Covid tests in Thailand: Where to go and how much

webfact

53 minutes ago, nahkit said:

On Wednesday it was reported that the cost of the rapid result test was only 600 baht.

I understand private hospitals marking it up but why are state hospitals doing that?

Governour in Korat said today this is not true,its a misunderstanding.

There's two sides to the "free" argument.  First, it's not free. Someone is paying for it.  If you expect the government to pick up the bill then include it in a package of choice. You get a free Covid test; or, a 3000 baht stipend to do with as you please.  We all know how that will go.  The second argument is, what price is too much if you think you are sick enough to warrant getting tested? If you test positive then the "free" testing kicks in. End result, about 3 baht per person; because, of that one positive test which resulted in another 1000 having to be tested. 

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Should be free ! That is a lot of money for some citizens.

I don't think those locations are targeting the general population - more aimed at air travellers I suspect.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Excel said:

Agree with you. Wonder what would happen If I walked into Bangkok Hospital Udon,  chained myself to a pillar and then started coughing and complain of a sore throat and lost my sense of taste ?

"Evacuation" of the hospital. Means every doc and nurse would make a runner. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

having a test is one thing, it's the whole pile of hurt and expense if it comes back positive

I guess self insurers are probably squirming and will have issues.

My Aetna policy certainly provides full coverage.

Edited by bkk6060

Anyone know if T-cell tests are available in Bangkok?

I got an antibody blood test done at Viphavadhi which came back negative. The sensitivity is 87%, so 13% of false negative, IIUC. I had a positive PCR back in early Jan in another country, but must have been a mild dose or false positive as I had no symptoms at all.

The doctor at Viphavadhi didn't list the T cell as an option there, but I hope its available elsewhere.

If have the T cells then I don't need to get vaccinated, so it would be good to know, so I can decide whether to go ahead and get the vaccine when available.

Edited by longway

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Bloody disgrace that poor people have to pay, yet those plonkers attempting to run this place can waste billions on war weapons.

If you think this lot are bad look what’s going on in the UK with the PPE contracts.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Bloody disgrace that poor people have to pay, yet those plonkers attempting to run this place can waste billions on war weapons.

Not only that the incompetence at its best took then 14 mths to list where to get tested and a ball park figure, next step one day will let us know where to get vaccine and a cost ,I could just imagine how many Covid cases there is in Thailand if testing was done on a regular basis since day one

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Should be free ! That is a lot of money for some citizens.

But submarines are probably more important than the well being of your fellow people ? 

And let's not forget "Space Exploration etc"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I thought that people covered by the social security scheme were tested FOC?

If you go to the local community hospital in nangrong people are fed up of waiting, some for days on stretchers, and go in the private clinic next door. 600 baht.

Shame on the system.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

As I understand it, if you test positive, you're straight into quarantine at your own expense.  Do not pass go, do not go home and pack a bag, straight into quarantine.  Even if you have no symptoms.  Nope, not doing that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why would anybody get tested voluntarily and even pay money for it? I wouldn't risk getting locked in a hospital for two weeks.

In europe and the USA tests are free.. 

I wonder how many Thais can afford these charges. Or would want to pay, if there is no reason to get tested (in Austria you need a free  test before seeing a hairdresser)?

One reason why cases are not higher I am sure.

• Like 1

If people have to pay to be tested then the infection and death figures are not reliable because the poorer part of the population cannot afford it. My cousin is therefore quite right when he says that the so called excellent record of Thailand's Covid response is a lie.

• Like 1