Utorrent

geoffphuket

mine was slow until when u select to down load a utorrent the 2nd window that pops up has 4 check boxes above the info i check the high priority box and now its faster?? (add new torrent)

Nope, tried that - still slow. What result do you get from running the port forward test?

What port are you using?

Tried many.. IIRC the current one is 62663 or something up there in the mid 60's range..

I also used randomize port..

Once a machine is set as a DMZ there should be no port forwarding issues right ?? All ports are open on that machine ??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently got TOT ADSL and over the last two months was only recieving utorrent download speeds not exceeding 5kb/s - only being able to get one torrent at a time.

I knew something was wrong and did some searching on a few good torrent forums (which I naturally neglected to bookmark) - Now I regularly get 100kb/s (collective total) of all my torrents)

Anyways, the jist of what I found out was that you need to open all the ports utorrent uses through the windows firewall settings area. -

If you use XP:

Go to your local area connection properties.

Click the advanced tab.

Click 'settings' for your firewall.

On the firewall settings page click the advanced tab, then click settings.

It should give a lits of 'services running on your network that internet users can access'

Utorrent should be one of them.

I then opened NEW service programs for each utorrent port using the 'add' fuction.

(i.e. utorrent1, utorrent 2) each opening a port that utorrent uses. (ports 6881-6889)

When all the ports are open, and you select 6881 and your main utorrent port in the utorrent settings, it should begin to work much much better. Give it some time (hours, maybe even a day) to figure out that it has access.

It started out giving me one torrent at 30kb/s, the next night, 2 torrents - one 30kb/s the other 20 kb/s. etc etc until it finally connected all of them and it really began to rock and roll.

Hope that helps someone! (wish I had this info two months ago!)

I recently got TOT ADSL and over the last two months was only recieving utorrent download speeds not exceeding 5kb/s - only being able to get one torrent at a time.

I knew something was wrong and did some searching on a few good torrent forums (which I naturally neglected to bookmark) - Now I regularly get 100kb/s (collective total) of all my torrents)

Anyways, the jist of what I found out was that you need to open all the ports utorrent uses through the windows firewall settings area. -

If you use XP:

Click the advanced tab.

It should give a lits of 'services running on your network that internet users can access'

I then opened NEW service programs for each utorrent port using the 'add' fuction.

(i.e. utorrent1, utorrent 2) each opening a port that utorrent uses. (ports 6881-6889)

When all the ports are open, and you select 6881 and your main utorrent port in the utorrent settings, it should begin to work much much better. Give it some time (hours, maybe even a day) to figure out that it has access.

It started out giving me one torrent at 30kb/s, the next night, 2 torrents - one 30kb/s the other 20 kb/s. etc etc until it finally connected all of them and it really began to rock and roll.

utorrent uses ONE (1) port only ,

the rest are ALL HOLES in your security .

regards

mid

utorrent uses ONE (1) port only ,

the rest are ALL HOLES in your security .

regards

mid

Umm...then what would explain the sudden increase in speed? I didn't change any other settings...

This is the site I got my info from.

http://dessent.net/btfaq/

It does agree that utorrent only uses one port, but says you should open those 10 because if it can't connect to 6881, it tries 6882...etc

the quote:

Prior to version 3.2, BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of 6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to 6881-6999. (These are all TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. This means that the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc. Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's sufficient to open 6881-6889.

Thanks deathly durian. I'll check out the link you've posted and try adding ports in the firewall settings. This may take some time !!

I do use Bittorent, but the interface and functions on utorrent are much better.

geoffphuket

If you use XP:

Click the advanced tab.

Sorry to say, but adding ports 6881-6889 in the firewall settings has made no difference at all. The 'Port open' test in utorrent still reports failure. :o

Just out of interest I tried turning off XP Firewall completley and got the same result. So adding exceptions to it isn't going to resolve the issue anyway.

geoffphuket

Edited by geoffphuket

What type of internet connection do you have? You mentioned a Sierra card so maybe you are using GPRS? If so, forget about torrents as you are on a private network. I think the same is true with at least some of the satellite broadband services.

If you have a direct broadband connection (ADSL modem on your premises) then you just need to configure your router properly. I only just scanned all the posts but it sounds like you are trying to change too many settings?

