Thailand reports 4,887 COVID-19 cases, 32 new deaths 

webfact

16 hours ago, WineOh said:

Here we go.

The flood gates are about to burst wide open..

Full lockdown on the horizon. 

I'm safe in my room with my wine????

I am with you but for me it will be whine.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like I’ll be going back to the USA. 

I’m tired of reactionary lockdowns and the Junta destroying what little economy that was left, because hey, it’s all about saving face, who cares about the average worker? Gotta retain those low numbers so the big boy countries can notice we puffed our chest out! Can’t let the world see us as weak! Thailand NUMBA 1! LOOK MA, NO HANDS!

I literally can’t do anything now. Can’t go to the gym, can’t go out to eat, it’s hot as all hell because it’s May, so staying outside is uncomfortable. What other reason do I have to stay here? Hope that this the-worse-yet covid lockdown “only” lasts half a year? Just hope I’ll finally be able to enjoy a life that doesn’t resemble a third world dictatorship, in 2023?

<deleted> Thailand, I’m done with you. You truly are a third world country and this latest blunder and mismanagement showed your true colors. You are basically North Korea with slightly less terrible leaders. Seriously, banning ALL indoor dining, possibly deporting every single foreigner who DARES defy the almighty Prayuth’s wishes, and mask Mandate, even if they dare to lower their mask to take a sip of a drink?

Nope, I’m good. Honestly can’t wait to get back to Washington, where I can carry my gun lawfully. In Thailand I can’t even own Pepper-spray. And even if I did successfully protect myself against an attacker, with lets say, a fricken pocket knife, I’ll automatically be in trouble because I dared to stand up to a Thai Citizen and refused to become a victim to the criminality here that preys on farrangs *just* because I wanted to use some kind of tool instead of my bare fists. Foreigner protection here is NON EXISTENT.

Back Home,  Everyone can understand what I’m saying, it’s not blistering hot, and my government is actually competent and can vaccinate everyone in a realistic timeline.

It was a nice couple years experiment. Reap what you sow, Thailand. Hope the next coup you have doesn’t end in a Junta-controlled government. 

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, WineOh said:

Made me sick to my stomach the amount of gloating people did here last year.

what's that old saying, 'pride comes before a?......'

I reckon it was the wine that made you sick.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

05-13-21j.jpg.d089802ea9dcd2545d40341d5f7b679a.jpg

Excerpt from a Thai Ministry of Public Health COVID cases update Thursday.

Thailand’s Total COVID Case Count Now Exceeds That of China?

Statistics Used by the Government Say Yes, Reality Says Likely No

Famous American author Mark Twain once made the now well-known observation – “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.”

That’s probably an aphorism worth remembering today with the news, depending which source is used, that Thailand’s official tally of total COVID cases, now at 93,794, has either surpassed or soon will surpass the comparable official cumulative COVID case total from China.

If it seems too improbable to be true that Thailand, a smaller country of only 70 million people, would somehow exceed the total COVID case count of China, the world’s most populous country with 1.4 billion people where the pandemic began, that’s probably because in all likelihood despite the statistics, it’s simply not true.

Even so, several widely quoted gatherers of officially reported COVID statistics tell a different story. The U.S. tracking company Worldometer as of Thursday had China with 90,808 cumulative COVID cases, a total Thailand far surpassed with the 4,887 new cases reported Thursday to reach a total of 93,794.

Worldometer happens to be the outside source the Thai government uses for its own publicly issued reports of how the country is faring with COVID cases compared to other world countries. Prior to Thursday’s update, Worldometer had China and Thailand ranked 96th and 98th, respectively, among 200+ countries worldwide for total COVID cases.

Meanwhile, the more widely cited Johns Hopkins University of Medicine in the U.S. has its stats for the two countries that suggest Thailand is less than a week away from equaling or surpassing China. That’s because Johns Hopkins has a higher tally of nearly 103,000 total cases for China compared to Worldometer.

In real life, the two countries present an odd and usual contrast in COVID experiences. China became the poster country for COVID after getting hit hard at the outset and then apparently recovering. Thailand, on the other hand, was largely regarded as an almost miracle country for largely avoiding COVID, until a major outbreak began last month and is continuing now.

As for the comparative statistics, researchers have long maintained that China’s official stats on COVID cases and deaths have likely been massively undercounted, in part due to government suppression and also to the public chaos that hit China and especially Wuhan at the start of the pandemic. Thus any such comparisons are invalid.

