Thailand plans to resume international flights by November

webfact

Australia maybe openning boarders mid nxt yr. The brilliant minds at work here think November. Outstanding show of complete empty headed idiots. This so-called 3rd wave brought on by the general who has no idea what he's doing will go ahead with this? Just like Songkran. Many fools run many countries but I guess Thailand To Be Number One. The Hub of Idiots in Power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Australia isn't even in the top 15 of source countries for Thai tourism, so I don't think its unique policies will have much impact on any restart here.

He's correct, though, that they can't "resume" international flights when in fact international flights never stopped; saying that they'll resume unrestricted international flights would be more accurate. (Don't even get me started on the wholly invented term "semi-commercial flights", which seems to mean "commercial flights that are operating even though we supposedly banned commercial flights".)

Australia doesn't have unique polices, we just stuffed up the vaccination due to a dumb government. Something which is getting replicated here.

6 hours ago, Spellforce said:

What does it mean ? Because today we still have may internationals flights with passengers ?

Maybe is it a translation issue ?

Flightradar24 in real time:

image.png.09210c3c1343648a96c6be75a285978b.png

I'm confused by this as well. 

I just did a quick check of available flights from Los Angeles to Bangkok departing tomorrow. The following are currently flying into BKK:

Singapore Airlines via Singapore

Qatar Airways via Doha

Asiana Airlines via Inchoen

Emirates via Dubai

Lufthansa via Frankfurt

Korean AIr via Incheon

... and that's just what appears on the first page of available flights - there are more.

So what does "resume international flights by November" mean when international flights are already serving Bangkok?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

I wasn't referring to countries requiring mandatory vaccination, but airlines. Qantas, Singapore, and Emirates have all said they'll do it in the future. 

Some countries will undoubtedly require it for working visas etc, or to remain working in a country. There will be subtle pushes such as mandatory weekly PCR tests at your own expense if you don't, like in UAE right now. 

Western countries are small in number, and even in the good old bastion of democracy the UK, there are already companies with mandatory vaccination policies in place and this number will only grow. 

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.com/news/business-56113366.amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16210792014015&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fbusiness-56113366

Agree with you that there will be medical exemptions..???????? Neglible number though so insignificant.

Why is a simple swab test inside the mouth on a baby criminal? 

It's not inside the mouth but up the nose. If you don't think that's child abuse then there's something wrong with you.  Thai authorities aren't the brightest - they simply do what they're told and if they see a newborn baby, they'll force a swab up their nose in the same way they would an adult. 

I'm afraid you're wrong - if you think westerners will take this sitting down. I don't see it happening.

UAE - not a good example. They're nearly as authoritarian as Thailand.

In Israel, vaccination certificates are hardly checked anymore. Soon they'll probably drop the whole thing and go back to normal.

I can see totalitarian governments like Thailand sticking to the most extreme application they can come up with, but it won't fly in the USA - Florida has BANNED vaccine passports, as have Texas, Arizona and an increasing number of states. Some have even banned future mask mandates.

You're barking up the wrong tree if you believe authoritarian countries like Thailand are in any way comparable to the free west.

For starters - there is no punishment for refusing to get vaccinated. In some companies that are trying to institute a mandatory vaccination policy - medical exemptions are always acceptable, as is testing, proof of recovery or simply being reassigned to a different position.

We're still under "pandemic rules" after all. Things will undoubtedly change as time goes by. In a year or two from now, I expect there to be relatively few restrictions left. The only maybe might be mandatory vaccination for travel, but even there covid testing, a medical exemption etc. are likely to be accepted. It will also depend on where you are coming from, or going to. In other words, the epidemiological situation. 

For instance between Australia and New Zealand NO vaccines and NO testing is required. Only a mask on the flight (for those aged above 12). I think as infection numbers go down, we'll probably see that happening more and more in other countries.

For example - I can foresee the following possibilities: flights between Taiwan and Vietnam in 18 months from now - no vaccine or testing required. But between Taiwan and Thailand, perhaps a test will be required. Between India and Thailand, a vaccine or test, or both. That's probably how it will happen.

Besides, Thailand has now stopped it's reduced quarantine for vaccinated travelers. This proves that vaccination alone won't be the golden key to unlocking "freedom" as some people have been led to believe. 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer
  • Like 1

I'm sure this must have got lost in translation but if the Phuket sandbox is starting 1st July  and then widening to other tourist areas by October who are they expecting to arrive without international flights?

5 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I'm confused by this as well. 

I just did a quick check of available flights from Los Angeles to Bangkok departing tomorrow. The following are currently flying into BKK:

Singapore Airlines via Singapore

Qatar Airways via Doha

Asiana Airlines via Inchoen

Emirates via Dubai

Lufthansa via Frankfurt

Korean AIr via Incheon

... and that's just what appears on the first page of available flights - there are more.

