Non-Immigrant O-A Visa Extension

What's you confusion Jack.

Many of those from the US, UK and Australia using the income method are being asked for evidence that the income comes from pensions, such as a pension statement, it's been reported many times on TVF.

Your also neglecting to advice that currently many IO's are requesting proof of 12 x monthly overseas 65K transfers for annual extension applications, regardless of whether you just entered on a Non O or staying for some time on Covid extensions or from an Non O-A Visa.

Totally wrong in my opinion, but again reported on TVF.

With all these temporary changes due to Covid, Immigration appear to have confused themselves with requirements for annual extensions and what/which applies to individual applications.

Just saddle everyone with the 12 month 65K transfers, then they can't make an error and lose face.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW if I decided to use income method the income does not need to come from a pension.

What does it need to come from Jack.

Why not post the information for the OP to make an informed decision.

15 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

I will write a pension letter then. I have a us phone number they can call and also can answer the line with a voice scrambler so they don't know it's me.

That receives my dumbest post of the week vote.  ????

It would be so easy for us all if we could all write our own proof of pension letters.

They (Immigration) won't call a foreign pension provider.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The US has now had the E-Visa online application system thrown upon it, as the UK, France and China already had. The only good point is that the Non O single entry Visa is now available for the purpose of retirement.

They were issuing them before the e visa site was started in the US. They started issuing them when those on retirement visas and extensions could enter the country.

If they stay on e visa site they could decide not to issue them. I don't recall any reports of those from France getting them.

17 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That receives my dumbest post of the week vote.  ????

It would be so easy for us all if we could all write our own proof of pension letters.

They (Immigration) won't call a foreign pension provider.

I remember reading somewhere that income could come from overseas investments, but I don't remember where I read it.

I think what they are looking for is money being generated, and not just people tapping a savings account where they could ping pong the same funds back and forth. Text says "income or pension".

Edited by DerbyDan

6 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

I remember reading somewhere that income could come from overseas investments, but I don't remember where I read it.

What you read and what Immigration accept are two different things.

If your investments are such that you are receive interest of more than 65K per month, then you should be going for the Elite Visa option.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If they stay on e visa site they could decide not to issue them. I don't recall any reports of those from France getting them.

Once the Embassy is thrown onto applications from the E-Visa site, I don't think they can get away from it. I recall the UK Embassy putting up a protest to it's introduction, but they had little choice in the end.

The E-Visa site offers the same options for all applicants, whether the Embassy has the authority to decide differently I really don't know. Not many French nationals entering at all given the current climate. Edit, not many of any nationals entering at the moment compared to the average influx.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

or your paying above the going rate to many times a month for female 'companionship'.

Or your married and both your wife and Mother in-law have a new house

1 hour ago, DerbyDan said:

I will write a pension letter then. I have a us phone number they can call and also can answer the line with a voice scrambler so they don't know it's me.

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode.. This wouldn't be Vandaly Industries would it? 

Edited by tonray
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

- do a quick border-run when border-restrictions have been lifted, and return VisaExempt (can be done same day) and then apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at your local Imm Office, subsequently followed by a 1-year extension of stay application.   The advantage of doing so and difference with applying for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa at your local Imm Office, is that the 1-year extension of stay based on a Non Imm O Visa does NOT require the mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance that a Non Imm O-A Visa application mandates.

Small correction in the above >

... The advantage of doing so and difference with applying for the 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa at your local Imm Office, is that the 1-year extension of stay based on a Non Imm O Visa does NOT require the mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance that a Non Imm O-A Visa extension for reason of retirement mandates.

• Like 1

One thing to remember is the current Insurance requirements - both medical / health policy and Covid Insurance AND if you go out before your initial one year OA visa expiry - when you come back in you may get a second 12 month visa but anotated with the  expiry of your Insurance !!!  

10 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

when you come back in you may get a second 12 month visa but anotated with the  expiry of your Insurance !!!

You would exit Thailand just prior to POS  and you would obtain your next 12 month insurance policy. 2 years easily obtained.

BTW you don't get "second 12 month visa". You just get stamped in with 12 month POS and yes would need insurance.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

when you come back in you may get a second 12 month visa but anotated with the  expiry of your Insurance !!!  

He will get another 12 month permission of stay (a permit, not a Visa) subject to the expiry date of his Insurance.

Edited by Tanoshi

10 hours ago, tonray said:

Or you could just install Uber and call for a ride.

What I would really like to do is keep my property in the USA as kind of a "safe house" and just return every 2 years.