“Nobody believes China’s numbers,” said one researcher as quoted in the U.S. news outlet Time last year. Varying estimates have suggested that China’s real toll of COVID cases since the beginning could be anywhere from three to ten times higher than the official numbers.

Unlike last year in Wuhan China, there’s no indication that crematoriums in Thailand are running around the clock to dispose of dead bodies, nor have there been public spectacles of masses of sick people overrunning Thai hospitals, though available hospital beds in Bangkok lately have been increasingly hard to find.

Whereas China’s official COVID case counts exploded in early 2020 and then quickly dropped off and have remained low, Thailand went through most of last year with comparatively few cases and deaths until a so-called third wave outbreak hit at the beginning of last month.

Just since April 1, Thailand has officially recorded more than 60,000 of its 90,000-plus COVID cases and 392 of its 486 deaths through Wednesday. While China lately has been reporting about a dozen new cases per day, according to Worldometer, Thailand lately has been averaging about 2,000 cases per day.

Even with that, there are some locals who wonder whether Thailand too has been failing to identify and record all of its COVID cases due the lack of a widespread, nationwide testing program and other impediments. Thus, what largely remains to track the COVID pandemic in Thailand are…the statistics, for whatever they're worth.

"Famous American author Mark Twain once made the now well-known observation – “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.”

When he wrote that he fully believed, and acknowledged, that he was quoting the words of Benjamin Disraeli, but............

2 hours ago, phills2k1 said:

So your biggest issues are that the citizens of the foreign country that you moved to don’t speak your language, that there’s a pandemic-lockdown (that’s less restrictive than what most other Western countries implemented for significantly longer periods of time) and that you can’t carry a gun 

Its a shame this post isn’t a parody of right wing Americans, because if it were, you wouldn’t be able to nail it any better 

I too am fed up with junta incompetence and endless lockdowns without remedy while posturing as immaculate savors but I like the heat, language and people.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, adam1 said:

another doom-monger....    why are people so fond of doom-mongering and hand-wringing?

Yeah mask wearing???

there’s a Amerikan woman on utube married to a Thai man it appears, living in Samui, always out talking w people and socializing at restaurants etc…. With NEVER a mask on any of them???

whsts up w that??? 

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1392990036983881730

Chonburi Public Health Office has just just announced that they have 64 new cases today. The total so far is now 3,611. Most new cases are in Bang Lamung/Pattaya (28), Chonburi City (17), and Sriracha (6) #COVID19 #โควิด19 #Thailand

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ken Jones said:

32 deaths is very low, more die in auto accidents, not necessary to inconvenience 99% of the population to save 1%

This guy is not clear on the concept: the inconvenience is to keep the number of deaths low.

10 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I take your point, but how can you take Bangkok out of the equation? It’s the capital city and home to 10-12 million people, depending on what you deem to be bangkok. It’s kinda hard to ignore.

I would make Bangkok a purple deep red crimson zone and raise the level of restrictions. That could include a genuine, almost Wuhan style lockdown to no entry/exit in certain areas and cessation of public transport etc.

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I would make Bangkok a purple deep red crimson zone and raise the level of restrictions. That could include a genuine, almost Wuhan style lockdown to no entry/exit in certain areas and cessation of public transport etc.

Why?  The infection rate is relatively low and the daily death rate very low.  A lockdown like that would be far worse.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why?  The infection rate is relatively low and the daily death rate very low.  A lockdown like that would be far worse.

Simply for containment of potentially large clusters. The rest of tyhe country is under control with minimal, reducing numbers. 

Localised lockdowns are less likely to have the impact you fear if they are properly managed. My point is that you put your effort, and resources, into the specific areas that need them - surely, much better than a one-size fits all approach.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1393008179760361478

BREAKING: Thai health ministry reporting 30 deaths and 2,256 cases on Friday. Full update at 12:30pm.

11 May: 1,919 - 31 dead

12 May: 1,983 - 34 dead

13 May: 4,887 - 32 dead

14 May: 2,256 - 30 dead <— TODAY

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I guess they should have ordered the required vaccine a year ago. They have had 16 months to prepare. Now look what happens. Medical czar P.M. Chayut and his useless health assistant administrator Anutin. What do these 2 idiots know anything about health issues. Sounds like the second coming of Trump who did not believe his top medical advisor Dr. Fauchi a real medical advisor  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Simply for containment of potentially large clusters. The rest of tyhe country is under control with minimal, reducing numbers. 

Localised lockdowns are less likely to have the impact you fear if they are properly managed. My point is that you put your effort, and resources, into the specific areas that need them - surely, much better than a one-size fits all approach.