I have used uTorrent for 9+ months here (CSLoxInfo on aTOT fixed-line) with fantastic results. I always have the green check mark, Sometimes my LAN IP (private) address changes so I have to manually re-configure my router to forward that new LAN IP address.

Provided there are plenty of seeders (say for this week's episode of "Heroes: 13,000 Seeders!) then I run at near wire-speed (~ 100 kilo-bytes per second, 800 kilo-bits per second on a 1,024 line).

I only download a maximum of 3 torrents at a time, while uploading a max. of 2.

edited to add: I just re-read your initial post and see you are on some sort of wireless network. Can you check your WAN IP address? Maybe Start, Run, CMD, IPCONFIG /ALL.

My guess is that you are on a private network so you have no ability to configure your WAN connection.

Edited by lomatopo

The aircard is CATs wireless broadband.. 400 - 600 kbps over CDMA.

I cannot get a green / open port even if I remove my router from the arrangement totally !!

What is your IP address, just the first set?

Can you more fully describe your network set-up, components/connections?

Sorry to say, but adding ports 6881-6889 in the firewall settings has made no difference at all. The 'Port open' test in utorrent still reports failure. :o

Just out of interest I tried turning off XP Firewall completley and got the same result. So adding exceptions to it isn't going to resolve the issue anyway.

geoffphuket

Ok, now I'm confused too.

Apparently I mistook BitTorrent instructions for Utorrent instructions and somehow fixed my problem.

I did the 'open port test' too and it failed. I also have a 'red exclamation mark' instead of a green check...

...so why the heck can I download now?

Oh well it works, so i'm not going to mess with it anymore!

What do the Network Status lights mean (green network light, yellow network light, red network light)?

green network light The green light means all is OK (ports are forwarded and you are receiving incoming connections)

yellow network light The yellow light means that you have no current incoming connections. If this never turns green, this means that your port is not forwarded. The best way to check is with the µTorrent port checker, found in the Speed Guide. If the port checker says your port is open, then everything is most likely fine.

red network light The red light means that µTorrent was unable to bind a listening socket. Most likely, this means a firewall is blocking it. It's also possible that another torrent client is using this port, which will require you to change ports, or not run both clients at the same time.

Why are my torrents going so slow?

Most likely, the port you set for µTorrent is not forwarded. If µTorrent is displaying yellow network light, then this is the case. There is also the possibility that the torrent is simply slow, especially those with small swarms (low numbers of seeders/peers). It is also possible that your firewall is blocking connections for µTorrent. Make sure you set an exception for incoming and outgoing connections for µTorrent in your firewall's configuration! If you block ICMPs with your firewall (Windows Firewall blocks them by default), you should allow "Destination Unreachable" to aid the proper functioning of DHT (it works anyway though).

If everything is set up fine, you will see green network light in the status bar (to the left of DHT:) after you start a torrent and get an incoming connection. If it stays yellow, try a torrent with many peers to make sure there's enough peers in the swarm to guarantee you getting an incoming connection.

If you use an alternate firewall while on Windows XP SP1 or SP2, make sure you turn off the Internet Connection Firewall (SP1) or the Windows Firewall (SP2).

You may still have to disable the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) or Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service to prevent a conflict between it and your third party firewall. Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, scroll to appropriate service (ICF or Windows Firewall/ICS), right click and select Properties, select Disabled in the drop down menu and hit OK.

If you have an alternate firewall and still find yourself unconnectable after you forwarded your ports (or have no router) and attempted to configure the firewall, you may need to uninstall it, disabling never works! If you have no router and no firewall, your modem may be a router.

You may also want to turn off UPnP (found in Connection) and forward your ports manually, since some routers have flaky UPnP implementations that cause problems. Ensure your router/modem is NOT on this list!

Make sure you've used the Speed Guide and read the instructions carefully! Make absolutely sure you chose your UPLOAD speed in kilobits/s, not your download! Make sure you do not set too many upload slots OR connections per torrent. You should also try to never run more than 2-3 torrents. In general, an average 5mbit connection with 512kbit upload shouldn't have more than 90 connections per torrent, or more than 5 upload slots, especially if running more than one torrent. Experiment with these values depending on your connection speed. This is the most COMMON reason for torrents going slow, setting those options too high WILL make things slow down significantly! More connections does not mean faster speeds. Your best bet is to stick to the Speed Guide.