The problem is it requires a car. It's rural property and can't be accessed via uber or public transit.

That means I would need to store my car near the airport and it costs $300+ a month (just for an outside spot) and hope it starts after sitting for a year!

Seems like it's not worth it, but it's always smart to not burn all my bridges. Who knows what could happen! Visas change, legal problems, or viruses it's always good to have a fall back option.

7 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

The problem is it requires a car. It's rural property and can't be accessed via uber or public transit.

That means I would need to store my car near the airport and it costs $300+ a month (just for an outside spot) and hope it starts after sitting for a year!

I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard on ThaiVisa. you could rent a car at the airport..

Edited by tonray
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, tonray said:

I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard on ThaiVisa. you could rent a car at the airport..

Sure, just to get to the consulate for the visa, then to fly back.

But not for staying at my property. Monthly car rentals in the USA are insanely expensive for long term. Likely as much as the plane fare.

My property can't be lived in without a car 24/7. You need to haul in food, supplies and water. It's in the wilderness.

Edited by DerbyDan

7 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

What I would really like to do is keep my property in the USA as kind of a "safe house" and just return every 2 years.

Seems like it's not worth it, but it's always smart to not burn all my bridges. Who knows what could happen! Visas change, legal problems, or viruses it's always good to have a fall back option.

Why not simply rent a car at the airport when arriving in USA if you only foresee to go back once every 2 years.  Depending on the length of your stay you could once you arrived at your home, buy a cheap car for the remainder of your journey if the car rental costs would be too high for the full journey. 

Note: If you intend to visit your home-country once every 2 years, there is no doubt in my mind that - when not married to a Thai national - that applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country is your very best Visa option, as that Visa would provide you with almost 2 years of Immigration hassle-free stay with:

- NO need to apply for extensions at a local Imm Office during those 2 years;

- NO need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank account during those 2 years.

Also, it does not mean that you necessarily have to return immediately to your home-country at the end of those 2 years when your permission to stay is due to expire.  If it is more convenient to return during the 6-months window prior or after the expiry of your permission to stay, that is easy to arrange (but you should remember NOT to buy a Re-Entry Permit when contemplating that, as a Re-Entry Permit would make such arrangements more difficult).

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Why not simply rent a car at the airport when arriving in USA if you only foresee to go back once every 2 years.  Depending on the length of your stay you could once you arrived at your home, buy a cheap car for the remainder of your journey if the car rental costs would be too high for the full journey. 

Note: If you intend to visit your home-country once every 2 years, there is no doubt in my mind that - when not married to a Thai national - that applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country is your very best Visa option, as that Visa would provide you with almost 2 years of Immigration hassle-free stay with:

- NO need to apply for extensions at a local Imm Office during those 2 years;

- NO need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank account during those 2 years.

Also, it does not mean that you necessarily have to return immediately to your home-country at the end of those 2 years when your permission to stay is due to expire.  If it is more convenient to return during the 6-months window prior or after the expiry of your permission to stay, that is easy to arrange (but you should remember NOT to buy a Re-Entry Permit when contemplating that, as a Re-Entry Permit would make such arrangements more difficult).

Yeah, I could do that.

Just come in every year or two, rent a car for a couple weeks and stay at the property. 

If something drastic happened whereby I had to return to my home country permanently or due to medical issues I could by a cheap car and would still have a place to live here.

That would save storage costs on my car the whole time. It's a used car anyhow.

Really want to keep the funds in home country so that's a big plus for me.

Edited by DerbyDan

7 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

Just come in every year or two, rent a car for a couple weeks and stay at the property.

I think the advice from Peter Denis above is your best option. Some of your earlier posts re income method etc are "bit out there" to say the least.

Strike out income method. Strike out money in the bank (as you ruled that out yourself). Pretty much narrows it down to non O-A.

The only other alternative is agent.

Some folk hate notion of money in Thai bank. Can easily afford it however they use agent. 

On 3/30/2021 at 9:33 AM, Tanoshi said:

You'll require funds for expenses whilst in Thailand.

If you can transfer 65K per month into a Thai bank, 12 x 65K overseas transfers also meets the financial requirement to apply for an annual extension. (Known as the income method).

You could also use the 'combination' method to apply for an annual extension.

This requires funds deposited in a Thai bank + 12 x monthly overseas transfers totalling 800K for 12 months.

You cannot use the combination method any more.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, judokrab said:

You cannot use the combination method any more.

Yes you can if applying for an extension based upon retirement.

It is written the immigration orders that they are allowed.