AVR troubleshooting

farmerjo

Hi,

I have a CBC TTY-20KVA-1 avr.

Yesterday we had a storm and a lightning strike near by which cut the rcd's in the houses.

After turning back on i noticed any significant load would cut the power.

Went out to the avr and noticed the servo motor not moving and fans not cutting in.

Pushed circuit breaker button on back of appliance making no difference.

Songkran not a good time as waiting reply from company technician.

In the mean time was wondering if safe to change the setting on back from normal to pump/bypass which i presume just puts you back on mains supply without disconnecting the avr and continue using.

Edited by farmerjo

18 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

In the mean time was wondering if safe to change the setting on back from normal to pump/bypass which i presume just puts you back on mains supply without disconnecting the avr and continue using.

I reckon running in "bypass" will be just fine. Or a quick re-wire to take the beast out of circuit (I added a change-over switch for just such an event).

Any internal fuses popped?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Crossy said:

I reckon running in "bypass" will be just fine. Or a quick re-wire to take the beast out of circuit.

Any internal fuses popped?

Thanks Crossy

Will just put in bypass for now and wait for technician to have a look inside.

Will do everyone good to realise just how much more the avr makes life comfortable for a few days.

• Like 1

Just off the phone to technician and he thinks because the display still works,the voltage suppressor is fried from over voltage.

They don't have field service here but will send part and says it's small and local sparky can fit.

And as Crossy confirmed ok to run in bypass for the time being. 

• Like 1

It's funny just reading this post and I just rewired two of my AVRs out of service until I figure out what's going on. A changeover switch would be good. My incoming on 2 phases is 230V and 228V but the 2 regulators won't regulate to 220V. The third one is fine.

LION regulators so easy to bypass but 3 switches would be better. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carlyai said:

It's funny just reading this post and I just rewired two of my AVRs out of service until I figure out what's going on. A changeover switch would be good. My incoming on 2 phases is 230V and 228V but the 2 regulators won't regulate to 220V. The third one is fine.

LION regulators so easy to bypass but 3 switches would be better. 

Can you update when you find the problem????

The technician now wants us to send avr back to bangkok cause he thinks under warranty but it's been in service 19 months.

Edited by farmerjo

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

Can you update when you find the problem????

The technician now wants us to send avr back to bangkok cause he thinks under warranty but it's been in service 19 months.

Will do but mine are a different brand I think. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Quick question,can i use mild steel bolts to join main cables after disconnecting avr or should i be looking for brass bolts?

Should really be brass/copper, but for a temporary job whilst the AVR is away steel will be just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...