Thai domestic tourism takes massive hit in first half of 2021 - 130 billion baht down

webfact

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Thailand needs to learn the concept "bread and butter customers".  In-between the habitual scrimpers and the occasional big spenders, sits the average retiree/remote worker who brings in several tens of thousands of baht a month.  It comes from outside of Thailand and they spend it all inside Thailand.  They often support a Thai spouse, possibly her children, and probably one or two of their own.  It's almost free money and child rearing and the idea that it isn't as valued as it should be is insane.

They should be working on improving core aspects of Thailand to make it attractive to average earning foreigners who have their state pension and a small private pension and want somewhere to leave in peace and enjoy life.

Property, visas, attitudes, hospitality, etc., targeted to attract these average working men would be a much more realistic prospect.  Set the money minimum to something more realistic to how much it costs to live in Thailand, rather than some sort of imaginary figure.

I know what’s you’re saying and ‘liked’ it, but foreigners being able to own land ends up spiralling costs and shafting locals. Let a few relatively rich own sone overpriced land and it won’t hurt Thais too mutt. Make it a level playing field and the place will be bought up by China, Japan, Russia etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

it's better to have 10 people spending 40.000 baht a month then having 1 person spending 400.000 baht that way more people are making money and more families are fed .

I don’t think there is a food shortage in Thailand. Everyone gets fed. 

Us high enders employ way more people than the low end who generally employ none apart from maybe a bargirl.

Every villa along Natai Beach employs at least two full time staff, the most I know of is one villa which employs 23 full time staff and the owner only visits about two weeks per year. That particular villa is never rented as a “holiday rental”. 

So that one alone is “feeding 23 families” throughout the year, not just the drug habit of a bargirl for a couple of weeks.

• Confused 1

Most Thai people are not nearly as rich as their Elite government and the more Elite backers of the government.

The average Thai will not keep Thailand tourism alive, as they barely make enough money for more

than their regular expenses and costs. I have seen many of my Thai family members who rarely leave

Thailand for even the neighbor countries, as they simply have no spare money to travel. Domestic travel  is a lot

less than the TAT experts calculate for supporting Thailand's economy. Expect more fantasy forecast getting

rudely tossed out.   Reality sucks.

Geezer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I don’t think there is a food shortage in Thailand. Everyone gets fed. 

Us high enders employ way more people than the low end who generally employ none apart from maybe a bargirl.

Every villa along Natai Beach employs at least two full time staff, the most I know of is one villa which employs 23 full time staff and the owner only visits about two weeks per year. That particular villa is never rented as a “holiday rental”. 

So that one alone is “feeding 23 families” throughout the year, not just the drug habit of a bargirl for a couple of 

Seems like you didn't really get what i was saying . Ofcourse everyone and everything that is helping people is welcome , but you can't denie that the more money is defided the more people will be helped . Some people have long toes and just can't see further then the tip of their nose . 

Just now, Nanaplaza666 said:

Seems like you didn't really get what i was saying . Ofcourse everyone and everything that is helping people is welcome , but you can't denie that the more money is defided the more people will be helped . Some people have long toes and just can't see further then the tip of their nose . Us high enders , c'mon . Calling yourself that tells me enough about you . Be happy stay safe high ender . 

21 hours ago, internationalism said:

soon bangkokians will be escaping the city to neighbouring provinces to hide from the virus

We just packed up and moved. Noticeably less traffic and pollution here. ????

Cell service is good enough for video chats for my online tutoring. ????‍????

IMG_20210414_105802.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

foreigners being able to own land ends up spiralling costs and shafting locals.

I think it depends on how it's managed.  If there are careful restrictions and specific "retiree villages", or other restrictions about how much/many areas of land foreign people can own, it could protect the locals while bringing in a lot of money.  But, yeah, it could easily go either way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

We just packed up and moved. Noticeably less traffic and pollution here. ????

Cell service is good enough for video chats for my online tutoring. ????‍????

IMG_20210414_105802.jpg

and I see you have your own pool to swim in as well, very nice..lol

• Haha 1

Well, where on earth should these Thais get money from to spend? Thailand has not even realized yet, in what kind of situation the country in general and tourism in particular is. 

Do not be surprised, that upon opening the country on day X, the next day ....... no sudden increase of tourists can be expected. Tourism is pre-dominantly a business for non-residents. Thais have different needs, spend less, crowd more and eat/drink different; all factors in tourism spending.