If You Are Not The Only Farang In The Family

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God the sister finally broke up with him, and that was that.

Not an experience I would want to repeat in a hurry. :o

Mobi, it could have been much worse, ...................it could have been me!.. :D

I suspect I would have a better time of it with you, as I doubt you'd have ever made it through the front gate on your first visit :D - unless, of course you go-hoked about who you really were. :D

Seems to be a lot of judging of character in this thread, people saying others are low class and low life. I have found that usually those who feel the need to look down upon others are those with something to hide themselves.

I have found that usually those who feel the need to look down upon others are those with something to hide themselves.

What could one possibly want to hide on an anonymous internet forum ?

I think people should look up to, and respect their peers.

As I have no peers, I'm kinda stuck.................

I hope none of my wife's family would ever marry a farang.

I'll second that. :o

People keep saying that. Now you guys get me confused. Thai guys (in most people's opinion here) are obviously not the choice. Now farangs are no good for these girls. Who da heck should they get married with? :D

Edited by solid

What could one possibly want to hide on an anonymous internet forum ?

I think people should look up to, and respect their peers.

As I have no peers, I'm kinda stuck.................

yeah you have no-one to look up to because your too busy looking down your nose at people... shame that in that particular direction your missing all the good people in the world that you should be looking up to. Still as long as your happy... :o

I'll second that. :o

People keep saying that. Now you guys get me confused. Thai guys (in most people's opinion here) are obviously not the choice. Now farangs are no good for these girls. Who da heck should they get married with? :D

Wait up, Solid.

There's an acute shortage of marriageable women in China and they're a lot nearer to LOS than us farangs.

They're comung at you as I write.

I still haven't figured out why so many farangs fly halfway around the world to find a suitable woman and land up with their hands full of trouble, visa probs, family, scams, rejection.

From what I've read in this forum, more than half the guys deem themselves so eligible that they look down with absolute contempt on oldsters with BGs.

Because they can snag a decent hi so career girl like picking apples from a tree.

How come these superstars didn't score on their own turf? Or are Euro women too feisty for them? I give up, over to you.

I still haven't figured out why so many farangs fly halfway around the world to find a suitable woman and land up with their hands full of trouble, visa probs, family, scams, rejection.

I think you've got it wrong. Farangs come for 2 reasons.

1. To find women not suitable, but unsuitable for permanent companionship. Then they go back happily home or they are charmed out of their socks and forget they were looking only for temporary companionship and get into the trouble you mention.

2. Come to Thailand for other reasons, such as work, to see the world, just another country on their list, etc. and then actually find one of the hard to find suitable women in Thailand.

:o

This is directed at those of you who are married to Thais who have a brother/sister also married to a farang...

Be brutily honest, what do you think of him/her (them even)???

I ask because last night we had dinner with one of my wife's friends and her new boyfriend, an occassion that brought home the truth of the fact that Thais are every bit as bad at judging us as we are of judging them.

A lovely lovely girl (or at least that's what my wife tells me :o ) turned up for dinner with a slob.

I mean really, a low lifer.

You can choose your inlaws, but you can't choose the inlaws they choose.

"...the truth of the fact that Thais are every bit as bad at judging us as we are of judging them..."

Very well said.

MF

I think you've got it wrong. Farangs come for 2 reasons.

1. To find women not suitable, but unsuitable for permanent companionship. Then they go back happily home or they are charmed out of their socks and forget they were looking only for temporary companionship and get into the trouble you mention.

2. Come to Thailand for other reasons, such as work, to see the world, just another country on their list, etc. and then actually find one of the hard to find suitable women in Thailand.

It's still a long way to go just to get suckered.

I can do that at home and save the air fare.

If you burn your boats you're out on a limb when your money dries up.

If you keep your ties to home (and income) you run the risk of being scammed or cuckolded while you're away printing more bucks to squander over there.

The logic of all this escapes me.

My brain hurts now from all this pondering.

I'm going to bed.

Here's my observation.

Know the old 'my wife/gf is different' story?

We'll, a lot of you guys sound the same, basically all saying 'I'm different'.

Just as dicey IMHO.

Stop judging everybody else as 'below' yourself.

Edited by OlRedEyes

Into the fourth page and the OP hasn't been back? If it wasn't for the fact that it is our esteemed colleague GH I'd be ringing the T.... bell. I think it is just GH playing mind games with us. Get us off the Thai bashing and onto beating each other up instead.

Note the lack of detail, merely the equation: Farang = Low life. No nationality mentioned just a farang.

Here's my observation.

Know the old 'my wife/gf is different' story?

We'll, a lot of you guys sound the same, basically all saying 'I'm different'.

Just as dicey IMHO.

Stop judging everybody else as 'below' yourself.

Its always the same....

cricket1.wav

I am not the only farang in the family, my wife's mother is married to a Swedish man and 2 of her cousins (aunties) are married to farangs. 1 is married to a man from the UK as i am from the UK myself, and the other is married to a man from Switzerland, who is really a big joke.

When i first came to live in the village with my wife and daughter it was ok, the guy from the UK told me that i would have problems as the auntie that is married to the Switz guy thinks that she is the big money lady in the village because she has good money as she is married to the guy from Switzerland.

I have a good job and i make good money as i work offshore, it is as if she is loosing face now as the villagers know i have big money more than her and her husband( as far as the villagers are concerned i do have big money) but i do not through my money around, yes i will help people if i can.

