Major hurdles remain for Thailand’s vaccine drive

webfact

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I once said Thailand will be amongst the last of the developed countries to be vaccinated, and that that wouldn't happen until 2022.

Glad to see I'm still on track for the win and the old spidey senses are still working

Most economists, as well as ordinary informed people, wouldn't call a country with a per capita GDP of $7,295 "developed." (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?locations=TH)  Lower middle-income country or higher-income developing country is more accurate. For a country with these financial and resource constraints, Thailand has done very well handling the pandemic.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Most economists, as well as ordinary informed people, wouldn't call a country with a per capita GDP of $7,295 "developed." (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?locations=TH)  Lower middle-income country or higher-income developing country is more accurate. For a country with these financial and resource constraints, Thailand has done very well handling the pandemic.

Yet Laos and Cambodia, both much poorer nations, have managed to do a far better job in vaccinating their people.

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

Even if we get 20 million vaccines from them in June, it doesn’t matter because we do not have the capacity to vaccinate at a high number,” the source said.

“That is the reason we are asking private hospitals for help because we don’t have logistical capabilities to administer millions of vaccines per month.”

They should be sorting this now. Hopefully Thailand is only a month away from the commencement of mass vaccinations so they need to be training people to administer jabs, as there probably aren't enough medical personnel to go round, and they should be sorting out locations where the public can go to get the vaccines without interfering too much with the day to day running of the hospitals.

Advanced planning? Here?   

Why you thing too mutch? 

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Thai Enquirer information from an unnamed source at the ministry that Siam Biosciences cannot supply its quota of 6 million doses in June seems to fit with the government's recent urgent increase in Sinovac orders and its sudden declaration that Sinovac is safe for over 60s, even though the WHO said the evidence for that, which came from a report from China, was not compelling.  Do the best you can with what you've got.  Stony silence ilence from Astra Zeneca and Siambiosciences.

The government should never have given the contract to a company which had never produced vaccines before, but claims they fitted all the requirements. So far sadly, being able to do the job as promised appears not to have been one of them. 

6 hours ago, wasabi said:

They just installed a pair of those temperature checking machines at my condo this week. Aside from being mildly offended that I am expected to validate my health just to return home it just seems pathetic. Over a year since this started and that is their solution? 98% of residents walk past the machine anyway so not sure who's bright idea that was. Glad I'll be gone in a week. But will gladly return once I'm vaccinated and things calm down here... whenever that is.

This temperature check is just a false sense of security. People can spread Covid, but not even show a fever.

• Like 1

moderna and pfizer will be taxed 14%.

Moderna will be sold by private hospitals.

Looks like Pfizer might also be sold by private, possible by GPO directly to public, outside on official vax program - otherwise why taxing it at all.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27413/anutin-defends-14-per-cent-tax-on-private-hospitals-looking-to-import-vaccine/

Edited by internationalism

14 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Looks like Pfizer might also be sold by private, possible by GPO directly to public, outside on official vax program - otherwise why taxing it at all.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27413/anutin-defends-14-per-cent-tax-on-private-hospitals-looking-to-import-vaccine/

If that 14% tax will hasten the arrival of these vaccines, I'm all for it.

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If that 14% tax will hasten the arrival of these vaccines, I'm all for it.

they can only come sometimes after the AZ will be hailed as the great success.

If you need fast, than AZ doesn't have an alternative.

One thing is to approve a vax (but even they are not approved yet), ordering them takes time.

I don't think nobody gave any timetable. Even quantities are not mentioned 

Talking a good game for road fatalities and air pollution when everyone knew nothing would be done and those numbers have gone unabated...

the beauty of doses in arms can be measured and talking a good game has no bearing on this topic...infection rates and deaths will climb due to no action, delayed action and big picture incompetency...

just went over one million vaccinated last week....disgraceful

you can't eat the elephant in one bite and that is exactly what the gov is trying to do - talk about 70% herd immunity opening its borders.....pie in the sky promises

how about concrete and measurable  plans - 3 million 5 Million 15 million by specific dates and how they are accomplishing them....zero talk about details...venues staffs resources schedules priority groups coordination follow up plans etc

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wasabi said:

Exactly. The temperature checks are purely theater -- giving a false sense of comfort and letting people say, well at least we did something in the event someone does come down with Covid.

I agree. Same with the people in hazmat suits disenfecting everything in sight, especially outside.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, internationalism said:

It's hilarious. Why would it NEED to be taxed? To make up for the lack of profit selling the communist Chinese vaccine given free or from that 'other' manufacturer.

Nothing happens in Thailand unless the right people get paid.

From Thai Enquirer Article

The Ministry of Public Health doesn’t have jurisdiction in Bangkok, the governors office is insisting that they run the show and so far there has not been enough coordination between organizations,” the source said. “I am not sure if the governor sees this as a PR trip ahead of Bangkok gubernatorial elections.”

As people fall ill, infect family members, spread disease throughout Bangkok, lose life savings and die.

Edited by kynikoi