Pre-Flight PCR-COVID TEST 72 Hours

How to calculate:

- 72 hours from the actual test (this means the report must show the time and date)

- 72 hours from report date

This can be very important.

Any knowledge or experience?

????

Ubonjoe, this is my experience at check-in at LAX regarding this issue.  The actual RT-PCR test result(technically it is difficult to state one is free of the Coronavirus.  Instead the test result will state "Not Detected") will state two different date/times:  The date and time when the sample was drawn and the date and time the test result was generated.  The particular airline I was checking in  at looked squarely at when the sample was drawn.  The difference in time between the two was 24 hours.  Other airlines could rely on the date and time of the lab report.  Of course the alternative is to pay much more and get RT-PCR test results in a matter of hours(in Los Angeles this kind of test was $500).  

So, mixed or unclear interpretation?

Hospital lab reporting time, weekends, time not stipulated on the report, etc could impact the validity.  Or if it's just the report issue date, the possibility of 72 hours +/- exists.  Any other experiences or input back the the Embassy/Consulate?  Maybe they have a grace period for this matter.  Or should you contact your originating flight carrier for their interpretation.  This is not good...  Interpretation leads to confusion.

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Ubonjoe, this is my experience at check-in at LAX regarding this issue. 

The problem traveling from the US comes up to the possibility of the transit country having different testing rules than Thailand.

14 minutes ago, D M G said:

So, mixed or unclear interpretation?

As I wrote above it depends upon where you traveling from. If you can get a non stop flight to here it would not arise. But if transiting the country you are doing it in can have different rules.

Checking with airline you are traveling would be a good idea.

You check your transit point by clicking it on this map from the IATA.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

• Like 1

Much more confusion about this than meets the eye.. Are you sure the validity has to be 72 hours from test to you actually enter thailand.. or is it 72 hours from report to you enter the first, second or third plane..

The answer is.... 72 hours from you recieve the report. Then from that time not more than 72 hours when you board the first flight that leaves your departure country. Not the interconnecting flights.

I have repatriated twice now.  Am in BKK as I write this having gotten out of quarantine.

Both times my itinerary was: ATL>LAX>DOH>BKK ON QATAR AIRWAYS.

Each time I had more then one RT-PCR (MUST State same) test result.

The check was done at LAX only the 1st time. Plus BKK

The 2nd time the check was done at LAX and DOH. Plus BKK

It was based on the TEST RESULT time/date not the TEST DATE.

RTE-DC has it buried in all their online information it is base on the TEST RESULT date/time for the 72 hour window.

5 minutes ago, jgm005 said:

RTE-DC has it buried in all their online information it is base on the TEST RESULT date/time for the 72 hour window.

This what it states on this page of the Embassy website. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

"For non-Thai nationals, a Fit to Fly certificate will be no longer required. However, a medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using the RT-PCR method, issued no more than 72 hours before departure, is still required. For Thai nationals, submission of either a Fit to Fly certificate or a COVID-19 test result will be required to travel to Thailand."

The 72 hour requirement posted by the Embassy/consulate are straightforward but the specific Airline(in some cases the actual employee reviewing your documents) could have a different interpretation.  Based upon this possibility I ensured both my RT-PCR lab report and the date/time of the sample collection were both within the 72 hour window.  In some cases this could be difficult.  Therefore, departing on a Monday or Tuesday would have been difficult.  Instead I booked a flight that departed on Friday night.  

Thanks to all!!

I feel more comfortable ????

I'm at 68 hours from actual test, but the date would confuse if no time is mentioned.

If the report date governs, I'm easily inside the window.

????

What about flying from Thailand to USA?  They now require a test before entering USA right?  Where is the best place to get a test in BKK?  And with all these testing places full or out if tests I imagine results take longer.   Hopefully it will be possible in 25 days for fiancee to get a test and results in a timely fashion. 

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

What about flying from Thailand to USA?  They now require a test before entering USA right?  Where is the best place to get a test in BKK?  And with all these testing places full or out if tests I imagine results take longer.   Hopefully it will be possible in 25 days for fiancee to get a test and results in a timely fashion. 

I'm planning on flying out on the 17th, BKK - DOH - SFO. 

Qatar Airlines is requiring a PCR test within 72 hours, but the US and SFO aren't. What they ARE doing now in California is requiring that I self-quarantine for 7 days upon arrival where I will be staying. If I didn't have a PCR test, it would need to be for 10 days. Other airports/cities may have different rules & requirements. For example, LAX has other requirements than SFO does.

Hope this helps!

15 hours ago, treetops said:

I think Qatar Airways removed that requirement a few months ago.

Wowww.... I think you're right. When I first booked the ticket, the reply said that QA required a negative PCR test from all passengers. Now when I check the entry requirements via their site it says I don't need one.

Wow... can that really be true? If so, it's a HUGE load off my mind. I will verify with the airline of course, but yeah, from what they're saying I don't need the PCR test.

Thanks for chiming in with this info! ????

NOTE However: California's travel info site says that all arriving US passengers must have a negative COVID PCR test result. I'm digging a bit deeper to see what's correct and not correct.

https://covid19.ca.gov/travel/

Edited by WhateverDude
Added more info

Did a bit more digging, and even though QA doesn't require the PCR test results nor SFO, the CDC states that ALL US citizens and residents entering the country need to have a test done within 3 days of departure date.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

So I guess I will still have to get the test, FWIW. I'm posting this info in case it helps clarify things for someone else.

My doctor's nurse said the test is PCR-COVID, good for international travel.  She did not say RT-PCR-COVID.  Another issue?  This is getting ridiculous.

Very good info gents.  Hope we are not hijacking this thread?

My fiance flies out may 7 assuming she is approved at her interview 26 th. But that is assuming the US embassy stays open.   Tense time for us after 15 months apart.  If we ever do make it together I think we will be inseparable after this 15 month ordeal.  I don't see a quarantine order in washington, seattle where I will meet her and we plan to relax 2 nights before on to my home state.