Sorry, I had misunderstood your post. I thought you were advocating putting all 10 million Bangkok residents into a Wuhan-style lockdown.  I totally agree that isolating clusters is a good tactic, like they did in Samut Sakhon in December/January.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Makes you wonder if the prisons have had deaths not reported as well.

From what I understand, the deaths rate for this Chinese virus is mostly the over 60s with some existing conditions. Would that not explain why there are maybe no deaths in prison?

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

From what I understand, the deaths rate for this Chinese virus is mostly the over 60s with some existing conditions. Would that not explain why there are maybe no deaths in prison?

That was my argument.....slim, relatively fit, young age profile.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Saltire said:

Want to ask if you tried to point out the risk they were taking and was there any response?

My wife will now no longer allow either of her 2 brothers anywhere near our house. One lived with us but he failed to take it seriously and he was politely asked to leave. He and his brother organise gatherings such as funerals and weddings, hiring out Karaoke etc so she rightly thought they were a high risk, to me in particular. He moved into the house next door where his brother has always lived. some 10 metres from us.

Any attempt to convince them to take more care was just to be pooh poohed in return, like it was all a big joke.

The village chief from the next village over announced that a local was coming home after several weeks in a Bangkok hospital having recovered from covid. He is currently doing hiis 14 days at home, but paranoia has already set in around his home. As someone mentioned, if it was me, the sole foreigner, I can imagine the reaction. Life in the villages can be brutal sometimes.

Quoting my own post as an update.

Poor man only lasted one day at home before falling sick and being returned to the Provincial hosptal that released him where he has died today.

No information yet in todays poo yai tannoy, but house being roped off and sanitised. He lived alone so I guess the house will stay unoccupied for years.  Could be covid or some post-covid complication.

Body not beng returned to the village, RIP.

Reports of 2 more in neighbouring villages today also.

21 hours ago, Saltire said:

22 hours ago, thasoss said:

same out where i live,originator from bangkok,lockdowned the village for 2 weeks.

Well why is the unelected "PM" and his soldiers not stopping the 90 day reports? I am the only Farang in my village, and I had to do a round trip of over 100ks yesterday to do it.

My wife told me I must not go to Makro and Tops, only go to IO and then back home.

I told her that if her government says it is safe to go to IO, then it is safe for me to go to Makro and Tops.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

You're completely missing the point. Where did I say Thailand's response was as good as the UK's response? Please read carefully. I was just trying to explain to you slowly why covid cases confirmed in hospitals are not totally worthless as you claim. The argument was obviously too nuanced for you. You seem to be a simple-minded kind of guy who needs everything to be black and white but the real world doesn't work like that.

More none too subtle abuse lol , the hypocrisy shines through . 

Keep thrashing away , its nice watching a drowning man struggle against the tide.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, tomazbodner said:

May I ask the "experts" who 2 weeks ago claimed that the peak of the wave was already behind us... for their scientific comment on the current numbers.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, The Experts (It’s a good title for a comic book) are too busy on TV shows, in interviews and on Twitter to publicise the crackpot theories of those who pay them instead of seriously studying the virus and calmly explaining it to the public as so many other serious colleagues are doing despite being constantly attacked and ridiculed.

In spite of everything, I believe that this is a good period to finally differentiate serious people with a straight back from the bribed and incompetent ones.

Just now, zhounan said:

Unfortunately, The Experts (It’s a good title for a comic book) are too busy on TV shows, in interviews and on Twitter to publicise the crackpot theories of those who pay them instead of seriously studying the virus and calmly explaining it to the public as so many other serious colleagues are doing despite being constantly attacked and ridiculed.

In spite of everything, I believe that this is a good period to finally differentiate serious people with a straight back from the bribed and incompetent ones.

And maybe put some checks on "Alternative news" channels, that post garbage like this:

https://www.nutritruth.org/single-post/analysis-of-test-sticks-from-surface-testing-in-the-slovak-republic-confirmation-of-genocide

Obviously these people are not aware that test kits are not made of cotton (OMG! Really! But it says COTTON buds!) to prevent pre-contamination, that they are often impregnated with preservatives (as test lab equipment is generally not sitting outside at the wooden bench to immediately start processing nose swab), no, there is no gland inside your nose that has magnetism stronger than the North Pole, nor can you see nano structures with a school microscope. Lithium is only magnetic if you cool it so much your nose would have fallen off. And the thing keeps on giving. Truly a piece of art, that article. I'd like to see some serious scientist trying to peer review it.. and not give up after the first sentence.