Thailand loses 1.45 million tourism jobs from pandemic: tourism group

snoop1130

41 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I posted in another thread that mutating virus will basically kill Thai tourism economy forever.

However, losing a tourism related job does not mean you can't get another one.

It does if the lazy, xenophobic and selfish elites do nothing to develop the economy. That is the risk for the normal Thais. Will their elites help them create a bigger economy that all Thais can share in? Or will the elites continue to use Thailand as their playground, exploiting the normal Thais to become super wealthy? 

I think I know the answer 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 2:47 PM, snoop1130 said:

From July, inoculated tourists will be allowed to visit Phuket without the mandatory two-week quarantine, and from October Pattaya, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, Phang Nga and Krabi.

Smart idea! ????

So - in the raining season, you open up first the region fully exposed to the South-West-monsoon ?

And Samui, sheltered by the mountains, you keep closed?

And additional to that you also close less affected areas, like Chiangmai and Pattaya?

Since nearly everything that gets published here in Amazing Thailand is a ways from actual facts, and truth, it is likely more like 10 million jobs lost. Especially when you consider they are likely not counting any of the "cash economy" jobs, which make up the majority of the economy here, and are half of the total jobs, or more. 

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:
On 3/30/2021 at 6:29 PM, Moonlover said:

Yes, I'm sure we're all aware of that, but I was referring to a post that was specifically about Thailand.

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

Actually you referred to a post concerning potential tourists .

I have reread the post you refer to and concede that: ''Few airlines are considering scheduling flights to Thailand especially when Covid infections are on the rise and vaccine programme unlikely to get underway until next year'' could easily be misconstrued as referring to specifically Thailand. However the poster has not commented on this issue, so maybe it wasn't misconstrued.

Edited by Moonlover

On 3/29/2021 at 8:02 PM, YetAnother said:

there will be an absolute horde of hospitality vendors , in the thai fashion, jacking up prices way over the top , to make up for their lost revenue

And as a consequence, they will lose yet more money. Short-termism at it's finest.

They never seem to learn.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have reread the post you refer to and concede that: ''Few airlines are considering scheduling flights to Thailand especially when Covid infections are on the rise and vaccine programme unlikely to get underway until next year'' could easily be misconstrued as referring to specifically Thailand. However the poster has not commented on this issue, so maybe it wasn't misconstrued.

I suggested some time ago that there were 2 aspects to fighting the current pandemic.

Obviously the first was to try and limit infections and deaths , the second was to have a robust recovery plan.

The later very much hinges on a speedy and efficient vaccination programe I think.

Thailand really needs to get its act together in regard to that if it wants tourism to recover quickly.

From a UK perspective there is certainly pent up demand for holidays and , because of heavy government financial support , rather more money in pockets than might be supposed.

The destinations of choice will be those with least restrictions and considered safest , ie those with a large degree of the population vacinated.

I daresay carriers will also follow this trend with more limited flights to less popular spots.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I suggested some time ago that there were 2 aspects to fighting the current pandemic.

Obviously the first was to try and limit infections and deaths , the second was to have a robust recovery plan.

The later very much hinges on a speedy and efficient vaccination programe I think.

Thailand really needs to get its act together in regard to that if it wants tourism to recover quickly.

From a UK perspective there is certainly pent up demand for holidays and , because of heavy government financial support , rather more money in pockets than might be supposed.

The destinations of choice will be those with least restrictions and considered safest , ie those with a large degree of the population vacinated.

I daresay carriers will also follow this trend with more limited flights to less popular spots.

I agree with you and from what I have read, so do the Thai authorities. Which is why they plan to vaccinate the the popular tourists areas and especially those persons directly involved in the industry first.

By creating the so called 'travel bubbles' they can get the tourist coming again. Let's give them a chance shall we, instead of constantly berating them.

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I agree with you and from what I have read, so do the Thai authorities. Which is why they plan to vaccinate the the popular tourists areas and especially those persons directly involved in the industry first.

By creating the so called 'travel bubbles' they can get the tourist coming again. Let's give them a chance shall we, instead of constantly berating them.

The one aspect of the Thai covid response that warrants severe criticism, is the lack of financial support for affected individuals and small businesses.

In truth though it simply demonstrates the fuedal tendencies of the current administration.

On 4/3/2021 at 8:20 AM, Moonlover said:

They had endless chances already but keep to be arrogant and xenophobic, with this as one of the results.
Somehow they also do not seem to realize that 3/4th of the tourism sector was depending on Chinese already, as they have been scaring the rest away since around 2015.

So I have little hope for them as Thailand isn't a hot item for westerners since years, Vietnam and cheap countries are for this region only. Who wants to pay 170 baht for a cocktail anyway if you can get it for 50 baht elsewhere, with identical weather and atmosphere. Obviously people go for the 50 baht one, that is how Thailand once became populair (as only reason) in the first place.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They had endless chances already but keep to be arrogant and xenophobic, with this as one of the results.
Somehow they also do not seem to realize that 3/4th of the tourism sector was depending on Chinese already, as they have been scaring the rest away since around 2015.

So I have little hope for them as Thailand isn't a hot item for westerners since years, Vietnam and cheap countries are for this region only. Who wants to pay 170 baht for a cocktail anyway if you can get it for 50 baht elsewhere, with identical weather and atmosphere. Obviously people go for the 50 baht one, that is how Thailand once became populair (as only reason) in the first place.

2019 tourist stats.  China: 10.9 million.  Rest of Asia: About 15 million.  Europe and North America: about 8 million.  China is, yes, very important but it is not '3/4th of the tourism sector...'.  8 million western tourists is not bad; it's still an important sector, just not the biggest.   Remember in 2010 the total number of tourists was less than 11 million.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 3:33 PM, HK MacPhooey said:

The good people of Thailand need anyone that can bring in any foreign currency at this dire time of government imposed self destruction... even people like 'him', whoever people like him might be!

Really?  People who dish Thailand at every opportunity and don't even live here! They are almost as worse as the people who live here but still moan like F@@K!