So what does "resume international flights by November" mean when international flights are already serving Bangkok?

Not sure where you checked this, but many of the flight websites are showing pre-covid schedules, which is misleading. Even on the departures/arrivals board at BKK, all the usual flights are shown, with most of them showing up as "cancelled". This is totally absurd, given at least half of these flights haven't been in operation since March 2020 and will never return.

They should only list actual scheduled flights, which are about 10 or 20% of the usual number. 

Some of the airlines you mentioned operate daily, others only a few times a week. 

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Australia maybe openning boarders mid nxt yr. The brilliant minds at work here think November. Outstanding show of complete empty headed idiots. This so-called 3rd wave brought on by the general who has no idea what he's doing will go ahead with this? Just like Songkran. Many fools run many countries but I guess Thailand To Be Number One. The Hub of Idiots in Power.

So im just wondering, why is it you judge what Thailand proposes based on Australias decision to

"maybe open mid next year""

To me, Australia locking up people (even leaving outbound) for a further 12 months is a LOT more nuttier than anything Thailand has ever done.

Just think about it.

Lots can happen in just 3 or 6 months and Australia is talking another 12 months??

really?

That is just completely bizzare IMO,

and makes one think there must be more to it in Australia if they are making 12 month predictions when a lot of the world is thinking about how to open up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

It's not inside the mouth but up the nose. If you don't think that's child abuse then there's something wrong with you.  Thai authorities aren't the brightest - they simply do what they're told and if they see a newborn baby, they'll force a swab up their nose in the same way they would an adult. 

I'm afraid you're wrong - if you think westerners will take this sitting down. I don't see it happening.

In Israel, vaccination certificates are hardly checked anymore. Soon they'll probably drop the whole thing and go back to normal.

I can see totalitarian governments like Thailand sticking to the most extreme application they can come up with, but it won't fly in the USA - Florida has BANNED vaccine passports, as have Texas, Arizona and an increasing number of states. Some have even banned future mask mandates.

You're barking up the wrong tree if you believe authoritarian countries like Thailand are in any way comparable to the free west.

For starters - there is no punishment for refusing to get vaccinated. In some companies that are trying to institute a mandatory vaccination policy - medical exemptions are always acceptable, as is testing, proof of recovery or simply being reassigned to a different position.

We're still under "pandemic rules" after all. Things will undoubtedly change as time goes by. In a year or two from now, I expect there to be relatively few restrictions left. The only maybe might be mandatory vaccination for travel, but even there covid testing, a medical exemption etc. are likely to be accepted. It will also depend on where you are coming from, or going to. In other words, the epidemiological situation. 

For instance between Australia and New Zealand NO vaccines and NO testing is required. Only a mask on the flight (for those aged above 12). I think as infection numbers go down, we'll probably see that happening more and more in other countries.

For example - I can foresee the following possibilities: flights between Taiwan and Vietnam in 18 months from now - no vaccine or testing required. But between Taiwan and Thailand, perhaps a test will be required. Between India and Thailand, a vaccine or test, or both. That's probably how it will happen.

Besides, Thailand has now stopped it's reduced quarantine for vaccinated travelers. This proves that vaccination alone won't be the golden key to unlocking "freedom" as some people have been led to believe. 

PCR test doesn't have to be up the nose. I must have had 20 of them by now. The mouth is also used widely.

22 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

With all due respect, Australia only has a population of 25 million.  

It's like saying that if everyone in Australia got electric cars climate change would stop.  

Tourism is based on a much much broader scale than one singular country.  

Yes, Australia travellers won't be travelling anytime soon.  I wouldn't worry about Thailand.  Until they have a good deal vaccinated they won't be opening up anytime soon, if they like it or not.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pookondee said:

So im just wondering, why is it you judge what Thailand proposes based on Australias decision to

To me, Australia locking up people (even leaving outbound) for a further 12 months is a LOT more nuttier than anything Thailand has ever done.

Just think about it.

Lots can happen in just 3 or 6 months and Australia is talking another 12 months??

really?

and makes one think there must be more to it in Australia if they are making 12 month predictions when a lot of the world is thinking about how to open up.

Australia will be locked up until the next election. Scotty from marketing thinks it is a vote winner.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Complete rubbish again starting from the first sentence. Mouth swabs are common.

15 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

What are you doing in a forum of an authoritarian country then? If the free west is so alluring, why don't you remain within that boundary instead? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Just think about it.

really?

Very easy answer by way of a couple of questions. How's the covid situation going in Oz? How's the covid situation going here?

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Not sure where you checked this, but many of the flight websites are showing pre-covid schedules, which is misleading. Even on the departures/arrivals board at BKK, all the usual flights are shown, with most of them showing up as "cancelled". This is totally absurd, given at least half of these flights haven't been in operation since March 2020 and will never return.

