Moving to Phangan

Hi - we're moving 20ft container worth of our home to the island, will be using a company (still haven't chosen one, so any recommendations welcome, from US West Coast)

Biggest concern now - it seems Thong Sala Pier isn't exactly equipped to handle 20' containers? And doesn't seem like there are big trucks on the island?

Or can it? It'll likely be coming via port closest to Malaysia (not the BKK) - and just wondering how a company plans to get our stuff to the island? 

We're just not sure how to best pack it all - on pallets? What about larger "loose" items? Will the shipment usually go to Samui and then unloaded each pallet onto a ferry, or can the entire container go directly from mainland to Phangan? 

Would love some insight from people already on the island and best way to prepare for the shipment, and to know the transport costs onto the island and to the residence to not be ripped off or figure out the best place of residence.

3 hours ago, hawkette said:

Biggest concern now - it seems Thong Sala Pier isn't exactly equipped to handle 20' containers? And doesn't seem like there are big trucks on the island?

Or can it? It'll likely be coming via port closest to Malaysia (not the BKK) - and just wondering how a company plans to get our stuff to the island? 

We're just not sure how to best pack it all - on pallets? What about larger "loose" items? Will the shipment usually go to Samui and then unloaded each pallet onto a ferry, or can the entire container go directly from mainland to Phangan? 

Normally containers will be shipped to Bangkok and custom cleared there.

I had a 20 feet container with household items shipped from Europe (Denmark) to Samui.

Everything should be carefully packed in cartoons, or whatever needed to protect the items – I had both musical instruments, i.e. big Hammond organ, Leslie-speaker, and acoustic spinet, and some large paintings in my shipping – and all boxes should be numbered and clearly marked on the outside, what they contains. If any electronics, both brand name, type, and serial number must be written.

I had the items packed and strapped on Euro-pallets. When the container was loaded empty space was filled with heavy-duty air-balloons, so the stuff wouldn't move during transportation.

You need a detailed packing list with box number and all items specified, including model and serial numbers for electronics. Only used items are allowed, and only one of each (cutlery sets of 12 or like for kitchenware is of course allowed). Each item, or group of items, must have a value specified, and the packing list a total value.

Send the container c.i.f. to Bangkok and let a local agent perform custom clearance and domestic transport. My shipper advised to do a "total loss" insurance only, as other insurances would be very high prices and almost impossible to claim in case of damage (I know from my former business experience that it's true, i.e. extremely difficult).

For custom clearance in Bangkok your passport is needed. The agent might suggest you to pay a small overtime fee (could be for example around 5,000 baht), which is worth accepting for smooth custom clearance. Always expect to pay little duty and v.a.t.

I paid an overtime fee, and one cardboard box by the doors were opened in a corner for custom inspection; but I had a very detailed packing list. All custom cleared within a few hours. Be prepared to be in Bangkok on the day of custom clearance, as your passport is needed, and you also need to pay, overtime is cash.

My 20-feet container were driven on a truck from Bangkok to Don Sak, and by ferry to Nathon, Samui (or Thong Sala, Phangan, if over there; the ferries can normally handle a truck with a container), and driven directly to my address. The local agent had arranged for staff (six people) to move the content from the container into my storage room, or a home, if that is ready. The truck took the empty container back to Bangkok. I used a local shipping agent from Samui, and the price was very fair (I try to recall, it was either 20k baht or 30k bath; could be little more now), but of course excluding customs duty, vat and overtime.

If your location is up hill or an area where a large high-load truck cannot enter, you might need to reload to smaller vehicles by the pier or another well chosen location.

????

• Like 1