If You Are Not The Only Farang In The Family

This is directed at those of you who are married to Thais who have a brother/sister also married to a farang...

Be brutily honest, what do you think of him/her (them even)???

I ask because last night we had dinner with one of my wife's friends and her new boyfriend, an occassion that brought home the truth of the fact that Thais are every bit as bad at judging us as we are of judging them.

A lovely lovely girl (or at least that's what my wife tells me :o ) turned up for dinner with a slob.

I mean really, a low lifer.

You can choose your inlaws, but you can't choose the inlaws they choose.

Edited by GuestHouse

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier this year, my wife's half sister, who also lives in Pattaya, became involved with a Norwegian guy. We met them both for dinner one evening, and he seemed sort of OK, if a little odd, and was quite well to do - had his own car, condo etc.

The next time we met was at my place when she brought him over for a visit. This time I found him extremely odd. He had no conversation except himself and his troubles. Whatever you said to him, he would ignore it and switch the conversation to himself, and in particular about some Thai girl who has ripped him off. I put up with all this for the first and second visits - after all I am a very polite farang :D - but as time went on I became sick of the sight and sound of him. Even if I didn't speak to him , he would immediately launch into a diatribe about himself and his problems, and to make matters worse, his accent was so bad that you had to concentrate really hard to even understand what he was saying.

Finally I told my wife that the next time he came I would say hello, to be polite, and then disappear into my office or go and have a swim. I simply couldn't put up with the man any more - and this is the first time I have ever done something like this in my life. He continued to come, quite regularly, and I continued to ignore him. I just turned on the TV for him and left him alone.

Thank God the sister finally broke up with him, and that was that.

Not an experience I would want to repeat in a hurry. :o

This is directed at those of you who are married to Thais who have a brother/sister also married to a farang...

Be brutily honest, what do you think of him/her (them even)???

I ask because last night we had dinner with one of my wife's friends and her new boyfriend, an occassion that brought home the truth of the fact that Thais are every bit as bad at judging us as we are of judging them.

A lovely lovely girl (or at least that's what my wife tells me :D ) turned up for dinner with a slob.

I mean really, a low lifer.

You can choose your inlaws, but you can't choose the inlaws they choose.

my brother in law is a stupid jerk,he thinks he is a god when it comes to thais .he's low class swears all the time ,drinks like its going to run out ,and plays around a lot ,i keep as far away from him as possible,i feel sorry for my wifes sister who is charming and deserves much much more,unfortunatly the thais cant see a bum when they meet one ,my wife says its not our problem ,but...... :o

Earlier this year, my wife's half sister, who also lives in Pattaya, became involved with a Norwegian guy. We met them both for dinner one evening, and he seemed sort of OK, if a little odd, and was quite well to do - had his own car, condo etc.

The next time we met was at my place when she brought him over for a visit. This time I found him extremely odd. He had no conversation except himself and his troubles. Whatever you said to him, he would ignore it and switch the conversation to himself, and in particular about some Thai girl who has ripped him off. I put up with all this for the first and second visits - after all I am a very polite farang :D - but as time went on I became sick of the sight and sound of him. Even if I didn't speak to him , he would immediately launch into a diatribe about himself and his problems, and to make matters worse, his accent was so bad that you had to concentrate really hard to even understand what he was saying.

Finally I told my wife that the next time he came I would say hello, to be polite, and then disappear into my office or go and have a swim. I simply couldn't put up with the man any more - and this is the first time I have ever done something like this in my life. He continued to come, quite regularly, and I continued to ignore him. I just turned on the TV for him and left him alone.

Thats the "Norwegian Blue" variety. They are apt to pine for the fjords now and again. :D

Reading these replies, I'm pretty glad that I'm the only farang in the family, tbh... :D

OK, not Thailand, but similar situation. While living and working in the Philippines I was invited for a Christmas bash at a colleague's place. Very wealthy family with a nice home in Alabang. While there I met his sister or cousin, who was an attractive and overseas-educated young woman. I also met her new American husband, and it became clear after some conversation that this guy was a ne'er do well with a screw or two slightly loose. I would love to tell you the details, but it was about 5 years ago and no longer remember. I remember feeling very sorry for this young girl.

