only 210 volts from geni

hank69

got a kubota  dg7500 geni that has not been used for say 6 months. started it the other day and can only get 210 volts when the engine is flat out.

any ideas why? i would take it back to where i bought it but its very heavy ect.... a home fix would be good.

210V would be acceptable for a nominal 220V, did you test on-load?

The generator needs to be running at 3,000 RPM for 50Hz output so set that first on the governor.

Then you need to adjust the output voltage at the AVR which is located either in the brush end of the generator head or in the control panel. Not all AVRs are adjustable so you may be stuck with 210V.

• Like 1

the dial reads 210 v when engine is flat out. it runs most of the house hold stuff but you can tell that say the bigger elecrical stuff is not running at 100 %. before  it would start/ run the big aircon or the submerge pump but it will not now.

over many hours (1000 +) could the avr become worn/damaged?

sounds like a job for my local kubota dealer.

1 hour ago, hank69 said:

the dial reads 210 v when engine is flat out. it runs most of the house hold stuff but you can tell that say the bigger elecrical stuff is not running at 100 %. before  it would start/ run the big aircon or the submerge pump but it will not now.

over many hours (1000 +) could the avr become worn/damaged?

sounds like a job for my local kubota dealer.

If you want to do it yourself you need to do what Crossy said.

So you first need to check that the frequency is 50 Hz. The way I did it was to disconnect the output 220 V plug from your generator to the house and connect a power consumption/voltage/frequency plug in (available from Lazada) to an electric kettle and use that as your load. The el-cheapo kettle I used drew 8 A. So you can see if your frequency is 50 Hz (or as close as you can get). The kettle will boil and switch off then start again (leave the top open) and you can see the load/No load frequency. On my machine the throttle control screw adjusts the reves. and hence the frequency.

Once that's sorted find the AVR.  Many YouTube vids. on AVR adjustment. It looks like half a break pad lining.

On my genset the AVR has a small screw adjustment to get the voltage to 220v. 

Even if you contact the agent they should be able to come out and do that at your place. ????

• Like 2

thanks for all replies.

had my local "fixer guy" come over and after checking everything have come to find that the alternator is damaged... dropping it off today to see if they can refurb it. hope they can as its made in italy and a new one is around 450 euro... also it was only producing 110 v ..... so have a doogy dial and looks like the breaker is faulty too...

• Like 2