Wife returning to Thailand. Covid test required or not?

Chelseafan

I am still a little confused as to wether Mrs Chelseafan needs to have a covid test 72 hours before departure.

She is flying from London to Bangkok on Qatar in May. We have established that this airline doesn't require a Covid test and my understanding is that she doesn't need a Covid certificate when returning to Thailand.

She is adamant that when she applied for her COE that it stated (in Thai) that she needed a Covid test pre-departure.

Can anyone confirm ?

Thanks

Edited by Chelseafan

From the airlines website,

Passengers entering or transiting through Abu Dhabi (AUH) from the United Kingdom must have a printed negative COVID-19 PCR test taken at most 72 hours before departure of the last direct flight to United Arab Emirates. The test result must be in Arabic or English and must be issued by an approved laboratory listed on https://screening.purehealth.ae or a laboratory accredited by the United Kingdom.

how ever, it also seems to say otherwise

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/visa-and-passport-requirements.html?iid=ALL88789980

I would contact the airline by email or web chat, the unknown is always what rules will change tomorrow

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, howerde said:

From the airlines website,

Passengers entering or transiting through Abu Dhabi (AUH) from the United Kingdom must have a printed negative COVID-19 PCR test taken at most 72 hours before departure of the last direct flight to United Arab Emirates. The test result must be in Arabic or English and must be issued by an approved laboratory listed on https://screening.purehealth.ae or a laboratory accredited by the United Kingdom.

how ever, it also seems to say otherwise

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/visa-and-passport-requirements.html?iid=ALL88789980

I would contact the airline by email or web chat, the unknown is always what rules will change tomorrow

Thanks.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Qatar airlines don't require a Covid test. It's Thai immigration I am more worried about.

9 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Thanks.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Qatar airlines don't require a Covid test. It's Thai immigration I am more worried about.

If she's Thai, she can't be refused entry to Thailand.  She'll be tested in State Quarantine.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Can she be refused if she is not using her Thai passport

No, as long as she has proof she is Thai (i.e. has her Thai passport or ID with her.

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Why would she do that?

It's normal for dual citizens to do so e.g. say the woman in question has Thai and Brit citizenship she'd normally leave and enter the UK on her Brit passport and leave and enter Thailand on her Thai passport.

Edited by Salerno

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

No, as long as she has proof she is Thai (i.e. has her Thai passport or ID with her.

It's normal for dual citizens to do so e.g. say the woman in question has Thai and Brit citizenship she'd normally leave and enter the UK on her Brit passport and leave and enter Thailand on her Thai passport.

Correct..........................my question was WHY would she not use a Thai passport.

31 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Why would she do that?

(have I missed something?)

Sometimes people that have more than one passport will not bother to renew their passport if there overseas and will renew their expired passport once their back in their home country

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Sometimes people that have more than one passport will not bother to renew their passport if there overseas and will renew their expired passport once their back in their home country

A Thai can still enter Thailand on an expired passport (as a Brit can in the UK)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

A Thai can still enter Thailand on an expired passport (as a Brit can in the UK)

Most Airlines will not permit you to fly on an expired passport Might be able to fly with Thai airways but always best to ask the question directly to the airline 1st

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The OP said he'd checked with her airline.

I wasn't speaking specifically about the OPs wife & I think I responded to a more general post.

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Most Airlines will not permit you to fly on an expired passport Might be able to fly with Thai airways but always best to ask the question directly to the airline 1st

I believe that we were talking about a Thai with dual citizenship....they would obviously exit the UK on a British passport.

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

It's not quite as simple as that.  Three months ago, my wife applied for COE to return to Thailand......one her US passport, with me as her spouse, also on a US passport.  She was told she had to return as a Thai.....meaning on a Thai passport.  Her Thai passport expired several years ago.  She had to apply for a Certificate of Identity, in lieu of a passport.  Lots of paperwork.

16 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Last year daughter with expired Thai passport traveled on United no problems. They were aware Thais could travel home on expired Thai passport... 

• Like 1

I haven't looked for a while but I'm pretty sure that the need for a Fit to Fly has been cancelled and Thai's now need a negative PCR test result at check in like the rest of us.. The requirements are on the Thai Embassy's website - unfortunately the ones for Thai citizens are only in Thai.

I can't speak for Qatar but if I'm correct about the above - its an entry requirement.

Edited by KhaoYai

My wife travelled last December with Qatar, though from Denmark.

At that moment there was no requirement for thai national to have a preflight negative Covid test, but, I remember, some other airlines imposed this measure to their customers, foreigners and thais as well(Emirates and Etihad)

We decided to choose Qatar, specifically because they did not ask for preflight testing and she was more familiar with Hamad Airport.

Not sure, whether this changed, I don't think so...

And, by the way, since she's flying with Qatar Airways, it would be ASQ, not State quarantine.I assumed you already have a booking in place?

I would suggest you contact both Embassy and Qatar Airways in order to confirm she don't need it...She is flying from UK and now they have 3rd wave, which is being driven by the british variant, with the help of partygoers, of course.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-th/travel-alerts/travel-to-thailand.html

Edited by drenddy