Here is a Thai-related situation. I had a friend who married a Thai woman I never much cared for. She had a sister who married a very wealthy European and my friend was always bummed because he came off unfavorably in any comparisons that involved money. And believe me, with his wife there were a lot of situations like that. Still married to her btw.

Well, this kind of cuts back of a recent comment on another forum today: Loads of western retirees/residents in Thailand are embittered, lecherous, old loser sex-pats/sex-tourists types, so it's only logical that the odds are not in your favour if you end up with one in your wife's family.

Then again, an incredible number of girls in my office married foreigners (not all of them living in Thailand) and they all seem really nice, young, decent guys.

Edited by chanchao

It is not a sister, but a cusin, my Girlfriend recently wanted me to go to her village to attend a wedding , her cusin was marring a Farang, I have met him one time before and found out he is in human trafficing, and the cusin is mama san in his horehouse in europe, they are constant luring new naive girls to europe to work in his place, and they are stuck there and are not allowed to leave.

I told my Girlfriend that even if her cusin was family and even if he is the only other Farang in the family, I was not going, and that I did not like him or her cusin, my Girlfriend went and came back very impressed with the new house he has bought her cusin and the 1 million bath in dowry, I tried to explain that that money was stolen from Thai girls working in europe and only beeing paid a small % of their real earnings, I have a hard time trying to make her understand how wrong this is.

Kind regards :o

Not in response to anyone in particular because I'm now truly entering thin ice:

If your wife is from a certain environment where she'd meet sexpat scum, then her siblings would likely be in the same league, resulting in a high possibility of a partner of said category.

If however your wife is from a more wealthy/classy background then first of all it becomes highly unlikely that a sister would marry a foreigner unless it was through you as an introduction, but even if she did then she might be fishing in a better pool herself.

Edited by chanchao

My GF's Stepfather is German and being as I'm English I thought this may be a problem before I met him, especially when She'd tell me how fastidious he is about the house always being spotlessly clean. But after meeting him and living in the same house for 6 weeks I must say I like the guy very much. I think he liked having me around as well because his Wife/my GF's Mother likes to keep him indoors as much as possible and I made a point of inviting them out with us on nights out and a trip to Hua Hin.

Maybe if he was a Bavarian things would be different but he's from the former East Germany and is a Saxon by blood I believe and I'm an Anglo Saxon so it could be in our genes to get along. As for the obsessive cleaning it's not a problem as I let him clean the house from about 7am and by the time I get out of bed about 10am it's all nice and clean for me.

Chanchao, it's not just a question of class or background. Worse things happen elsewhere. My well brought up English daughter married the defective offspring of a police inspector and a lady barrister, against all good advice. He was a right plonker and obviously the family idiot but we all had to stand by for 3 years while the match deteriorated to the predictable conclusion. She actually asked my opinion before marrying again.

it realy depends on attitude.

I am married to a wonderfull Thai woman for over 9 years, her sister is married to a swiss and another sister is married to an american. they are all easy going.and great people.

if the guy is nice and respects the local values and is a nice person. there should be no problem.

Both my wifes sisters are married to ferrangs, one Italian and another Brit.

The three of us get on famously - can easily slip into the garden for a bbq and throw back several beers. We tend to let the girls get together and have a chinwag, but emulating what they do.

To sum up, nice bunch of chaps.

My GF's Stepfather is German and being as I'm English I thought this may be a problem before I met him, especially when She'd tell me how fastidious he is about the house always being spotlessly clean. But after meeting him and living in the same house for 6 weeks I must say I like the guy very much. I think he liked having me around as well because his Wife/my GF's Mother likes to keep him indoors as much as possible and I made a point of inviting them out with us on nights out and a trip to Hua Hin.

