Phuket to make foreigners pay for COVID test, Thais get it for free

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

There is more discrimination against Thais in the UK. 

My daughter has to pay £13,000 a year as a foreign student, despite being a UK citizen!! 

The UK discriminates against its OWN citizens here in Thailand! For a start off, all Government Pensions are frozen from the time that you begin to live here, and even though all your income and pensions etc gets paid into a UK bank account, you can not get a Credit Card or Bank Loan because you are not a UK resident!

11 minutes ago, sambum said:

The UK discriminates against its OWN citizens here in Thailand! For a start off, all Government Pensions are frozen from the time that you begin to live here, and even though all your income and pensions etc gets paid into a UK bank account, you can not get a Credit Card or Bank Loan because you are not a UK resident!

Right but they shouldn't discriminate against UK citizens in the UK, just because they were not resident before going to UNi.

• Like 1

I took a Covid-19 test last week in Bangkok for $68 dollars, no big deal. In the US, I would have to pay for it the same and I am a citizen there.  

The reality is that it would take most of my Thai friend’s weeks to save this amount of money to get the test.  Best is to stop whining and at least do your part in trying to be part of the solution.  

Being grateful won't hurt either, Thailand is by far the best place to be during the last year and a half, far better than being stuck in Europe or the US.

Edited by Billy A
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Right but they shouldn't discriminate against UK citizens in the UK, just because they were not resident before going to UNi.

Its the same for so many, my daughter was born in the UK, we came here when she was a baby, now she's been in international school for the last few years, due to go back to the UK to UNI in 5 years time. She will pay International Student fee's. Her older sister works as a nurse in a UK university hospital, she finished UNI 5 years ago after paying International fees. Thats the way it is, much as me not being able to renew my UK driving license unless I live there.

The point is this is comparing apples and oranges to the situation here, the actual topic of discussion.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Billy A said:

I took a Covid-19 test last week in Bangkok for $68 dollars, no big deal. In the US, I would have to pay for it the same and I am a citizen there.  

The Families First Coronavirus Response Act ensures that COVID-19 testing is free to anyone in the U.S., including the uninsured. Additional testing sites may be available in your area. Contact your health care provider or your state or local public health department for more information.

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

why else would they offer us free vaccinations, but then want to charge us for a test that they want us to take, doesn't make sense.

Vaccinations are a medical NEED, tests are a WANT (optional).

You also have to pay for EKG scans, etc. because they're OPTIONAL, depending on your medical condition.

Vaccinations are a medical necessity because it's the safest, fastest way to "herd immunity" and getting things back to normal.

Right. ????

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Being an Ozzie, I can understand where your coming from, however, I think you missed the point, there are not a lot of long term visa holders in Australia, it's either you have PR, Citizenship or you don't, and I don't believe that the majority of us here on TVF appreciate the charge as we are long term residents, you see, the way I see it, and probably the way most farangs here see it is, we contribute to the Thai economy, e.g. I spend about a million baht per annum living here, add to that having built a house, purchased a car, furniture, etc, etc, that said, I would spend more here than a lot of Thai's would, so why should I have to pay the Thai government 500 baht for them wanting to check me for Covid as a potential tourist in Phuket, what next, will they want to charge me for spraying sanitizer on my hands when I walk into a shopping centre or for taking my temperature ?

This is a really bad business model, Phuket is suffering, now ask yourself this, do they need us to contribute to your economy or not, I think the answer is staring at you, e.g. hotels have discounted their rates to try and attract both Thai's and Farangs, and then some idiot who thinks he has a brainstorm idea, just killed it for those businesses suffering in Phuket.

My mindset works like this, treat me fairly and I will treat you fairly, rip me off or try to rip me off and you won't see the likes of me again.

I just cancelled a holiday with a full refund, that amount came to around 30,000 baht for the accommodation, the cancellation was obviously because of the Covid situation getting out of hand and the facilities at the hotel not being able to be used, so what is the point of going.

If I was to be charged a 500 baht fee to get tested beforehand, I would have cancelled my holiday based on that fee alone, now you work out who would lose, 30,000 baht plus back in my pocket and I am sure a lot of others would think like me, so x's that by xyz.

You say, 500 baht, who cares, well I do, even though I am a long term guest here, you don't come up with a stupid idea like this, I pay for full private cover and that costs me in excess of 100,000 baht for the privilege to have myself insured, but you want to me to be tested, then that's on you chump, not me, as far as I am concerned Phuket is toast and has been to me since 2019, there are other better places, you just have to find them, besides, they wouldn't as so stupid to come up with such a brainless idea, watch the backlash, and the change coming from the top in a few days, no charge for farangs, just a misunderstanding.

Too late for me, damage done. 

The Thai government must pay for the test kit and staff.

Some people want everything for free paid for by the "government". 

500 is quite a reasonable fee for me to pay, i don't want to bludge off the Thais. Their taxes should be used on Thais, not farangs holidaying in Phuket.

If you are so well off as you claim, I am not sure why $20 for a test would worry you? It could save your life. Not worth cancelling a holiday over.

Phuket is quite a nice place, but it annoys the Cheap Charlies as it costs more. You were never going anyway so will never pay it.

plenty of really nice places for 30,000 per night in Phuket.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Many are waiting to return thais and Farang  are struck in many countries.they are getting the jabs free and test  and can not return until borders and allowed to travel and enter without quarantine.I don,t think the cost  are the reason but dual pricing exist and will continue.

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

If you can't afford 500B, you should probably go home and use your free healthcare system in your origin country. ????

I think that's where the attitude has developed. They expect the government to pay for their lives.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Why i am not really surprised

the rest of your post being total nonsense

i prefer to give up with you, we really start from too far

have a nice day\good night

then let me be direct..

My principle is that I will pay for and take responsibility for myself

Your principle is that you should be entitled to a Thai govt entitlement program for Thai people..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1