Permanent Residency interview - what to expect?

I have my PR application interview approaching and I would like to ask any PR holders for any tips/suggestions/feedback on their interview experience. I'm not overly nervous, but forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Prepare a circle as they usually ask you:

- why are you in Thailand
- what do you work
- questions about your family

Irrespective of question, prepare a little circle which touches all three subjects so you can jump in whatever they start with. The whole "interview", in my case, was  actually a monologue of +/- five minutes where I talked to an officer who did  nothing but just listen. 

Another thing was the colours of the Thai flag. Despite having seen it thousands of times I was not prepared for this question and was unsure if it was (top down) blue/white/red/white/blue or the other way red/white/blue/white/red round. Here you might remind yourself, that Thailand is politically more Right Wing Better  (Red White Blue) and that's how the flag colours start from the outside inwards. 

A pencil drawing of a warship with sails (like the Bounty with guns) puzzled me also; is it Rue (ship) Bai (sail)  Rop (battle) or Rue (ship) Rop (battle) Bai (sail)? I did not know, offered both possibilities and the officer started to laugh. As you qualify for residency application after a mere three years in Thailand it might be a little far fetched for such naval issues by a farang. 

All this is 30+ years ago but I hear that the procedure has not really changed except that these days, the "interview" is taped on a handheld video camera or phone. I also never heard of anybody failing because of an interview which went down the pan - good luck and keep fingers crossed! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should search for a similar thread 1 month ago. A guy took his wife to the interview and the officer was a real patronising <b&tch>. Asking him very hard questions in thai and very fast. The wife stepped in and the lady knocked her down as well. 

A forum member advised that he should not have taken his wife. Its recommended to take someone as high up as possible - Thai govt officer / friend of yours. If you dont know anyone take your attorney. 

I hope you dont get that same woman...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jack71 said:

You should search for a similar thread 1 month ago. A guy took his wife to the interview and the officer was a real patronising <b&tch>. Asking him very hard questions in thai and very fast. The wife stepped in and the lady knocked her down as well. 

If i recall correctly that post was from a person that went to immigration to ask about the requirements. The OP is already beyond that since he it doing the interview after submitting his application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to you all for your replies. It’s much appreciated and very valuable information.

I’m kind of going in with an open mind. My general Thai isnt too bad and I plan to talk as much as I can about things I know the vocabulary for to maybe try to stop them asking too many questions. And of course say lots of nice things about the country and people. I hope they don’t ask about politics and the like. 

I’ll have to picture the Thai flag in my mind in case that comes up. Right Wing Better is a good way to remember it. Thanks! 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If i recall correctly that post was from a person that went to immigration to ask about the requirements. The OP is already beyond that since he it doing the interview after submitting his application.

Sorry but you're incorrect. I remember the guy saying that he didnt pass it and would not bother to apply again for permanent residency. 

10 minutes ago, jack71 said:

I remember the guy saying that he didnt pass it and would not bother to apply again for permanent residency. 

You mentioned a woman immigration officer in your post making problems. It would not be one officer making the decision for a permanent residency application.

• Confused 1

Can't tell how it looks now but a decade ago the multiple choice was already history.

In my case, on appointment day we were led to a waiting room. From there, one by one we were called out to a chair in front of the door, and when one person came out, the next went into the room.

In the room was a desk and a chair, in front of maybe 10-15 people and a cameraman (or woman in my case). The man in the center had most decorations, 2 ladies to his side had significant amount of metal on their uniforms as well. He started with the question, basically as others say above - tell them about yourself, where you're from, if you're married or not, have any kids, what you do, where you work, why you're there.

In my case the whole interview was actually a very pleasant conversation with decorated man in the middle, after some very cocky guy's interview that lasted a very long time and everyone looked furious when I first stepped in. Don't know what happened with him though. (I describe him like that because of his incredible confidence in waiting room before going into that room)

Interview in my case lasted only about 10 minutes (of if longer, it passed in a flash).

