March 29, 20215 yr I've spent a lot of time in LOS over the past 15 years but I have never been in a house either western or Thai that has been built with cavity walls, they always have the tell-tale concreate pillars every 2 or 3 metres with a single skin of blockwork. I get the tradition and the building style but is there any reason I can't build my house on strip foundations with a 9 inch cavity wall?
March 29, 20215 yr Popular Post No reason what so ever, ever wall in my house , except a couple of inside walls are cavity wall, I even incorporated screened internal wall vents in all rooms that exited into the cavity and discharged above the ceiling into the roof space. Not one inside pillar showing either internally or externally Edited March 29, 20215 yr by Artisi
March 30, 20215 yr 10 hours ago, cliveuk said: I've spent a lot of time in LOS over the past 15 years but I have never been in a house either western or Thai that has been built with cavity walls, they always have the tell-tale concreate pillars every 2 or 3 metres with a single skin of blockwork. I get the tradition and the building style but is there any reason I can't build my house on strip foundations with a 9 inch cavity wall? There are a number of examples on CoolThaiHouse, mine is one of them. I used AAC blocks and have great sound and heat reduction inside.
March 30, 20215 yr 11 hours ago, cliveuk said: I get the tradition and the building style but is there any reason I can't build my house on strip foundations with a 9 inch cavity wall? No reason whatsoever. I assume by 9" cavity you mean overall. Most cavity brick use 50mm (2") cavity and sisolation insulation. Sometimewood worker would know more about the cavity size given his "hide the pillars" if you need to go that way. South Aus is typical as the white ant is so rampant down there, this has been pretty much their only alternative to brick and timber stud construction. Edited March 30, 20215 yr by bluejets
March 30, 20215 yr 4 hours ago, bluejets said: Sometimewood worker would know more about the cavity size given his "hide the pillars" if you need to go that way. My cavity sizes are varied and are governed by the pillar size. So 25cm pillar is 7.5 X 2 AAC block so 10 cm air gap. the door surround it still to be finished.
March 31, 20215 yr Author Thanks for your replies. So when we build cavity walls in the UK we use wall ties every few coarses of bricks to bond the two skins together to give strength has anyone come across these in the local builders merchants of Issan or anywhere else for that matter?
March 31, 20215 yr 7 minutes ago, cliveuk said: Thanks for your replies. So when we build cavity walls in the UK we use wall ties every few coarses of bricks to bond the two skins together to give strength has anyone come across these in the local builders merchants of Issan or anywhere else for that matter? We also did a cavity wall with AAC bloc. We also used small filler pieces at places to glue both sides together They are available and were used at our build, take a picture and show your builder, or to the clerk at the store . If you cant find them you can easily make them out of galvanized sheet metal. They also use horizontal and vertical beams to give straight to the wall
March 31, 20215 yr 1 hour ago, sirineou said: We also did a cavity wall with AAC bloc. We also used small filler pieces at places to glue both sides together They are available and were used at our build, take a picture and show your builder, or to the clerk at the store . If you cant find them you can easily make them out of galvanized sheet metal. They also use horizontal and vertical beams to give straight to the wall I used the standard Thai red brick with 8" columns, this resulted in about 3" cavity. No extra vertical "beams" but horizontal beams at about half wall height, also incorporated from memory 2 /3 1" PVC pipe "vertical" thru the horizontal beams to vent the bottom cavity thru to the upper cavity.
March 31, 20215 yr For the strip foundation that become can become seperate compartment in some cases, I had 4" PVC pipe put thru to vent each compartment as well as thru' the outer foundation strip to vent the whole area the under house, these were screened to keep the bigger nasty things out - - the airflow coming from under the house is quite significant.
Create an account or sign in to comment