buying and shipping a bike

Hi there

Any advice would be much appreciated 

Im looking at buying a bike, and see many on Marketplace, but none local

due to the lockdowns too, its a problem even viewing them

I've heard of people having the bike shipped to their home, then after inspection, paying the owner , while the shipping guy waits

But how does this work with the paperwork and book ?

No problem at my end to change ownership, this would be in a Thais name here, , but does he sign the book, and give power of attorney letter ?

I would pay the shipping fee upfront i guess 

Thanks 

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You are not going to buy a motorbike without actually seeing it,????

regards Worgeordie

so you say i would be better travelling to say Bangkok and inspecting the bike there ?

which involves 10 hr drive each way, plus quarantine on return, rather than let the owner ship so i can see here ?

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:
1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

So you are saying the seller is sending the bike to you,for you to see and test,

if you like ,you buy, if not send it back ?.

regards Worgeordie

Yes . 

If he is confident its worth the money, then he should have no problem doing this ? 

But not sure how that works with the  paperwork 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

so you say i would be better travelling to say Bangkok and inspecting the bike there ?

which involves 10 hr drive each way, plus quarantine on return, rather than let the owner ship so i can see here ?

You are giving the seller a decent deposit to do this ?

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

ahh righto, that I did not know.

Which provinces ?

Bangkok, Khon kaen , Udon Thani

Looking at a few out there, so no decision yet on province 

Thanks 

I spoke to a guy about a month ago who did the same thing, inspected and paid on arrival, but also then paid for the shipping 

but unfortunately did not get chance to ask any details on how he did this  

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

for the shipping ? 

For the bike.

If I was the seller I would require the bike paid in full before it leaves my house, you organise and pay for the shipping.

If you decide to not buy the bike you organise and pay for the return shipping, when it arrives back at my house it would be inspected to ensure it is the same condition as it left... then I would return the money.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Joinaman said:

I've heard of people having the bike shipped to their home, then after inspection, paying the owner , while the shipping guy waits

Never ever heard of such a thing. 

Plenty of ad site to look at keep looking, contact them and see if you can go and see it. 

I wouldn't let anyone ride any of the bikes I've sold without them putting the money on the table first. 

I ride it up up down in front of them and then they decide whether they want to buy it. 

And even if it has to be a used/second hand bike: why no stick to dealers/shops?

I guess the repo man must be very busy these times?

Edited by KhunBENQ

These days I see a lot of bikes bought remotely, on Facebook there are many dealers who do this, then take a photo of successful delivery with the happy buyer, it's as common as ordering a blender online....! ????

You need to pay for shipping to you "and"  for return (that would be like a deposit), you can inspect the bike on arrival, not sure about a test drive though. Pay after via bank transfer or cash, if you changed your mind, they take it back, you already paid for that return....

But it's a bit risky, buyer lose a lot if change his mind, you can ask them to do a video call and go around the bike and start it etc. and see it clearly - done it for me..., all paperwork will be in order for you to do the transfer later..., can check.

Saying that these guys give a lot of discount for the risk and remote buying, you can haggle and you get it, I nearly bought one, but changed my mind, regret it now...!

Visually you can see the bike is in good shape, as for the engine and other stuff, sometime they give one month warranty..., I think the most important thing is to check if the seller is part of a big dealer shop, and check their account history to see if they do this a lot and have experience, I wouldn't do this with a private seller...

The prices for bikes in Bangkok is over 20 or 30% cheaper than equivalent in Phuket, and have a lot more variety. I bought my last bike flying to Patong, buy and ride it back, 1000km but in a relax 3 days...???? , will do the same for my next bike, maybe BKK,  Phuket bikes all overpriced, ex-rental rubbish, or dealer bought it from BKK and brought it here to sell for a hefty profit....!

Good luck, I have Facebook account for big bikes for a lot of them if you need it ....

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

These days I see a lot of bikes bought remotely, on Facebook there are many dealers who do this, then take a photo of successful delivery with the happy buyer, it's as common as ordering a blender online....! ????

You need to pay for shipping to you "and"  for return (that would be like a deposit), you can inspect the bike on arrival, not sure about a test drive though. Pay after via bank transfer or cash, if you changed your mind, they take it back, you already paid for that return....

