permanent resident

You cannot apply for permanent residence if you are on extensions based upon retirement.

You have to working with a work permit and paying taxes for at least 3 years.

There was an order dated 2003 that allowed it but as far as I know nobody was able to do it when on retirement extensions and since about 2008 that order has not been used.

This file has the latest requirements. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dmitry2222 said:

What are benefits of the PR?  Will you lose PR status if you retire?

The main benefit is no more visa's or 90 day reports, it doesnt end when you retire

12 minutes ago, Dmitry2222 said:

What are benefits of the PR?  Will you lose PR status if you retire?

No more extensions of stay or getting visas (except non-quota immigrant visa if you want to leave and return without losing PR), no more 90 days reporting, ability to buy a condo (but not house) without transferring funds from abroad, and if bank approves (same conditions as for Thais) can finance it in your own name from a bank in Thailand as well.

Easier to get work permit (less scrutiny, apparently), detachment of extension of stay and work permit for those who work - losing work permit doesn't mean cancellation of permission to stay.

Having a permanent address (blue house registration) and usually pink ID, starting with 8, meaning you can only carry pink ID card in province of issuance, and use it to prove your address rather than having to request one from immigration all the time.

No tm28/30 registrations.

No questions asked when opening a Thai bank account when using pink ID (which has number that doesn't expire - so no need to keep updating it when passport is replaced).

For many (country dependent) it is also a prerequisite to avoid tax payments in country of citizenship.

And after having it for 5 years you can apply for a Thai citizenship.

From ones that are not so handy now - you are expected to use Thai passport counter at airport immigration and can use digital channel if you register for it, but still need to get stamped in the blue book after passing the automatic gates.

2 hours ago, Delight said:

If you google

'permanent residence Thailand 2021'

Then you will get your answer.

In general terms the Thai government are only interested in young people. They want young entrepreneurs.

All applicants must be able to speak and understand  the  Thai  language.

I believe(but not 100% sure) that if this status is granted then you lose  your birth nationality.

This in turn will mean you will lose your state pension-if applicable

This must set some kind of record, 6 fundamental errors (that I counted) in a very short post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

No questions asked when opening a Thai bank account when using pink ID (which has number that doesn't expire - so no need to keep updating it when passport is replaced).

Passport still sometimes required

For many (country dependent) it is also a prerequisite to avoid tax payments in country of citizenship.

Dream on

still need to get stamped in the blue book after passing the automatic gates.

Er, don't think so.Nobody I know with PR has ever done this.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there any way that a child born in Thailand (but with non-Thai parents) who has lived there all his/her life, been educated there continuously, can obtain PR once they reach 18/21 years old?  

Only through the usual process, after having worked in Thailand for some years, no special way.

Afaik if a child is born to two foreigners holding permanent residency, then the child would get Thai citizenship.

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there any way that a child born in Thailand (but with non-Thai parents) who has lived there all his/her life, been educated there continuously, can obtain PR once they reach 18/21 years old?  

If you got permanent residence your wife and child could apply for residency.

From page 5 of the file I posted earlier.

image.png.09afb96c6e2de843dd58afa23fd3a3bf.png

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find a child bon in Thailand is automatically a Thai citizen, regardless of parents nationality. Same as US

You are wrong. Only those whose mother or father is Thai is a citizen of Thailand.

Best to read the nationality act. You can find it in this pinned topic. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Only through the usual process, after having worked in Thailand for some years, no special way.

Afaik if a child is born to two foreigners holding permanent residency, then the child would get Thai citizenship.

A wife or child of a permanent resident can apply for residency but not citizenship. See my earlier post.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Passport still sometimes required

Sometimes. Opened bank account 3 months back, based on pink ID, where it shows my name in Thai in savings book. I had blue tabien baan, digital work permit, passport, police book and certificate of residence. Passport was not asked for and never picked off the desk.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Dream on

That was one of requirements for me to no longer be a tax resident in my country of citizenship.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I did and know several others. Although - those who registered with one PR booklet and then changed it, had a problem where they were rejected at the gate of automatic doors when sticking passport in. That worked fine before replacing the blue/white booklet. It was something about immigration messing something up and didn't fix it. Not sure if it's fixed now. But you can (with PR) go and get eChannel sticker in your passport after registering for the service at the airport (counter just after immigration).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If both foreign parents have PR, the child will be offered Thai citizenship. If any of the parents has PR, then the child can apply for PR BEFORE TURNING 18, as a child of a PR holder. That requires a lot of paperwork but I know of several cases where this was successful. After holding PR for 5 years, and being over 18, the child can apply for Thai citizenship. However PR and citizenship with only one parent on PR are not automatic and are still part of quota (100/nationality/year) and other conditions (obviously not employment but family ties to PR holder).

Edited by tomazbodner
Trust UbonJoe on this. He knows this stuff.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If both foreign parents have PR, the child will be offered Thai citizenship. If any of the parents has PR, then the child can apply for PR BEFORE TURNING 18, as a child of a PR holder.

Have seen nothing stating citizenship is possible. For PR there is no minimum age but the maximum age is 20.

Read the file I posted link to download for PR earlier in this topic.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Have seen nothing stating citizenship is possible. For PR there is no minimum age but the maximum age is 20.

Read the file I posted link to download for PR earlier in this topic.

I know several cases (Indian) who did just that. Their children have Thai citizenship from birth. But both parents had to have PR at the time when the child was born.

I stand corrected on the age. It's 20, not 18. Apologies.

Edited by tomazbodner
Added last paragraph

17 hours ago, jayboy said:

Have used the autogates more than 100 times on departure and same on arrival? Where is the legal requirement to obtain a stamp and on departure only, entry only or both? 

15 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Sometimes

That was my point.The pink card does not always work. A passport always does.I do agree the pink card will continue to be more generally accepted in the future.

That was one of requirements for me to no longer be a tax resident in my country of citizenship.

Care to share which country? Thai PR has nothing to do with tax - other than having paid it to qualify nor necessarily much to do with actual residence in Thailand - other being here at least one day a year.

I did and know several others

I'm not referring to PRs' use of automatic doors.It was your reference to the necessity of stamping the blue book that stumped me.

26 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

Have used the autogates more than 100 times on departure and same on arrival? Where is the legal requirement to obtain a stamp and on departure only, entry only or both? 

There is no such requirement, hence my question to the original poster.

Incidentally I'm impressed by your record at the autogates.I've only used them a few times with a success record of 50% or so.I eventually twigged that given the frequent technical difficulties (maybe solved now) with autogates I actually wasn't losing any time by using the normal immigration desks.I've always managed to get rapidly through immigration by joining the shortest queue - even the diplomatic one.Nobody seems to mind.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you need to read it again. It certainly does not apply in the majority of cases.

Nobody said it's the majority of cases, but in case of both foreigners having PR when their child is born, the child will have Thai citizenship from birth.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Nobody said it's the majority of cases, but in case of both foreigners having PR when their child is born, the child will have Thai citizenship from birth.

I don't see that in the nationality act. It certainly does not state it in section 7.

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A quick google search comes up with 2-3 sites that say the same

image.png

• Confused 1