I stopped drinking for 3 days.....

WineOh

On 4/29/2021 at 8:46 PM, BenDeCosta said:

Same here, it has quite a neutral tastes and considering the 30% bump in alcohol content, it's good value. Still, I would give it a 4/10 at best.

Chang, Leo and Singha, are what we referred to back home as "cooking lagers". Only suitable for cooking a beef in beer casserole, and certainly not good enough for drinking.

It's All about Taste ,Some like This some like That Beer . 

Same as everything  else ,Cars /Women/Houses/food . 

There's no good or Bad ,It's just what you Like .   ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

Yes, and maybe some people like salty, greasy food, small houses, slow and unreliable cars, obese girls and Thai beer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Only able to tolerate 72 hours alcohol free, how sad.  I suggest you look up where the next AA meeting is located and attend. 

Your joining AA will serve two purposes, help you get over the need for alcohol and leave more of it for the rest of us. ????

I went to an AA meeting once.

No way I would let them near my car.

Bunch of pissheads!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I went to an AA meeting once.

Alcoholics want to stop drinking but can't.

I'm a drunk, and entirely happy with my alcohol consumption

Currently working on my 3rd G&T.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:20 PM, WineOh said:

and It was the most boring 3 days of my adult life.

seriously, how boring is life in Thailand without a cold beer???
I tired a few of those Heineken 0.0 but to no avail..

Needless to say I've just been to the shop and got 4 cans of proper beer..

also the vegetarian thing has gone out the window already.

I've just had a sausage butty.

If only you could give up something else for 3 days, many on this forum would be relieved.

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Alcoholics want to stop drinking but can't.

I'm a drunk, and entirely happy with my alcohol consumption

Currently working on my 3rd G&T.

Someone having his 3rd G&T at 7.30pm is not an alcoholic.

An alcoholic would have halved the bottle of gin by that time

Edited by Susco

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

Someone having his 3rd G&T at 7.30pm is not an alcoholic.

And alcoholic would have halved the bottle of gin by that time

I have a litre bottle of gin in the fridge, been there for weeks untouched, me & the Mrs just had dinner with a glass of red wine each, I might have a couple or 3 large beers while I watch a movie  or 2 then bed, nice easy ( no lockdown ) day ????

• Like 1

In Australia, a bloke called Rodney Rude sang a song about beer. In it, he'd become a "wowser" - a non-drinker. The song is about 'how he'd sworn off alcohol for ever' etc then he says, "honestly, it was the worst three days of my life" ! Then, he'd begun drinking again & a chorus of "praise be to beer". About beer Chang - I did a posting to LOS in about 1992, when a certain wealthy Thai convinced Carlsberg to invest $550 million USD in LOS to produce & sell their beer, but they had to make a parallel production line owned entirely by him, to produce 'Elephant Beer' (Chang). They agreed, rather foolishly. The chap then 'encouraged' the mum & pop shops to push his new Chang beer, or lose their supplier of Mekong & Lao-cow whiskey, - their biggest sellers, but they had to take 'X amount' of Carlsberg as well, whether they wanted it or not. Thais didn't want Carlsberg (I did) and wouldn't pay 120 baht for 3 bottles of 5% beer, when they could get 4 bottles of Chang for 100 baht & get "shattered". They discounted Carlsberg heavily & I loved it ! Meantime, I drank 3 large bottles of early Chang beer at a funeral in 1993 & nearly became a corpse. The US military kindly had a case of it tested, only to find each bottle's alcohol level varied wildly, from about 6.8% to 'the sky's the limit', due to poor quality control. Meantime, sales of Carlsberg waned, as Chang took over the market and eventually, Carlsberg gave up & left LOS, leaving the plant behind, along with their $550 mil USD. A court case later was also a fizzer. The Thai chap is untouchable. Somebody once said to me "how do you make a small fortune in Thailand" - his answer was "come here with a large one" ! Chang seems to have dropped its' alcohol level to 'drinkable by some' level. I wouldn't touch the stuff again, even if it was free. Last time I was in LOS (2019) I drank Tiger & also found a beer called Tiger Lite, which was great. Both will probably be gone by the time I ever get back to visiting LOS again, thanks to Covid. Stay safe all of you over there - and 'praise be to beer'. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:38 AM, KannikaP said:

After many years of regular drinking, I got on the waggon on 1st January with a big hangover from NYEve. Went three months without a drink, felt so much healthier.

Now I am back in moderation, but will get some in today for when Man City get the league this weekend! (Or next weekend if Man U don't play with the rules!   LOL )

Man City-all money but no class.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/30/2021 at 1:25 AM, Neeranam said:

66 is a good innings. 

Many I know stopes drinking by taking other drugs 

Better known as swapping the witch for the b...ch

On 4/29/2021 at 8:46 PM, BenDeCosta said:

Same here, it has quite a neutral tastes and considering the 30% bump in alcohol content, it's good value. Still, I would give it a 4/10 at best.

Chang, Leo and Singha, are what we referred to back home as "cooking lagers". Only suitable for cooking a beef in beer casserole, and certainly not good enough for drinking.

I wouldn't even wash my underwear in it!

21 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Yes, and maybe some people like salty, greasy food, small houses, slow and unreliable cars, obese girls and Thai beer. 

Yep,???? like I said Different Taste  

On 4/29/2021 at 8:52 PM, BenDeCosta said:

Sweet taste? I can only assume you are drinking an expensive, imported beer. With Thai beers I get a bouquet of industrial chemicals, the mouthfeel of the urine of a rodent, and a delicate and not quite so delightful aftertaste of cat vomit. Just don't ask how I know what these things are like, I was a bit crazy when I was a student.

<deleted> pal, you should get out a little more often and sample some of what else the world has to offer. I like a good Boddington’s or Timothy Taylors as much as the next guy, but I think it’s borderline delusional to imply the only beers worthy of consumption are brit-brewed. You should try and open your mind a little, IMO. I know, that’s probably asking a bit much from you brits...

• Confused 1

On 4/29/2021 at 2:27 PM, BenDeCosta said:

If Thai beer tasted good, I suspect that I might be an alcoholic here. But as most of the beer just tastes like pond water mixed with preservatives, I find it very easy to stay tee-total.

If only they sold Timothy Taylor's Landlord in Thailand, it would be a perfect place to retire.

landlord.thumb.jpg.6bb47cfab5ece92008248712e32f774b.jpg

First thing I do once back in London......find a pub with no TV, no music, carpet sticks to your feet and a pint of real ale.....nectar.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:54 PM, WineOh said:

compared to those Heineken 0.0 and 12 cups of sugarless tea every day, the taste of real beer is as sweet as honey.

Heineken 0.00 is an acquired taste. Gets better after a year. ????

Just think, drinking it for a year has probably prolonged my life for 0.5 sec. 

• Haha 1

I get it but... I stop for three days every week to maintain control and health - after a few months of really REALLY missing it on those three days now I hardly think of it but when Thursday comes around I do find myself gagging for a beer or glass of wine  LOL

I think it's well worth having a bit of self-control and discipline depending on your age. I think 70 up I'll be back to drinking daily as the grim reaper won't be far away.

On 5/2/2021 at 6:14 PM, digger70 said:

I don't particularly like any Thai lager (I can never accept that it's beer) but I'm condemned to drink it so I'll drink the cheapest shlte available.

Another fortnight's supply.....

archa stack s.jpg

Edited by Yorkie
  • Haha 1