Attempting to go Vegetarian in Thailand. Any suggestions?

WineOh

14 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Do visit a pig killing station in Thailand if you don't believe me. The screaming is horrible.

You actually did visit one?

What was the reason for your visit? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WineOh said:

You actually did visit one?

What was the reason for your visit? 

To understand what we have been eating.

Almost every morning, there are bus loads of caged pigs sent to the slaughter house in plain view for passing cars in Thailand.

It's not difficult to follow the huge truck of pigs.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tonray said:

I go 'Veg' for months at a time but still add fish back into diet when not on the veg kick. Easy as pie...fresh veg and fruit available everywhere at great prices. I found also that getting a good blender and adding Smoothies to the mix helps a lot...most breakfasts and at least 2 lunch/dinner meals per week  I make a nice fruit veg protien smoothie...satisfying and easy to maintain healthy weight that way too.

Care to share your recipe.

I have meat (Chicken or fish) at Sizzler once a week as my treat for being a good boy.  Rest of the week it is toast with PB oatmeal then salad and rice for supper.  Snack is cashews one bag lasts a week,.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Care to share your recipe.

I have meat (Chicken or fish) at Sizzler once a week as my treat for being a good boy.  Rest of the week it is toast with PB oatmeal then salad and rice for supper.  Snack is cashews one bag lasts a week,.

Sure, I use half of a large carrot, half an apple, 1/3 banana, then either some Chinese celery or Chinese Broccoli (Gai LAN) and then you have your choice of proteins. Can add 3 tablespoons pumpkn seeds (shelled) or 150 grams plain yogurt, each provide about 12 grams protein. Then just some milk (I use plain unsweetened Soy milk) to make the blender's job a little easier. To simplify things, I precut and freeze in zio lock bags portions of the above. That way you don't need ice for a cold smoothie. Each bag will make two large glasses. Yih can of course modify to your tastes, the key is enough veg for nutrients, enough fruit for Sweetness and protein for a complete meal.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

To understand what we have been eating.

Almost every morning, there are bus loads of caged pigs sent to the slaughter house in plain view for passing cars in Thailand.

It's not difficult to follow the huge truck of pigs.

I hope that's not a metaphor for office workers on the BTS..ha ha ha

• Haha 1

Been vegetarian for 49 years. Here Mays veggie kitchen Suk soi 16 just down from Asoke BTS is good (vegan) and there is another good one at Chula hospital called Tonklar Facai, they have websites. Villa market has a few items as does Foodland mostly meat substitutes. I order from Youta foods on Rama 2 they have a range of food, tinned and frozen. There massam curry is nice as is the chicken on lemon grass sticks

32 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Not forgetting 7/11 they frozen kho pat at 30 baht and a very tasty Chinese soup in a round box, 35 baht, they have yellow vegetarian labels on, quite edible.

Yes the frozen "pak grapao jay" has sated me many a late night over the years. The Chinese Veg Stew along with a side of brown rice does the trick too. 

5 minutes ago, pe747 said:

Best plant base to make burgers from???

Black beans and portobello mushroom.

Go to Pinterest.com and search vor vegan burgers. There are thousands of recipes.

Healthier if you do them yourself than buy vegan burgers in store.

Yup...not difficult to make your own if you have a blender or food processor. I use black beans, some crimini mushrooms, all cooked beforehand, add some spices, some cilantro, some onion, and bind it together with a little potato or corn starch or cooked barley and make some patties that you can fry or bake afterwards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Given the previous reference to feta, I thought I'd just point out that feta is not vegetarian:  it's made with animal rennet, typically extracted from the stomachs of butchered young nursing calves.

Cheese and milk is vegetarian. I think you mean it's not Vegan.

The thread title is Vegetarian. Is this wrong? Are you trying to go Vegan?