Now they are trying to brake me and my wife's marraige up, he is as bad as her, i think his problem is is that she is making him spend more money than he can afford to try and make it look to the villagers like they have as much money as us. It is pathetic really, and my wife knows what is happening , so we just sit and laugh about it. I am a bit worried though as i can see it coming to a head, and i am going to lose my rag with them.

Until then i will only laugh at them.

Well guesthouse you did say to be brutal and honest.

I would rather not have farang in the family as i have noticed nothing but jealousy, from the Thai and farang.

Cheers Geordie

Edited by geordie

I am not the only farang in the family, my wife's mother is married to a Swedish man and 2 of her cousins (aunties) are married to farangs. 1 is married to a man from the UK as i am from the UK myself, and the other is married to a man from Switzerland, who is really a big joke.

When i first came to live in the village with my wife and daughter it was ok, the guy from the UK told me that i would have problems as the auntie that is married to the Switz guy thinks that she is the big money lady in the village because she has good money as she is married to the guy from Switzerland.

I have a good job and i make good money as i work offshore, it is as if she is loosing face now as the villagers know i have big money more than her and her husband( as far as the villagers are concerned i do have big money) but i do not through my money around, yes i will help people if i can.

Now they are trying to brake me and my wife's marraige up, he is as bad as her, i think his problem is is that she is making him spend more money than he can afford to try and make it look to the villagers like they have as much money as us. It is pathetic really, and my wife knows what is happening , so we just sit and laugh about it. I am a bit worried though as i can see it coming to a head, and i am going to lose my rag with them.

I would rather not have farang in the family as i have noticed nothing but jealousy, from the Thai and farang.

Cheers Geordie

I think the problem here is not farangs, but that big face auntie. Cut her out of the equation, I guess the story will be happier.

I find the idea of farang being rude about other farang to be out of place. However I did have a similar situation. I am married to a very nice Thai lady and we have a comfertable house in Hua Hin. Unfortunately our daughter (my step daughter) has the habit of attracting the wrong type. Not so long ago she turned up at the door with a young englishmen. He announced they'd like to stay for a few days. Well long story to short, it was six weeks before we got rid of him. He was "between jobs" and hung around, lying in bed till midday, generally dirty and slobbish. Now I understand the "soap dodging" remarks. He also seemed to think it was my job as his "father in law" to stand for drinks, never putting his hand in his pocket. Someone I had nothing in common with as I am a generally clean person who pays for himself.

It is not a sister, but a cusin, my Girlfriend recently wanted me to go to her village to attend a wedding , her cusin was marring a Farang, I have met him one time before and found out he is in human trafficing, and the cusin is mama san in his horehouse in europe, they are constant luring new naive girls to europe to work in his place, and they are stuck there and are not allowed to leave.

I told my Girlfriend that even if her cusin was family and even if he is the only other Farang in the family, I was not going, and that I did not like him or her cusin, my Girlfriend went and came back very impressed with the new house he has bought her cusin and the 1 million bath in dowry, I tried to explain that that money was stolen from Thai girls working in europe and only beeing paid a small % of their real earnings, I have a hard time trying to make her understand how wrong this is.

Kind regards :D

larvidchr, that's a tough position you've got yourself in there. I'm not sure what I'd do as human traffiking, along side paedophilia and drug pushing, is one of the things I wouldn't like to be turning a blind eye to. Problem is it's family and if you do something about it you are dead meat. If you do nothing you have to live with your concience. Hmmmm.......

Thanks for pointing that out Phil :D No truely, when you know youre only a small fish in a sea of big sharks, the options are extremely limited, sometimes you just have to let things slide. :D

Kind regards :D

I'm quite perturbed when you say "you have to let things slide". Please try to summon up the moral courage to at least report this guy and his wife to his embassy and give them whatever proof or suspicions you have and why. You could contact Interpol as well. You could do this anonymously so your girlfriend doesn't find out but I would have to question what sort of family you have married into that would let something like human trafficking be swept under the carpet. It is people like the falang guy and his wife that cause problems for falang men in Thailand and when the opportunity is presented to actually do something positive about it you want to turn a blind eye. I'm sorry but shame on you if you do nothing. If you haven't got the balls to do something, PM me with the names and details of these two relatives and I will most certainly do something about it. Forgive me for sounding so harsh but you already know how wrong what they're doing is. You need a kick in the ass to do something about it!!! :o Think about how much difference you could make in the lives of all those slaves, some of whom are probably children, if you just send a letter or make a phonecall.

Cheers Geordie

It's a real shame how many people on here have serious problems due to jealousy, greed and face-saving all about money and who has the most. There are poor (and rich) families who centre themselves on this and it's incredibly "low-life" in itself. Being the token rich farang there to show off would make me get out quickly. Luckily there are still some provincial families who are just happy for their daughter/siblings to be happy instead of marry into money. They're the ones that deserve respect.

Cheers Geordie

Take care big lad - I have seen something similar

We were just talking about something like this last night down here in Singapore too with my friends that girlfriend.

Maybe if he was a Bavarian things would be different but he's from the former East Germany and is a Saxon by blood I believe and I'm an Anglo Saxon so it could be in our genes to get along.

neither the Saxons nor the Angles who invaded England had any ethnic relation with the population of (formerly east german state) Saxony but hailed from the northern part of the west german state "Lower Saxony".

please PM me and attach 10 Baht for this history lesson :o

I'm sure the family's learned it's lesson :o

At least not another angry English teacher, who once thought poverty was COOL.

Naka.