They should only list actual scheduled flights, which are about 10 or 20% of the usual number. 

Some of the airlines you mentioned operate daily, others only a few times a week. 

While it's true that flight schedules have been reduced, there are still a considerable number of international flights serving Bangkok, which still begs the question of what "international flight resumption" means.

I checked the flight status page of each of the airlines I mentioned for flights scheduled to arrive in Bangkok today, May 15. Here are the results:

SQ712 - arrived

KE651 - in flight

QR836 - arrived

OZ741 - in flight

EK384 - arrived

LK180 - in flight

Edited by DrDave
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, scammed said:

i hate it to go back to winter, but im leaving when they resume direct flight

Yeah,

I find it bizarre that there are absolutely  NO direct flights right now, so you have  to do quarantine

Why would they do this?

1 hour ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

mandates where residents of Buri Ram are being threatened with 2 years in jail for refusing to get vaccinated. 

Australian's trying to return from India were threatened with years in jail and massive fines if they managed to some how find their way home. During the Brisbane lock down WA etc closed their borders to Qld.

18 months and the only quarantine centre is Howard Springs, how we have treated Aussies trying to come home is a national disgrace,  the vaccination roll out is a complete balls up, the random state lockdowns a national embarrassment (finer postcode based granular control would have been best where we acted as a nation rather then a bunch of fiefdoms) Another example, Australian citizens who were pregnant when the flew out of Aus. and couldn't get back because of Covid had their kids over seas and the kids being born over seas means they are not Australian citizens and the parents can't come home because their kid isn't a citizen.

The only countries completely  forbidding their citizens leaving unless they receive permission from the dear leader is us and North Korea. I think it was Clive James who said  "it's not that Australians are descendant from convicts that's the problem, it's that so many of them are descended from jailers"  

They've already backed away from the "opening the country if you're vaccinated and only home quarantine on return in October this year" to maybe sometime next year ...maybe.  At some stage Australian's themselves  are going to have to stop sucking their thumb, come out from under the bed and face the world again.

This isn't a sprint, things could change next week where some state goes full idiot and locks their borders again and local lockdowns are inevitable.

That said, I don't blame the politicians , they went full stupid with the support of the idiot voters as seen in the re-election in Qld, WA and Tas. Governments.  Hell, WA wanted a full time border shut down to ostensibly control the "drug problem" and McGowan won with a bigger majority!

You may not be effected, but that doesn't mean plenty aren't and to presume we're some sort of free country is absurd,

Edited by BumGun
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Yeah right. 

Park in the wrong spot for 5 minutes. Pay $200. Parking officer will get you.

Can't open up a food cart or anything out the front of your house. Health inspector will get you.

Try riding around you suburb with no helmet. You will be on A Current Affair.

Don't forget to fill out your tax return. Don't want the tax man coming after you. 

Don't let your dog get out. The dog catcher will get him.

Don't get forget to indicate. Coppers will get you.

Don't play your music at a party. Coppers will get you again.

Make sure you vote. The electoral Dept will find you.

Or try coming to Thailand and returning. Slomo will lock you out.

Etc etc 

I was responding to a claim Thailand was a police state. 

People like to think they are "free" but didn't realize that they are on a leash all this while. 

20 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

With all due respect, Australia only has a population of 25 million.  

It's like saying that if everyone in Australia got electric cars climate change would stop.  

Tourism is based on a much much broader scale than one singular country.  

Yes, Australia travellers won't be travelling anytime soon.  I wouldn't worry about Thailand.  Until they have a good deal vaccinated they won't be opening up anytime soon, if they like it or not.  

I think you will find that the tourist industry in Australia has also been hit very hard. Open up to soon here and it will just make it worse. The idiot at the top allowed Songkran to go ahead. How's that going? Bring people in and open yourself up for 4th wave etc and there will be no more tourism economy for years. As for vaccinations they mean nothing right now as there is no scientific evidence about long term efficacy and efficacy with viral variants.

8 hours ago, scammed said:

i hate it to go back to winter, but im leaving when they resume direct flight

i dont blame you, I have been in Portugal since July last year and love the winters in Thailand but with all this stuff going on forcing vaccines or a massive hotel bills and the possiblity of not being able to leave Thailand next spring, you can forget it.

It has been a bit unforforatble here with my first winter in Europe for 10 years, but the summers are fantastic, a great place to be stranded. Getting stuck in Thailand over a summer/rainy season is not fun...at all unless you like scrabble or knitting.

We have our vines to tend to and olive trees...oh and one day I might learn a few words in Portuguese...doh!! 

Bonne Chance!!

11 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Very easy answer by way of a couple of questions. How's the covid situation going in Oz? How's the covid situation going here?

