Where do the old age pensioners now retire ?

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Not all British pensions are frozen, only the state retirement pension. I have 2 others, one military and one company pension that do continue to be incremented.

We live comfortably in rural Issan on around 58,000 THB per month. House is all ours, (hers!) we have 2 motorcycles but no car.

Madam Moon gets 40K a month and no questions asked. I know that we feed more than the two of us, but that does not worry me. Her family are dirt poor so a bit of charity does no harm.

The 3 most important factors in our lives are no debts, we're both in good health and we're well off the grid as far as Covid is concerned. Count your blessings I always say.

No car, what do the folks in the village say about no car.

33 minutes ago, Covedian21 said:

I think these 2,000 baht places are more for students not for somebody who wants to live here. 

We once lived in a house that was only 2 K, but now they're asking for 4 K.

I could have bought it 20 years ago for only 400 K, now it's worth more than a million.

There are some really nice new condos at the end of my road for 2,500bht/month.

If you want a house, they start from 5,000bht/month.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:44 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree.

I think we've barely begun to see the long term effects of lockdowns and other restrictions. It's not, IMO, going to be pretty.

As you said, the rich will be fine, as will anyone in their private security force, but the rest of us are going to be lumping it, IMO.

I'm OK actually, but I'll miss the international whoring and boozing.

(But not all that much as I'm getting a bit too old for that now)

On 4/11/2021 at 9:58 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

45k is plenty if one doesn't drink alcohol, smoke tobacco products or rent girls by the night. Always assuming one has the 800,000 permanently saved and can afford medical insurance seperately from the 45,000.

40k is OK including excessive drink and a little smoking (but not tobacco), and I don't bother with the health insurance.

Not to mention only 400k as I have a Thai kid.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

No car, what do the folks in the village say about no car.

A small portion of the large amount of money that we save by not running a car is used to rent a local car and driver when Madam Moon wants to go visit her daughter or do the occasional big shop.

I'm sure they are very grateful for the income and I like the stress free position of not having to be concerned about owning a car or having to be a taxi driver, which I know I would be if we owned one.

We all win. ????

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There are some really nice new condos at the end of my road for 2,500bht/month.

If you want a house, they start from 5,000bht/month.

We pay not much for a nice house in a good area.

But that was only possible because the area got hit by a flood and the house was empty. 4,000 baht is a bargain for such a place. 

The same house would now be at least 6,000 baht, but here it starts to get weird.

We just had a discussion how stupid it was not to buy a house, instead of paying rent.

20 years ago, I was financially able to buy one, but decided not to, a huge mistake. 

Our house would be paid off and we could save a lot of cash. But you know when you've made a mistake when it's too late.

Edited by Covedian21