minutes ago, jack71 said:

We just registered our child at a govt primary school. The director specifically walked up to me to ask if Im a teacher and want a job. They are so desperate for teachers now. Covid has screwed things up for their business model. But they still only offer 30,000 baht a month. Ha ha. Very illogical strategy to keep the starter salaries so low when parents are paying extra money for expensive EP programs....

If they were really desperate they would actually increase the salary. In your case he was just looking for low hanging fruit.