"smart Drugs" Right Or Wrong? Would You Take Them?

Just read a very interesting article in Scientific American Mind magazine, about so called "Smart" drugs. Apparently many are in advanced clinical trials (in the USA), awaiting FDA approval.

The author states that "smart bars have popped up along the West Coast to sell these items". I for one could use Aricept (the brand name for donepezil) to help improve my flagging memory. We use caffeine and other common chemicals to enhance our mood or abilities, so why not a pill to make one smarter?

But is taking a pill to make you smarter or improve your memory wrong?

Just read a very interesting article in Scientific American Mind magazine, about so called "Smart" drugs. Apparently many are in advanced clinical trials (in the USA), awaiting FDA approval.

The author states that "smart bars have popped up along the West Coast to sell these items". I for one could use Aricept (the brand name for donepezil) to help improve my flagging memory. We use caffeine and other common chemicals to enhance our mood or abilities, so why not a pill to make one smarter?

Interesting ...

How many "smart" pills do you need to eat before you realize you were stupid to take even a single one?

I've seen aricept in use (for Alzheimers), to be honest it wasn't very effective at all, the woman taking it didn't have her decline arrested and she didn't improve in any noticable way. The family paid for it privately as it wasn't available on the NHS then. It was a blooming expensive do for no visible returns. Maybe she wasn't a good candidate. I would certainly take something to aid my memory when it starts to go if it was proven to work. I don't see any problem with improving the quality of life - fetal cells, stem cells etc? Bring them on.

Is it not better first to find out what causes the problems with the memory, before eating all these pills?

I, for example, notice a huge difference when I'm just tired and/or when I don't eat properly.

It can be that due to aging or circumstances the body asks for a bit more of certain nutrients. When given one feels much better together with a memory improvement.

Well, just my two simple cents,

Nienke

Nothing instrinsically right or wrong, maybe people who work hard and are naturally bright are applauded because of their hard work, but popping a pill to get the same level of intelligence would be seen as wrong somehow?

In the same article, the author stated that Ritalin, commonly prescribed for ADHD (attention def.disorder), is apparently also commonly used, (presumably in the States), to increase results of SAT tests. It is said that results can be improved by up to 100, which seems to me significant.

I see a correlation between steriods and sportsmen; and if we restrict the use of synthetic performance enhancers in sport, perhaps the same will happen with so called Smart Drugs. Maybe students will be tested for smart drugs before taking final exams?

Personally, I do agree with an earlier poster, if quality of life is improved (whether it be by stem cell/genetic/chemical) methods, then I see no problem. But that is assuming that there is not a serious downside to their use.

Sad about the lady who tried Aricept and did not improve, obviously everyones biochemistry and genes mean these therapies will not suit everyone.

Is it not better first to find out what causes the problems with the memory, before eating all these pills?

I, for example, notice a huge difference when I'm just tired and/or when I don't eat properly.

It can be that due to aging or circumstances the body asks for a bit more of certain nutrients. When given one feels much better together with a memory improvement.

Well, just my two simple cents,

Nienke

I have been hearing about a drug called Modafinil, http://www.modafinil.com/, that was originally created to combat narcolepsy and then found its way into use for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder. It has even been used to treat Alzheimer's. The military in the U.S. and other countries have been prescribing this to long range pilots and convoy drivers for a few years with great results. It is touted as increasing one's ability to focus on the task at hand and counter the effects of sleep deprivation without feeling wired. The beauty of this so far is that when it wears off, you can sleep and there is no dependency or side effect like with amphetamines, ect....

It is marketed in the U.S. under the name PROVIGIL, http://www.provigil.com/. They even have a little quiz that you can take to see if you could possibly benefit from it so you can then talk to your doctor.

I see drugs like these becoming more and more mainstream in the future much the same way the vitamins and OTC painkillers have.

Mike in Seattle