Maybe if he was a Bavarian things would be different but he's from the former East Germany and is a Saxon by blood I believe and I'm an Anglo Saxon so it could be in our genes to get along. As for the obsessive cleaning it's not a problem as I let him clean the house from about 7am and by the time I get out of bed about 10am it's all nice and clean for me.

whatever you do don't mention the war.

i am intriuged by your take on germans, still working through some issues?

you realize your current royal family is of german descent?

Doesn't matter and for those old enough to just remember, they still bombed our chip shops - that was, and always will be unforgivable.

Not in response to anyone in particular because I'm now truly entering thin ice:

If your wife is from a certain environment where she'd meet sexpat scum, then her siblings would likely be in the same league, resulting in a high possibility of a partner of said category.

If however your wife is from a more wealthy/classy background then first of all it becomes highly unlikely that a sister would marry a foreigner unless it was through you as an introduction, but even if she did then she might be fishing in a better pool herself.

You knew you where going out on thin ice, allright then, this is not aimed at you :o

But since I have come to this country it has become clear to me that the worst scum among the Thai people is to be found among the wealthy/classy seen with my moral standarts.

You knew you where going out on thin ice, allright then, this is not aimed at you :D

But since I have come to this country it has become clear to me that the worst scum among the Thai people is to be found among the wealthy/classy seen with my moral standarts.

Some of them are not classy at all though - they look cheap as eff in their Versace on 50 year olds ;-)

There is often truly horrid farang piece of scum attached to them as well though - came to Thailand as sex tourists, stayed as sexpats and then try to deny their long term large scale participation in the sex scene of Thailand - plenty of these hypocrites about too. :o

No issues, just being a realist. You'd have to be blind, deaf and stupid to not know that there is more than the occasional problem between the English and the Germans, I mean they did try to kill my parents.

But I give everyone a fair go.

And yes I do know that our royal family is partly of German descent, I also know that my ancestors originated from among other places the North Sea coast of Germany 1500 years ago.

I'm not married so I don't really qualify to have an opinion but I would say, crikey GH the woman's only a friend of your wife. What would you be like when your daughter brings home her first bf? You say the guy's a low life, well give us an idea what constitutes a low life in your eyes. Not that I'm disagreeing but it would be good to know what type of person he was/is.

larvidchr, that's a tough position you've got yourself in there. I'm not sure what I'd do as human traffiking, along side paedophilia and drug pushing, is one of the things I wouldn't like to be turning a blind eye to. Problem is it's family and if you do something about it you are dead meat. If you do nothing you have to live with your concience. Hmmmm.......

Keebone, that's right where I've been living the past 15 years. I married into an East German family and have never regretted it. My wife died recently but I'm still very much a part of the family. Coming from northern England I notice a lot of similarities in the character and dialect of the people here. It's like living with Thais or any other foreigners, I suppose, but easier to integrate once you've learned the language.

larvidchr, that's a tough position you've got yourself in there. I'm not sure what I'd do as human traffiking, along side paedophilia and drug pushing, is one of the things I wouldn't like to be turning a blind eye to. Problem is it's family and if you do something about it you are dead meat. If you do nothing you have to live with your concience. Hmmmm.......

Thanks for pointing that out Phil :D No truely, when you know youre only a small fish in a sea of big sharks, the options are extremely limited, sometimes you just have to let things slide. :o

Kind regards :D

You say the guy's a low life, well give us an idea what constitutes a low life in your eyes. Not that I'm disagreeing but it would be good to know what type of person he was/is.

maybe he's young,very good looking,but with no job at the moment????? :o

Edited by uptou

Mobi, it could have been much worse, ...................it could have been me!.. :D

Apart from myself, I can't think of any other Farang who would be worthy of my wife's 18 year old sister.

I certainly would never recommend any Farang, probably cos all the Farangs I see in Thailand are total rubbish.

Apart from myself, I can't think of any other Farang who would be worthy of my wife's 18 year old sister.

I certainly would never recommend any Farang, probably cos all the Farangs I see in Thailand are total rubbish.

I don't imagine you see too many in Loei.

Most of us good falangs stay home at night so you wouldn't see us.