Procedure for divorce

mixed

It's looking like a divorce is on the cards for me. We've been separated now for a few months. We have four properties, a main one with usufruct in my name, two pieces of land and a house currently being paid off.

Does anyone know the procedure for divorce? I'm told even though owning land is not legal for farang, a judge will normally take it into account as a joint asset and this should be considered when coming to an agreement.

Preferably I'd like to buy her out of some property and think she would be open to this as selling would be very slow. Can anybody offer advice on how to proceed? I would like to keep it out of court, but would still need a lawyer for advice. Can anyone recommend one in Bkk or Chonburi?

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

You cant own property so buying her out is not really an option. 

I hope you find a good lawyer to solve your problem. 

I'd be looking at putting it in a company owned by our kids, I should have pointed that out.

mixed -

You really have to talk to a real live Thai Attorney for legal advice. Shop attorneys, talk to 3 or 4 for free consult explaining your factual details, position, and desires. Compare their answers to your questions and select your attorney.

You need representation by a Thai Attorney to protect you in Thailands courts.

I do need a lawyer, but not necessarily for court. Can anybody recommend a lawyer? I spoke to a farang with a law office, but the next time I visited he gave me different info, this was a free consultation.

Another Thai lawyer I spoke to charged a reasonable rate, but when I went back there a month later she didn't remember me and the info was different. She doesn't seem to keep files, throwing away notes after consultation.

Can anybody recommend a lawyer? I don't think the good ones will consult for free.

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 9:04 PM, mixed said:

I'm told even though owning land is not legal for farang, a judge will normally take it into account as a joint asset and this should be considered when coming to an agreement.

Told by whom? I fail to see why a Thai judge would take something that may be illegal into account. Some years ago to my recollection the government was looking to prosecute foreigners that gave money to wives to buy property, as it was circumventing the law ( at that time- it may have changed ) that said foreigners could not own land.

If your wife is amenable to selling the property to put it in your children's name, why not let her sort it out?

As always in a divorce the more that can be done to keep it out of court the better. Lawyers should always be a last resort.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:20 PM, mixed said:

I do need a lawyer, but not necessarily for court. Can anybody recommend a lawyer? I spoke to a farang with a law office, but the next time I visited he gave me different info, this was a free consultation.

Another Thai lawyer I spoke to charged a reasonable rate, but when I went back there a month later she didn't remember me and the info was different. She doesn't seem to keep files, throwing away notes after consultation.

Can anybody recommend a lawyer? I don't think the good ones will consult for free.

I know a good lawyer for consultation , you can PM me

Edited by Joe Medina