Australia never had a hugely grim Covid situation, and of course are not even landlocked with other countries.

Yet they have the most draconian measures in the world,

in not even allowing people to leave.

And I would'nt call Thailands Covid situation hugely grim...just yet.

Going on that logic it should be Australia opening in October and Thailand opening mid next year, though everyone knows Thailand wont be getting tourists.

They might get a few returning, who have lived/stayed long term before,

those who have business, condos, Thai gf...whatever.

But Id be very surprised if a regular tourist just wanting a getaway will go through all that <deleted>.

Especially if aware of the risk of being dragged off to a Covid "hospitel" after all the trouble and expense of getting there.

21 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I think you will find that the tourist industry in Australia has also been hit very hard. Open up to soon here and it will just make it worse. The idiot at the top allowed Songkran to go ahead. How's that going? Bring people in and open yourself up for 4th wave etc and there will be no more tourism economy for years. As for vaccinations they mean nothing right now as there is no scientific evidence about long term efficacy and efficacy with viral variants.

I don't think, I know that the tourism industry earth wide is decimated.  Every country on earth.

WE are all aware of the concerns, but thankfully medical experts are investigating variants and efficacy.  If people think negatively and look at negatives all their lives and not the positives, then that's up to them.  I am far more optimistic on things, but of course the unthinkable can happen.  

39 minutes ago, BumGun said:

Australian's trying to return from India were threatened with years in jail and massive fines if they managed to some how find their way home. During the Brisbane lock down WA etc closed their borders to Qld.

18 months and the only quarantine centre is Howard Springs, how we have treated Aussies trying to come home is a national disgrace,  the vaccination roll out is a complete balls up, the random state lockdowns a national embarrassment (finer postcode based granular control would have been best where we acted as a nation rather then a bunch of fiefdoms) Another example, Australian citizens who were pregnant when the flew out of Aus. and couldn't get back because of Covid had their kids over seas and the kids being born over seas means they are not Australian citizens and the parents can't come home because their kid isn't a citizen.

The only countries completely  forbidding their citizens leaving unless they receive permission from the dear leader is us and North Korea. I think it was Clive James who said  "it's not that Australians are descendant from convicts that's the problem, it's that so many of them are descended from jailers"  

They've already backed away from the "opening the country if you're vaccinated and only home quarantine on return in October this year" to maybe sometime next year ...maybe.  At some stage Australian's themselves  are going to have to stop sucking their thumb, come out from under the bed and face the world again.

This isn't a sprint, things could change next week where some state goes full idiot and locks their borders again and local lockdowns are inevitable.

That said, I don't blame the politicians , they went full stupid with the support of the idiot voters as seen in the re-election in Qld, WA and Tas. Governments.  Hell, WA wanted a full time border shut down to ostensibly control the "drug problem" and McGowan won with a bigger majority!

You may not be effected, but that doesn't mean plenty aren't and to presume we're some sort of free country is absurd,

Sorry I have only seen airports charter vans and hotel rooms of  the wonderful country. 1.5 Hours for air crew to be processed at arrival as  other flights must clear baggage claim then wait 15 minutes while the "air clears"  before proceeding.  First time to spend days locked in a room, no key given. I read even prisoners in NSW jails are entitled to daily exercise taken outdoors. Even then staff call at all hours to check you are there. This is all from last year supposedly some air crew broke quarantine and drank at Manly pubs don't know how that was possible. Now all air crew stay at certain more restricted Hotels near airport

I do enjoy watching the government proceedings on TV seems most of the ministers are women. You have one American born with a faux Aussie accent who says words like "gobsmacked".  I don't drink on layovers but there is a mini bar and they even allow delivery food and drinks to quarantine .

So much smarter than Thailand! Very dismayed to read that Australia is to be closed until late 2022 at the earliest. Hope other countries dont follow suit.  I guess doing a perfect job and having slow vaxx rollout leaves the population actually more vulnerable with no immunity

Unknown-2.jpeg

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

I noticed that a few weeks ago when I flew from udon to phuket. It’s the same with domestic flights. 

I assumed it was because airlines were retaining their routes rather than giving them up, so they have to be shown on the board. But in reality they don’t operate so they show up as “cancelled”.

but that’s just a guess.

The best laid plans of mice and men.....You cannot plan anything with this pandemic. In UK people were rushing to book holidays in Israel, look where that has gone  Thailand has yet to experience the full brunt of the Indian variant, that is not going to be pretty and they are nowhere near ready for that to arrive. In UK the race is on to complete vaccines before the Indian strain bites. Over 50s will be accelerated for their second shot, shortening from 12 to 8 weeks for 2nd jab. There will be more variants and Thailand has entered the sprint at the point where 90% of the runners have already completed 2/3 of the race, or as they say in Zombieland, the fat and the slow were the first to go.

• Like 2