Utorrent

geoffphuket

Can anyone offer advice on how to get utorrent working correctly – IN THAILAND? I can’t get more than 2 or 3Kbps download speed and most torrents fail to connect at all.

I’ve tried the ‘speed guide’, ‘test if port is forwarded properly’ and this always reports failed, no matter what port I try. I’ve also tried everything I can think of in Windows ‘internet properties’ and connection properties dialog box’s in control panel. Either I’m missing something, else my internet provider is blocking the selected port.... which is the conclusion I’ve come to.

My internet connection is through Cat telecoms EV-DO wireless network here in Phuket 450kbps/50 – on a good day!

Cheers in advance

geoffphuket

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine was slow until when u select to down load a utorrent the 2nd window that pops up has 4 check boxes above the info i check the high priority box and now its faster?? (add new torrent)

Edited by colino

mine was slow until when u select to down load a utorrent the 2nd window that pops up has 4 check boxes above the info i check the high priority box and now its faster?? (add new torrent)

Nope, tried that - still slow. What result do you get from running the port forward test?

Can anyone offer advice on how to get utorrent working correctly – IN THAILAND? I can’t get more than 2 or 3Kbps download speed and most torrents fail to connect at all.

I’ve tried the ‘speed guide’, ‘test if port is forwarded properly’ and this always reports failed, no matter what port I try. I’ve also tried everything I can think of in Windows ‘internet properties’ and connection properties dialog box’s in control panel. Either I’m missing something, else my internet provider is blocking the selected port.... which is the conclusion I’ve come to.

My internet connection is through Cat telecoms EV-DO wireless network here in Phuket 450kbps/50 – on a good day!

Cheers in advance

geoffphuket

This may be superfluous and in that case I apologize, but you don't mention if you have forwarded the ports you tried in uTorrent or not.

If you connect to the Internet through a router, you will need to configure the router to forward the port you choose in uTorrent, or your speed will be greatly reduced, as you will only be able to connect to other users who have forwarded their ports, and not to all those who have not.

If you have a router, you should check the make and model of it, and search for a match at www.portforward.com . This is a website that explains port forwarding in detail for most applications, and most router models, by means of step by step guides.

However, if you connect to the internet via a USB modem, you should not have to worry about port forwarding.

Cheers in advance

geoffphuket

This may be superfluous and in that case I apologize, but you don't mention if you have forwarded the ports you tried in uTorrent or not.

If you connect to the Internet through a router, you will need to configure the router to forward the port you choose in uTorrent, or your speed will be greatly reduced, as you will only be able to connect to other users who have forwarded their ports, and not to all those who have not.

If you have a router, you should check the make and model of it, and search for a match at www.portforward.com . This is a website that explains port forwarding in detail for most applications, and most router models, by means of step by step guides.

However, if you connect to the internet via a USB modem, you should not have to worry about port forwarding.

Thanks for that, but my connection is through a Sierra 580 PCMCIA air card on a laptop computer.

And to Colino: 'yes' the encrpytion box is ticked

also worth mentioning here that a lot of your download speed will be determined by the seeders. I've found that files with only a handful of Seeds will download at slow speeds (vary between 0-10) where as files that have hundreds of seeds have been known to come down at over 200!

I have Encryption Enabled, my router configured correctly but my ports still show as 'not forwarded' in the tests, the only other thing that might help you is if you Disable DHT - that appears to make a difference to my download speeds.

Lastly, have you limited your upload speed at all? If you try and limit that to less than 7 then it will also limit your download speed... set it to something realisitic (if you must set it at all) - something like 20-25.

Let me know how you get on

In Bangkok on a basic package from True (1mb package I think at 890 B a month) and a terribly old computer I bring movies down in about 2 hours, tops out at about 140 kb a second.

As Wolfie said though depends on what the seeders are giving you.

also worth mentioning here that a lot of your download speed will be determined by the seeders. I've found that files with only a handful of Seeds will download at slow speeds (vary between 0-10) where as files that have hundreds of seeds have been known to come down at over 200!

I have Encryption Enabled, my router configured correctly but my ports still show as 'not forwarded' in the tests, the only other thing that might help you is if you Disable DHT - that appears to make a difference to my download speeds.

Lastly, have you limited your upload speed at all? If you try and limit that to less than 7 then it will also limit your download speed... set it to something realisitic (if you must set it at all) - something like 20-25.

Let me know how you get on

Hi Wolfie,

I'm convinced that the main problem is not getting the port forward test to show as passed. I'd like to hear from anyone who has - in Thailand.

The DHT setting. where can I find that? Last night I tried so many differnt things I'm surprised I missed anything! I sussed out the download/upload tweek and set both to a reasonable level, but still no joy.

Cheers

geoffphuket

Hi Wolfie,

I'm convinced that the main problem is not getting the port forward test to show as passed. I'd like to hear from anyone who has - in Thailand.

The DHT setting. where can I find that? Last night I tried so many differnt things I'm surprised I missed anything! I sussed out the download/upload tweek and set both to a reasonable level, but still no joy.

Cheers

geoffphuket

Do Not discount seeders, trust me on that one.

The DHT setting can be found at the bottom of the uTorrent interface near the up/down numbers, right click on the word DHT and you will see 'Enable Scheduler' and 'Enable DHT' (or might be Disable if they are already enabled

In Bangkok on a basic package from True (1mb package I think at 890 B a month) and a terribly old computer I bring movies down in about 2 hours, tops out at about 140 kb a second.

