Hospitalization Is still compulsory for all COVID-19 patients

webfact

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Highly interesting point, but the source you presented does not back up your point. 

The article discusses ‘Rhinoviruses’ not Coronaviruses ‘booting out Covid’.

Approximately 40% of household colds are caused by Rhinoviruses, RSV and parainfluenza cause about 20% of household colds, 20% of colds are caused by Coronaviruses of which there are 4 attributed to the common cold. An estimated 20% of household colds are from unidentified viruses and irritants. 

Thus, there is no proof that one variant of SARS-CoV-2 prevents another variant from taking hold, quite the contrary could exist where a variant of SARS-CoV-2 could ‘hold the door open’ for more serious variants to take hold - or more accurately for the body which may already be fighting a mild variant to kick off with an overblown cytokine-storm and overwhelm the respiratory system.

Well, that is a valid counter point, but it nonetheless addresses my skepticism regarding the " dueling viruses", which seemed counter-intuitive to me. Of course it is possible to become infected by more than one strain of opportunistic bacteria at the same time, which usually simply exhausts the immune system with resultant systemic morbidity, as does the hyperactive cytokine storm reaction. I would guess this is a frequent clinical observation with viral infections as well.

To your point, if the correct 'good' virus is not chosen carefully results could be catastrophic. Or, to my thinking as well, two covid variants could 'tag team' the host. Lots of work to be done.

Still, we are gaining information rapidly now, and if Covid is just a dress rehearsal for the next killer pandemic we need all the help we can get. Covid will definitely not be the last 'bio-terrorist' we face.

I flirted with microbiology in university but stuck with engineering. If I was motivated enough for a second career it might be that.

• Like 1

As one poster said, the majority of Thais who are not rich, have houses with 1 or 2 bathrooms shared by

6 or more people. There is one kitchen in the lower floor, and everyone sleeps in the 2nd or 3rd floor, so keeping apart

are highly unlikely. Plus the washing room is either on the top floor or bottom floor, and then drying is on the top floor.

Again, hard to keep apart. Up country, my relatives have a one floor house with only 1 bathroom and 6 people in the

house. So I have to ask the expat, experts, how do you people not know this already, have you no Thai friends?  Have you

not looked around Thailand and seen for yourselves, the situation? Really. Rooster could you please do an Educational, informative

comment about the Thai situation?  Please and Thanks.

Geezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

As one poster said, the majority of Thais who are not rich, have houses with 1 or 2 bathrooms shared by

6 or more people. There is one kitchen in the lower floor, and everyone sleeps in the 2nd or 3rd floor, so keeping apart

are highly unlikely. Plus the washing room is either on the top floor or bottom floor, and then drying is on the top floor.

Again, hard to keep apart. Up country, my relatives have a one floor house with only 1 bathroom and 6 people in the

house. So I have to ask the expat, experts, how do you people not know this already, have you no Thai friends?  Have you

not looked around Thailand and seen for yourselves, the situation? Really. Rooster could you please do an Educational, informative

comment about the Thai situation?  Please and Thanks.

Geezer

Thats a valid point.... 

But is not not also a valid point that it is quite likely that when living in those conditions IF one in the household tests positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus everyone in the household is likely to have been exposed, thus the whole household should isolate. 

Of course, the field facilities are useful for those who cannot isolate away from an extended community. 

But, there are many many people who live in their own Condo’s, or their own 3 bedroom houses etc etc - thus home isolation for many is perfectly feasible option. 

Just because poor folk living 6 in a teak hut cannot effectively isolate does not mean those with a larger house with more rooms cannot isolate effectively. 

Unfortunately this leads to two tiers, but thats just life. There are those for whom the field isolation conditions are perfectly acceptable and those who find them unacceptable.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Wow, Richard, you must be a true blue expat in Bangkok.  There may be some younger Thais living in those condos that you talk

about, and maybe even some older richer Thais,  but I have seen a lot of Thai houses in the city as well as in most other cities in Thailand

and they definitely not the condo type.   Just saying.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error