Make sure that TCPIP.SYS is properly patched if you've altered net.max_halfopen, and that net.max_halfopen is set lower than the value set in TCPIP.SYS! And ensure that it's still patched, because Microsoft overwrites it sometimes, forcing you to repatch.

How do I forward ports?

This is beyond the scope of this FAQ, but PortForward should have the information you require. TCP forwarding is required at minimum, UDP is only used for DHT at the moment. You can verify if the forwarding works on BTFAQ's NatCheck. It requires you to have a torrent running, however. Alternatively, if you are on Windows XP/2003, or are using 1.5.1 beta 462 or later where UPnP works on all OSes, and have a UPnP enabled router, you can use this to forward ports automatically. This is considered a security risk by some, however. If yellow network light does not disappear, make sure your firewall is not blocking incoming connections for µTorrent.

What ports should I use for µTorrent?

It is generally recommended to not use any port in the range 6881-6889. µTorrent only uses one port, however, so you only need to forward one. It is best to use a port number above 10000.

How do I change the port µTorrent uses?

Open the Options, click Network. You can change the port in the box next to "Port used for incoming connections." However, it takes a restart of µTorrent to take effect. Make sure you do not run two clients with the same port!

I thought 6881 was the torrent well known port that everyone recommends you dont use cause ISPs tend to block/throttle it. I would suggest using a random high port number (say 23451); is it possible to change it in utorrent. Why dont u try Bitcomet; I like this client alot and have not changed to another client, well I am lazy and it does what I need well?

How to become connectable: http://wiki.themixingbowl.org/How_to_become_connectable

This is what I would do to optimize my torrenting:

1. Change your default port.

2. Set up port forwarding/UPnP

3. Cap your upload speed.

4. Buy a faster connection.

5. Disable the windows firewall, its not p2p friendly.

What type of internet connection do you have? You mentioned a Sierra card so maybe you are using GPRS? If so, forget about torrents as you are on a private network. I think the same is true with at least some of the satellite broadband services.

If you have a direct broadband connection (ADSL modem on your premises) then you just need to configure your router properly. I only just scanned all the posts but it sounds like you are trying to change too many settings?

I have used uTorrent for 9+ months here (CSLoxInfo on aTOT fixed-line) with fantastic results. I always have the green check mark, Sometimes my LAN IP (private) address changes so I have to manually re-configure my router to forward that new LAN IP address.

Provided there are plenty of seeders (say for this week's episode of "Heroes: 13,000 Seeders!) then I run at near wire-speed (~ 100 kilo-bytes per second, 800 kilo-bits per second on a 1,024 line).

I only download a maximum of 3 torrents at a time, while uploading a max. of 2.

edited to add: I just re-read your initial post and see you are on some sort of wireless network. Can you check your WAN IP address? Maybe Start, Run, CMD, IPCONFIG /ALL.

My guess is that you are on a private network so you have no ability to configure your WAN connection.

Hi There,

Thanks for the very long and detailed reply to my thread. I have to confess I'm no PC expert so much of this is all new to me!

Here’s the result I got from running cmd:

Windows I.P config

Primary DNS Suffix -

Node type unknown

I.P routing enable NO

Wins Proxy Enable NO

PPP Adaptor 3G Connection.

Description WAN PPP/SLIP Interface

Physical Address 00.53.45.00.00.00

Dhcp enabel NO

I.P Address 10.144.137.19 but this changes every time I connect to the internet

Sub net mask 255.255.255.255

DNS Server 208.67.222.222

208.67.220.220 These are my own choice for a faster connection

Just to recap, I have a Sierra 580 Aircard connected to CAT telecoms 3G CDMA EV-DO wireless network on Phuket.

The BIG problem I seem to have, is not being able to open ANY port. Utorrent, Emule, whatever, always fail the port forward test - as it would seem is also happening to other TV members here in LOS.

To be honest it’s looking like a lost cause, so if you provide a solution I'll be amazed.

you could try asking in this forum loads of stuff about torrents and all sorts

tus-kvcd-group.com

just down loaded a movie 2 hours 90kbs

loads of seeds and faster down load its a record :o

Edited by colino

Geoff is on VPN, he is invisible to outsiders, his "router" is run by his ISP, only they can configure it for him if it's not against their policy.

Forget about torrents until then.

