Bad Day For a Haircut -

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Errmm, you do know you are in the land of superstition, ghosts and spirits right ?

Did you know ? Is it a Thai thing or an Isaan thing?

• Like 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Did you know ? Is it a Thai thing or an Isaan thing?

Yes Ive heard it, and many others, almost one for any occasion depending on who you speak to...lol

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sherwood said:

My wife says it is bad luck to cut hair on a Wednesday, who knows. Lucky to find the Barber shops open any day of the week. Chok Chai, Isaan

Oh that's right wed is the day a certain king was born.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sherwood said:

My wife says it is bad luck to cut hair on a Wednesday, who knows. Lucky to find the Barber shops open any day of the week. Chok Chai, Isaan

Something about Prisoners being beheaded on that day

(or maybe they had their last haircut ~before they were beheaded on that day)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have found there's normally some logic behind some of their beliefs.

Like the one where they can't wash their hair when they have their period. Someone explained to me "think about it. You're trying to rid yourself of fluid and cooling your body down. It's better to stay hot".

A bit like some of our early beliefs like covering a mirror during a thunderstorm. Old mirrors used to use lead paint and apparently would attract lightning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sherwood said:

My wife says it is bad luck to cut hair on a Wednesday

Oddly enough, the place I get my mane cut closes Wednesdays - may be something in it.

Then again, I wouldn't have a clue what day of the week I was born. Or give a [deleted].

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sherwood said:

My wife says it is bad luck to cut hair on a Wednesday,

Yeah, but the shop I use is open on Wednesday (!). Better still, few Thai customers, so easy to turn up and get one on the spot instead of waiting. Works for me.  

• Like 2

A complete load of macaroni thought up by people sat on their asses all day eating.

In the North the day is differing from the North East etc etc

Absolute garbage!

Equally opening your houses for the blessing and auspicious days for luck. Load of codswallop.

The head monk is checking his diary and seeing what ' slots '  he has available..... <deleted> all to do with lucky days.

Yes, Wednesday very bad for haircuts. Mondays is a no no for finger and toe nail clipping and don't even ask about nose hair trimming!

Last time I checked one could still take a dump on any day, but I think they just haven't found a plausible way to impose curbs on that situation.

Thais love a good self-restriction.

• Haha 1

I try to get to the local one man barbershop on Wednesdays. He told me last year no Wuhan virus in our area.  Riiiiight!  We live near Pak Nam Pran, a few miles south of Hua Hin.

Last visit I asked how he was doing.  He said his legs hurt.  Hmmm.?.?  He also has several U.S. Air Force camouflage uniforms hanging in his barbershop. 

Terry

USAF camo uniform in barbershop in 2016.jpg

• Confused 1

Each day of the week has some significance for hair cuts. Wednesday is a bad day and it is related to one of the earlier kings. Thursday is for the angels to watch over you. I think it is Saturday for luck and win the lottery. Cannot remember them all.

My gf also told me bad luck to go to a barbershop for a haircut on a Wednesday, now she cuts my hair with the clippers but still never on a Wednesday !!

She also tells me “ no sex on a big Buddha day “, who knew there would be 6 big Buddha days every week ????

• Haha 1

... and wait for it... the day she declares she heard it from another girl say - 'the 9 days no sex 'J' period'... 

- and says a good idea she copy that one too...

Yes some years ago was in CM and went to the hair dressers, lady barber, place was open but she would not cut my hair "its Wednesday bad luck". So had to leave with long hair. 

On 5/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, sherwood said:

Laundries are also closed on Wednesdays - same reason, I believe.

You can still 'mash yer monkey'or 'bash yer bishop' every day, if you so wish!

It's ok, just ensure there is a monk in attendance and the barber has a bag over his head while he is cutting your hair, the only thing you will end up with is a bad haircut, which in 2 to 3 weeks will be perfect again.

On 5/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, CharlieH said:

Errmm, you do know you are in the land of superstition, ghosts and spirits right ?

OP. What's your birthday.  Mrs. Connda needs some new Lucky Lotto Numbers.

• Haha 1