Want to make a purchase paying over 10 months

To save Thai bank aggro I do my truck insurance over 10 months payment using my UK credit card for a small cost.

The insurance company charges about 150 baht more. 

My credit card charges •197% on each monthly payment.

• Like 1

Afaik these "10 months no interest" offers do always come from the banks for their card products.

In my experience, online it only works with credit cards, do you have any real Thai credit card?

Offline it might also work with "cash cards" (I don't know if it's possible to get one of those as a foreigner), but it depends on the promotion.

I was tempted to use this method to purchase something with my credit card once. When I found that the outstanding balance of the 0% interest 10-month loan would count against my card's line of credit, I decided it was not worth it and just paid cash. I'm fairly sure it requires an actual credit card with a line of credit greater than the cost of the purchase.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I was tempted to use this method to purchase something with my credit card once. When I found that the outstanding balance of the 0% interest 10-month loan would count against my card's line of credit, I decided it was not worth it and just paid cash. I'm fairly sure it requires an actual credit card with a line of credit greater than the cost of the purchase.

Obviously.

I've done it a few times with my citibank credit card, with powerbuy, put the TV, sound bar and most recently gf's new phone on 10 months 0% interest. I can afford to pay out right, but just feels better having it deducted every month.

On the payment page usually they will tell you what options you have for this. 

Edited by MarleyMarl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have to have a Thai Credit Card with remaining credit line used as surety for the purchase.

ie: if you have credit line of 400K and you purchase 100K over 10 months, Your available credit is reduced to 300K and gets restored to 310, 320, 330 etc.. when you make each payment.. (assuming no other transactions)

Not all credit cards may be eligible and some may have different terms, ie: 6 months, 10 months etc. at 0%.

Car insurance was mentioned but this is different because they can simply cancel coverage if a payment is not processed.

• Like 1