But it's a bit risky, buyer lose a lot if change his mind, you can ask them to do a video call and go around the bike and start it etc. and see it clearly - done it for me..., all paperwork will be in order for you to do the transfer later..., can check.

Saying that these guys give a lot of discount for the risk and remote buying, you can haggle and you get it, I nearly bought one, but changed my mind, regret it now...!

Visually you can see the bike is in good shape, as for the engine and other stuff, sometime they give one month warranty..., I think the most important thing is to check if the seller is part of a big dealer shop, and check their account history to see if they do this a lot and have experience, I wouldn't do this with a private seller...

The prices for bikes in Bangkok is over 20 or 30% cheaper than equivalent in Phuket, and have a lot more variety. I bought my last bike flying to Patong, buy and ride it back, 1000km but in a relax 3 days...???? , will do the same for my next bike, maybe BKK,  Phuket bikes all overpriced, ex-rental rubbish, or dealer bought it from BKK and brought it here to sell for a hefty profit....!

Good luck, I have Facebook account for big bikes for a lot of them if you need it ....

Thanks Agusts, much appreciated

this is what i thought it would be, just need to find the right bike at the right price and then someone who will also ship for inspection

I believe some of the big bike shops will do this, but wil look and ask

Its either do this, or wait till later in the year when i can travel to Bangkok and places without the quarantine on return 

Any help for bike would be very much appreciated . can in box me if you have time

Thanks again for your help

I bought used from Thunderbike( in NonthaburiI think). Video walk around and spiel in Thai. Average to a bit expensive for what it is. 10% or so deposit, ballance on delivery. Free delivery as paying "cash." They answered a few questions before I decided. And they included a T shirt! And 2 inner tubes( yes it has tube type tyres) a tiny cleaning kit and a cover. Sent ID etc and name in green book when delivered. They asked me to pay transfer but they paid in the end. New battery installed by them too I'm pretty sure. I didn't haggle as "free" delivery. Sort of wish I had haggled really... My reason to buy this way was pretty similar to op. Sure, possibly better and/or cheaper around but then got to collect it in person or figure out transport for it. This was easier for me...

On 5/7/2021 at 11:29 PM, Kwasaki said:

Never ever heard of such a thing. 

Plenty of ad site to look at keep looking, contact them and see if you can go and see it. 

I wouldn't let anyone ride any of the bikes I've sold without them putting the money on the table first. 

I ride it up up down in front of them and then they decide whether they want to buy it. 

10 years ago, nobody had ever heard of Carvana, either.

Only makes sense that their business model would be modified for scooters and brought (by someone) to Thailand.  I'd like to have 1% of their market cap, even if the business model flops miserably in LOS.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

10 years ago, nobody had ever heard of Carvana, either.

Only makes sense that their business model would be modified for scooters and brought (by someone) to Thailand.  I'd like to have 1% of their market cap, even if the business model flops miserably in LOS.

A company as you know would operate differently, what OP suggest would not done by a private seller unless they are extremely desperate.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

A company as you know would operate differently, what OP suggest would not done by a private seller unless they are extremely desperate.

I could see a 2nd hand dealer doing it.   Lots of them pose online as individual sellers.

I can also envision someone charging a few baht to act as an escrow/ delivery agent, going between the buyer and seller.  If you've got a scooter for sale in BKK for 5,000 baht, and I know a buyer in Chiang Mai willing to pay 8,000 baht...

Not to mention, with massive unemployment in the tourism sector, these are desperate times for many.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 2:51 AM, Joinaman said:

no travel to certain provinces, without quarantine on return 

So don't tell them you left and then re-enter via a country lane or rice field. Nobody's telling...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some people do this. They inspect the bike through Facebook live, pay for it then we send it to them. Not a big problem if they know what bike they want and have test ridden it already somewhere else. We don't do COD though, we only ship paid bikes.  

The papers come with the delivery all prepared, all they have to do is bring the documents to their local DLT to transfer it. 

I just sent an Yamaha Aerox to Buriram few days back and a Kawasaki Z250 to Surin last week. 

Edited by alx123