Attempting to go Vegetarian in Thailand. Any suggestions?

WineOh

12 minutes ago, covidiot said:

fruit has no protein. you go 2 months without protein? seems odd to me that it doesn't cause any issues. 

Not true. Most fruit is low protein, NOT 'no protein'. And some are highish protein...like Guava, Jackfruit, avocados. 

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like about vegetarians is their lack of reciprocity.

I invite them to come to my house for a meal and I have got on YouTube and cooked some nice vegetarian dishes for them.

I go to their house for a meal and do I get a nice, juicy steak? Nope.

If God didn't intend us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The only thing I don't like about vegetarians is their lack of reciprocity.

They come to my house for a meal and I have got on YouTube and cooked some nice vegetarian dishes for them.

I go to their house for a meal and do I get a nice, juicy steak? Nope.

If God didn't intend us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

So they just pop in, uninvited, and force you to prepare a nice veg meal and you do??? 

What's your address?!? ????

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

But, but.....I've just been told that vegetarians don't eat cheese because of stuff they use from chopped up calve's stomach........

Yeah, what you gonna do?  Some is rennet, some maybe not.  Some of the <deleted> we get here in the USA may not be natural at all.  Any processed food we get has an allowable amount of "other stuff", like bug parts, rodent hairs and whatnot. 

I do like fresh cheese like the Indian and Mexican cheese that is milk clotted with vinegar or citrus juice or whatever.  I'll eat eggs, but not fertilized ones or those 18 day old ones where the baby chickens have feathers. 

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Hardest thing for me was not being able to tell cooks that I was vegetarian. However, this was in Nontaburi in the 90s, and things have improved since then with Supermarkets stocking stuff. Many foodcourts in Bkk have tofu duck etc

Back in 1977 when I came to Thailand as a (vegetarian) U.S. Peace Corp volunteer I had to learn Thai quickly.  OMG, no pork oil, no fish sauce, no this, no that. Some poor souls in Isaan actually asked me if I could eat this vegetable or that.  They didn't understand.  Working with farmers, sometimes lunch was a ball of sticky rice, a pinch of salt and some fresh hot peppers.  Occasionally some weird berries or young fern fronds.  But they liked me because I wouldn't eat one of their chickens, 555.

I did train a guy at a restaurant in Loei town to make a vegetable stir fry.  One day he surprised me by putting in some new fresh greens.  Ganja. 

45 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

If you eat meat you are not an animal lover, but people still like to pretend that they are, while stuffing dead animals down their throats on a regular basis. 

What if I love all animals except chicken (noise), pigs (<deleted> that they eat), cows (untrustworthy beasts that are bigger than me) and sheep (I once got savaged by a sheep)?

I love plants, yet, you obviously hate them. Torturing them first before putting them out of their misery.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I'm with you on the age thing. But I already smoked about a hundred thousand cancer sticks and quit 35 years ago. But I am going to take up psychedelics in my old age. Just as a hobby.

Ha...probably smoked about a couple of hundred in my whole life......fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

If you eat meat you are not an animal lover, but people still like to pretend that they are, while stuffing dead animals down their throats on a regular basis. 

Same for people who say they are vegetarians or vegans and love animals...who have a few pet dogs and cats which they are happen enough to go out and buy pet food with lots of MEAT in it ..????

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 11:15 PM, Neeranam said:

Hardest thing for me was not being able to tell cooks that I was vegetarian. However, this was in Nontaburi in the 90s, and things have improved since then with Supermarkets stocking stuff. Many foodcourts in Bkk have tofu duck etc

Are still a vegetarian?

What made you take up vegetarianism?

On 4/30/2021 at 6:45 PM, jak2002003 said:

Same for people who say they are vegetarians or vegans and love animals...who have a few pet dogs and cats which they are happen enough to go out and buy pet food with lots of MEAT in it ..????

I found long ago it's actually best not to say you are a vegetarian, I normally say I just don't eat meat and fish. Otherwise you get the meat eating fundamentalists having a go trying to prove hypocrisy as you eat Mcvitties biscuits or something else with a bit of trace animal in it. I don't care what others eat and find the Vegans and defensive meat eaters often just as bad as each other with their finger waving.

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

I found long ago it's actually best not to say you are a vegetarian, I normally say I just don't eat meat and fish. Otherwise you get the meat eating fundamentalists having a go trying to prove hypocrisy as you eat Mcvitties biscuits or something else with a bit of trace animal in it. I don't care what others eat and find the Vegans and defensive meat eaters often just as bad as each other with their finger waving.

Sane here. It's no issue in my life that I don't eat meat. I chose not to eat meat as I hated the factory farming and the way the animals are transported and killed at the slaughter houses. 

I have no problem with eating meat if the animal is cared for properly and killed quickly. But the way that most farms operate is basically cruel and torturous for the animals these days. 

I don't tell people I am vegetarian in public...and I don't care what they eat.  I only get irritated if there is some vegetarian or vegan that is boasting about it and then usually I find out they are wearing leather shoes, have meat eating pets etc. 

My philosophy about meat is, I eat what I am willing to slaughter myself. A fish or a chicken, no problem. A lamb, cow or pig? No way. 

Give it a try. I have not eaten beef, pork, or lamb for 50 years. Never missed it for a nanosecond. 

As many suggested Happy Cow site and app is a great resource. 

If you live in Chiang Mai or Bangkok, I can show you my favorite restaurants list. 

Chiang Mai is a real heaven for vegetarians. 

In Google Maps you can also search for vegetarian restaurants. 

Facebook has many local groups for vegetarians too, f. e. "Veg Chiang Mai". 

On 4/30/2021 at 8:54 AM, KarenBravo said:

love plants, yet, you obviously hate them. Torturing them first before putting them out of their misery

"oh no! don't slay that potato that never done nothin' to you"

Tom Paxton

On 4/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, EricTh said:

There is no lack of vegan shops in Thailand.

https://www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/bangkok/

You don't eat meat not because it is destroying your health but also think of the suffering of the animals being killed.

Do visit a pig killing station in Thailand if you don't believe me. The screaming is horrible.

Congratulations. You are gatekeeping vegan/vegetsrianism.

You actually just told someone, that being concerened about their health was not a good enough reason on its own.

Couldnt be more woke if you tried.