Bangkok entertainment venues face closure if COVID-19 situation worsens

snoop1130

1 hour ago, sambum said:

The older you are, the more likely it is to kill you, especially if you have underlying health problems.

On the flip side... if the younger generation are the ones most likely to spread it then inoculate them to minimise the risks and reduce the likely hood of the elderly getting it .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

Dying with Covid is quite normal. Dying of Covid is something completely different. In Norway, we have about 600 people dying with Covid. 67 of them died of Covid. They were all 85+.

You'll have to provide a credible link to prove that.  Otherwise....BS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marc mcmillan said:

The use of face masks was a lot easier to implement in Thailand .... Where as in the west it was a battle , "an infringement of civil rights" <deleted> were saying .

Funny how the outcry about Muslims wearing burkhas in public places has suddenly gone undergound!

23 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

No because there is not enough testing being done . Today's news EMA says that the Astrazeneca vaccine is cause of the trombose so that's also not so good news considering the vaccination .

They are doing testing.  A lot.  You just don't hear about it in the English language media sites.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

They are doing testing.  A lot.  You just don't hear about it in the English language media sites.

But they are only testing in areas where there is an outbreak not all over the country , so percentage wise they are still far behind on western countries . Both testing and vaccines . Maybe the vaccimes are starting to role out but as i said todays news EMA said Astrazeneca is cause of trombose so there is that .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

That was last year.... Bangkok this year has had many outbreaks but as yet no blanket lock-down..

just isolated areas. Unfortunately that doesn't work as most people still have freedom of movement.

This weekend will see many residents/workers heading nationwide for Songkran... 

Expect more news in a week or so.

Yes as I stated that was last year. If they could do it then, they could do it again.

Hopefully they won't go OTT. I'm all for sensible precautions but we need some perspective. The amount of road deaths over the Songkran break will be about 600% higher than the total number of Covid deaths in Thailand since the pandemic started, but I won't be too scared to get in my car or on my motorbike any more than I'll be too scared to have a couple of pints in a pub.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

No because there is not enough testing being done . Today's news EMA says that the Astrazeneca vaccine is cause of the trombose so that's also not so good news considering the vaccination .

"trombose" ? Nice word, but not in the dictionary - presume you mean "thrombosis"? 

5 hours ago, sambum said:

Any stats for the percentages of old deaths and young deaths? 2800 sounds a high figure, but when you look at the total number of cases in Brazil, (Second in the World table to the USA) i.e. 13,023,189 cases, and 333,153 deaths in total, the figure of 2800 "young people" doesn't seem so dramatically high.

13,023,189   333,153

Hint:

Look at the rising numbers of deaths since January 2021

and correlate them with the rise in vaccinations ...

????

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yup, you're right, if you believe there is only 1 soi in Bangkok

The news comes as Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Monday morning were offering free COVID-19 tests to people on Sukhumvit Soi 10.

14 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Isn’t Bangkok a ghost town during Songkran anyway?

All the (infected?) workers will be going back to their families in villages 

Bangkok is a city of 10 million people.  You could take all the Isaan workers out of the equation and there are still tons of potential spreaders.

You ever seen Songkran in front of Central World?  No shortage of bozos going crazy.  

If serious they would just leave the bars open until midnight but stop all travel in & out of Bangkok> The crazy huge movement of  people moving throughout Thailand for Songkran will ensure all 

provinces are infected

No logic here only local spending counts,,,, obviously

I would have thought the last places on earth any sensible person would go during a pandemic is Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy. An infected person is highly unlikely to visit one bar and could spread the virus like wildfire........real smart person/persons who allowed them to open during this time needs a sanity check

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, sambum said:

"trombose" ? Nice word, but not in the dictionary - presume you mean "thrombosis"? 

Or possibly Trombone as he wants to blow his own trumpet but did not have that instrument to hand ????????

32 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

I would have thought the last places on earth any sensible person would go during a pandemic is Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy. An infected person is highly unlikely to visit one bar and could spread the virus like wildfire........real smart person/persons who allowed them to open during this time needs a sanity check

When you consider who the real owners of these places are and also the ancillary income they provide to the other organised groups of the establishment, do you really think they would be closed down again ? bit like turkeys voting for Xmas

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

When you consider who the real owners of these places are and also the ancillary income they provide to the other organised groups of the establishment, do you really think they would be closed down again ? bit like turkeys voting for Xmas

Nana Plaza closed for two weeks since yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

But they are only testing in areas where there is an outbreak not all over the country , so percentage wise they are still far behind on western countries . Both testing and vaccines . Maybe the vaccimes are starting to role out but as i said todays news EMA said Astrazeneca is cause of trombose so there is that .

Agreed! No easy answers here.  Sad news about the AZ shot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Susco said:

Yup, you're right, if you believe there is only 1 soi in Bangkok

The news comes as Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Monday morning were offering free COVID-19 tests to people on Sukhumvit Soi 10.

One location of many.  Back when we had a problem here in Chonburi, I saw the mobile testing truck not far from my house.  They've got many of them.  Guess you won't know if you don't follow the Thai language news outlets.

They also test the sewage.  If the virus is found, they go to that neighborhood and start the testing.

23 hours ago, mortenaa said:

No, Corona virus is not a flu virus, its a "common cold" virus, like the previous SARS

There is no "common cold" virus as such. The common cold is a generalised term which can be caused by a variety of virus, one of which as you say can be the coronavirus. Hence the difficulty in establishing a vaccine for the common cold.

The common cold is an infection of the upper respiratory tract which can be caused by many different viruses. The most commonly implicated is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.[30] Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronaviruses (≈ 15%),[31][32] influenza viruses (10–15%),[33][34][35] adenoviruses (5%),[33] human respiratory syncytial virus (orthopneumovirus), enteroviruses other than rhinoviruses, human parainfluenza viruses, and human metapneumovirus.[36] Frequently more than one virus is present.[37] In total, more than 200 viral types are associated with colds.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Its been proven in UK that mass vaccination works. Thailand still has an opportunity to do the same.Then open up for mass tourism. The government need to throw everything at it but don't seem to be doing that quickly enough. When the UK variant gets in it will rip through the population like it has done in Europe.

• Like 1

People make me laugh on here. Talking about being sensible and not going to soi cowboy. Whe nhas that ever been sensible? I will take a moto taxi with no insurance,no crash helmet in the rain through poluted bangkok to soi cowboy, drink dangerous alcohol, waste my money on pool cigarettes and dangerouse fstty snacks,then make love to a teenage girl in a seedy room with no condom.