One thing I see not mentioned above - it's not only about the language ability but your personality as well. They don't only judge understanding but also your manners. How you walk in, wai at them, how you sit down, how politely you act, etc.

• Like 1

Recently I spoke to a guy who did this last year.

He lives here since many years and his Thai is reasonable.

To be sure there is no problem he supported the relevant authorities with a donation (through his lawyer).

According to him the questions can be easy to difficult. It depends on the donation. ???? 

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You mentioned a woman immigration officer in your post making problems. It would not be one officer making the decision for a permanent residency application.

Correct. That person would have no vote in granting or not granting PR. However, her attitude could well discourage someone with fragile ego from applying in the first place. I can say that the crew in 2009 were intimidating and rude (as I had no lawyer and they wanted me to hire their lawyer, saying stuff like without THEIR lawyer I'll never be approved, etc.). But not long after that I walked in and... all new faces. Asked what happened to the old blackmailing crew and was told they were all removed. The young ladies (mostly) were chatty, friendly, helpful. When I was under consideration, they'd go and make all copies for me and arranged a re-entry permit as well, without having to wait the queue. They were really awesome.  It is now a year+ since I was last there but when I was, I saw the same faces, and same kindness from them. I would not believe that they would be nasty to someone just from my own experience with them.

Have a look at following from a few weeks ago, which includes some typical questions sent by me. If the OP speaks Thai as well as he states then interview should not be so difficult.

Permanent Residence. Thai Language Ability?

Multiple choice questions are not used now as per people I know who had an interview last year and not when I had several years ago.

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Correct. That person would have no vote in granting or not granting PR. However, her attitude could well discourage someone with fragile ego from applying in the first place. I can say that the crew in 2009 were intimidating and rude (as I had no lawyer and they wanted me to hire their lawyer, saying stuff like without THEIR lawyer I'll never be approved, etc.). But not long after that I walked in and... all new faces. Asked what happened to the old blackmailing crew and was told they were all removed. The young ladies (mostly) were chatty, friendly, helpful. When I was under consideration, they'd go and make all copies for me and arranged a re-entry permit as well, without having to wait the queue. They were really awesome.  It is now a year+ since I was last there but when I was, I saw the same faces, and same kindness from them. I would not believe that they would be nasty to someone just from my own experience with them.

Agree with your experience. All the staff as you say and super efficient and fast.

17 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Thanks to you all for your replies. It’s much appreciated and very valuable information.

I’m kind of going in with an open mind. My general Thai isnt too bad and I plan to talk as much as I can about things I know the vocabulary for to maybe try to stop them asking too many questions. And of course say lots of nice things about the country and people. I hope they don’t ask about politics and the like. 

I’ll have to picture the Thai flag in my mind in case that comes up. Right Wing Better is a good way to remember it. Thanks! 

17 hours ago, Wiggy said:

You do not show up with an army of lawyers and higher-ups; and by all means avoid politics.

In my case I was very "slippery when dry (not wet)" on that issue. They asked me what I thought about the government and I replied, that the Thai people had spoken for the existing government so I just assume it serves the country best. No further questions by them as it would have exposed their political opinion - which is a no no in such circumstances with fellow officers in the room. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

You do not show up with an army of lawyers and higher-ups; and by all means avoid politics.

In my case I was very "slippery when dry (not wet)" on that issue. They asked me what I thought about the government and I replied, that the Thai people had spoken for the existing government so I just assume it serves the country best. No further questions by them as it would have exposed their political opinion - which is a no no in such circumstances with fellow officers in the room. 

Thank you for your reply. 
I will be on my own when I go, and I don’t intend to bring up any controversial subjects, but ready if they do in the sense that I’ll just try to say what they want to hear. My problem here is the vocabulary, as I don’t really talk about these subjects. Hopefully it won’t come up. Thanks again. 

• Like 1