I didn't know CAT has been selling their aircards already, is it different from Hutch? Hutch's speed was advertised at 150kb max, 12,000 B including one year service, unlimited (no torrents though).

P.S. Mid, are you making fun of him? All relevant results seems to be in Thai.

Geoff is on VPN, he is invisible to outsiders, his "router" is run by his ISP, only they can configure it for him if it's not against their policy.

I didn't know CAT has been selling their aircards already, is it different from Hutch? Hutch's speed was advertised at 150kb max, 12,000 B including one year service, unlimited (no torrents though).

P.S. Mid, are you making fun of him? All relevant results seems to be in Thai.

The old Sierra 580 aircard that CAT sell for 12.990 Baht can give a 900kbps download - if you live 3 feet away from an EV-DO tower that is. Unfortunately I'm some distance away and only average 300-450kbps.

'yep' my Thai skills need improving to read the links that google comes up with!

you could try asking in this forum loads of stuff about torrents and all sorts

tus-kvcd-group.com

just down loaded a movie 2 hours 90kbs

loads of seeds and faster down load its a record :D

Sorry but this TUS site is just another search engine for torrents - only burried deep inside another forum!!... you still have to use a host program such as Bittorent etc to do the download :o

Think you've lost the plot with this thread....I'm trying to enable open ports, which it now seems is impossible

Cheers,

geoffphuket

Can anyone offer advice on how to get utorrent working correctly – IN THAILAND? I can’t get more than 2 or 3Kbps download speed and most torrents fail to connect at all.

I’ve tried the ‘speed guide’, ‘test if port is forwarded properly’ and this always reports failed, no matter what port I try. I’ve also tried everything I can think of in Windows ‘internet properties’ and connection properties dialog box’s in control panel. Either I’m missing something, else my internet provider is blocking the selected port.... which is the conclusion I’ve come to.

My internet connection is through Cat telecoms EV-DO wireless network here in Phuket 450kbps/50 – on a good day!

Cheers in advance

geoffphuket

Ask me for anything your looking for on torrents and i'll find it for you on Rapidshare,try it you will get at least 10 times the speed of any torrent

Correct, the 10. IP address is an indicator of a private network so no reasonable torrent access is possible as port forwarding is not possible. The ISP is not going to want their wireless network clogged up with torrent downloaders.

The uPnP feature is what you need to switch on on your windows torrent client and your router to make your ports externally accessible. Find a torrent website where you can register and check that you are 'connectable' (I use zidobit for Thai mp3s, karaoke, etc). uPnP allows the client software to talk to the router to tell it what ports to open. If you dont use uPnP then you need to port forward your torrent clients ports to your external IP address; this is complex and you dont want to do this unless you cant get uPnP working.

This explains it: http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/faq.htm. Look at the section 'What does the UPnP Auto Port Mapping mean?'.

Torrenting is a mixed blessing. I find with True (I have the 1Mb/s service) that you need to change your 'visible' IP every so often by rebooting your router (True will allocate you another IP address). The reasons why:

1. I believe True will sus that you are Torrenting and will throttle your download speed after some time. If you find you have a slow download speed and have been torrenting for some time, reboot the router to get a different external IP.

2. If you have been torrenting and then stop (say to get more bandwidth), you speed is still affected because people are still trying to get 'bits' of torrents by connecting to you. Do a reboot to get another IP address and your speed is resurrected :o

Agreed, why bother forwarding, just enable uPnP, works fine for me, also have you tried Torrenting at night?

I have sat and watched my speed (normally around midnight) suddenly increase so many times, that I now expect it, if I am uploading a Torrent, I will only upload after midnight (then go to bed, leaving it running) for this very reason, but this also applys to general browsing also, as others on your shared line shut down for the night, you start to get the bandwidth that you are paying for.

Edit.....

Sorry doesn't apply to the OP, his is a different problem, but meant to everybody else in general.

Edited by solent01

In all honesty, and with respect, you did do something wrong. You chose a network provider/ISP based on some set of criteria which did not include the applications which you may have really needed. Had you asked and investigated this EV-DO (I will refrain from calling it "hack") broadband SP I suspect more than a few would have floated the drawbacks, limitations and pitfalls as they have come up more than a few times here on TV. Hopefully torrents and P2P apps. were not the drivers in your choice.