The best i saw was on a popular TV series episode, it was coming down at 350kb - i couldn't believe my eyes, i thought something was wrong! (Then i realized my apartment block had kicked off a load of users that day and i had over 500 seeders) - i wish it was like that all the time :o

Arggggghh. This is exactly why I want to get to the bottom of the problem. If it's the internet provider, then there's nothing I can do about it, I'll accept I have to live with what I've got.

For the record. I had the same poor results with my old TOT ADSL connection, Bittorent and Emule - Emule also reports that port forwarding has failed.

At the moment I'm downloading a linux OS with 63 seeders showing. Estimated download time is 5 days @ 3kbps. Movies come in at about the same speed.

So, to ask the question again, how do I get port forwarding to work - utorrent or Emule, or is it a lost cause because of the limitations imposed by CAT?

geoffphuket

For what it is worth, I download stuff from a private tracker regularly at my maximum speed, but if I go elsewhere then the speed ( d/l) usually sucks but the upload speed is generally greater...what does that tell you?

You have to look at where you are downloading from, because loads of seeds doesn't necessarily mean fast d/l speed.

[snip. PLEASE refrain from specific references. /Meadish]

At the moment I'm downloading a linux OS with 63 seeders showing.

Question: Is that 63 total seeders or 63 that your connected to?

The number inside the brackets are total, the first number is the number your connected to

At the moment I'm downloading a linux OS with 63 seeders showing.

Question: Is that 63 total seeders or 63 that your connected to?

The number inside the brackets are total, the first number is the number your connected to

Can't tell you now because I gave up and cancelled the download. I understand what you're telling me - and agree with everything....But why can't either of us get port forwarding to work- without which downloads are severly limited.

Can't tell you now because I gave up and cancelled the download. I understand what you're telling me - and agree with everything....But why can't either of us get port forwarding to work- without which downloads are severly limited.

I understand your point, but i dont consider download speeds of 50+ 'limited'

Its all about the seeders

(Yes, i appreciate speeds could be higher if the ports were working correctly, TiT)

I understand your point, but i dont consider download speeds of 50+ 'limited'

Its all about the seeders

(Yes, i appreciate speeds could be higher if the ports were working correctly, TiT)

This is my point. There's a spanner in the works somewhere

I've stopped using torrents,even in the UK where my line is 8MB its not that fast.

Try using rapidshare its 20 times faster,and just about anything on in torrents you can find on there,i use the premiun and its £4 a month,use it with flashget/flashgot and its a doddle,que them up and leave it running.I've got some sites for searching rapidshare but wont post them here drop me a PM

I can do a movie in 20 minutes.

The uPnP feature is what you need to switch on on your windows torrent client and your router to make your ports externally accessible. Find a torrent website where you can register and check that you are 'connectable' (I use zidobit for Thai mp3s, karaoke, etc). uPnP allows the client software to talk to the router to tell it what ports to open. If you dont use uPnP then you need to port forward your torrent clients ports to your external IP address; this is complex and you dont want to do this unless you cant get uPnP working.

This explains it: http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/faq.htm. Look at the section 'What does the UPnP Auto Port Mapping mean?'.

Torrenting is a mixed blessing. I find with True (I have the 1Mb/s service) that you need to change your 'visible' IP every so often by rebooting your router (True will allocate you another IP address). The reasons why:

1. I believe True will sus that you are Torrenting and will throttle your download speed after some time. If you find you have a slow download speed and have been torrenting for some time, reboot the router to get a different external IP.

2. If you have been torrenting and then stop (say to get more bandwidth), you speed is still affected because people are still trying to get 'bits' of torrents by connecting to you. Do a reboot to get another IP address and your speed is resurrected :o

Nothing I do can get my ports listed as being open via tests..

I have ADSL modem (performs basic NAT wont it), then a SMC router, then the PC..

I set the modem to pass all traffic no restrictions.. I set the router to allocate the PC as a DMZ, no firewall, the router is uPNP enabled.. I set the PC to allow the app in any firewall.

I still never pass !!!

I also have tried.. Manually setting port forwarding.. Removing the router completely temporarily.. I set encryption on.. I tried fixed port and random ports..

I dont understand how the ISP can filter the traffic if the encryption options are turned on ?? But I cannot also get the ports open on TOT..

soz thats me stumped then :o

Hi colino,

You never answered my question - What result do you get from running the port forward test in speed guide?

sorry ran a speed test came back at 0.3mg il get back to you on the othere test

I have ADSL modem (performs basic NAT wont it), then a SMC router, then the PC..

I set the modem to pass all traffic no restrictions.. I set the router to allocate the PC as a DMZ, no firewall, the router is uPNP enabled.. I set the PC to allow the app in any firewall.

I still never pass !!!

I also have tried.. Manually setting port forwarding.. Removing the router completely temporarily.. I set encryption on.. I tried fixed port and random ports..

I dont understand how the ISP can filter the traffic if the encryption options are turned on ?? But I cannot also get the ports open on TOT..

static IP :o

I still never pass !!!

static IP :o

Already done.. All the machines on the network are allocated IP's tied to thier MAC addresses..

This one never changes..

Nope, tried that - still slow. What result do you get from running the port forward test?

What port are you using?