possible to book for 1st July Phuket sandbox

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

i really, really doubt July 1.

They seem to announce start dates here as meaning not when a thing will be operational (as one might assume) but rather as the date when they will start to think about how to make it operational.  Has happened with several changes so far and likely this will be the same....if it happens at all. So I would think more in terms of maybe August-September for actually being able to do it.

Sadly I agree with you, Sheryl.

As you can imagine, I'd much prefer extending my trip in the US by 2 weeks rather than getting to BKK, spending 2 weeks in an ASQ, getting released and flying home to Phuket on July 1 - when I could have potentially flown directly to Phuket and skipped the cost and time in quarantine.

I could change my Qatar flight from BKK to Phuket. They plus Emirates, Malaysian, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Air have all added nearly daily flights on July 1.

For now I'll wait an see.  

43 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Besides the date uncertainty there is also the issue of the terms of the plan. There have been suggestions it may require being part of a group tour (a deal breaker IMO) and the costs that have been batted around are ridiculous (up to 200k for 7 days has been mentioned..though like all else, is not sure).  For that price you could get a really nice, roomy serviced apartment in a top end ASQ in Bangkok...or quarantine in a private pool villa in Phuket. Both preferrable to being on a "group tour", at least to me.

There’s been no announcement or any official suggestions of any such requirement for Phuket sandbox after 1 July 

It is pure speculation by posters on this site based on misinformed rumors. Wait for the announcement of requirements in due course 

Edited by stuarty
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually there has been statement from TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn  both mentioning tour groups and citing a 150,000 - 200,000 baht figure for a 7 day "tour".

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/tat-looks-forward-to-welcoming-129000-foreign-tourists-to-phuket

and  also in the Bangkok Post.

So not  a TV forum-spawned rumor. Whether it will come to pass, who knows, but there is a source for these figures and the tour group idea.

You are right but it's also not known if it will be compulsory to book a group tour. Thais love group tours so do many of the foreign tourists that have been coming here before. Maybe that's why the TAT threw this option including a price tag into the room.

1 minute ago, CLW said:

You are right but it's also not known if it will be compulsory to book a group tour. Thais love group tours so do many of the foreign tourists that have been coming here before. Maybe that's why the TAT threw this option including a price tag into the room.

Or it might be because it is much easier to control/track people on a tour group.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Or it might be because it is much easier to control/track people on a tour group.

well, since people are free to roam around the island I don't see much difference to an individual. I guess a tracking app will be mandatory anyway...

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually there has been statement from TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn  both mentioning tour groups and citing a 150,000 - 200,000 baht figure for a 7 day "tour".

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/tat-looks-forward-to-welcoming-129000-foreign-tourists-to-phuket

and  also in the Bangkok Post.

So not  a TV forum-spawned rumor. Whether it will come to pass, who knows, but there is a source for these figures and the tour group idea.

I and many others have a house and don’t need a package including airfares etc  this sounds like on option and not a requirement. Let’s wait and see

28 minutes ago, CLW said:

well, since people are free to roam around the island I don't see much difference to an individual. I guess a tracking app will be mandatory anyway...

You are just assuming people will be free to roam around.   Wait until the details are announced.

I would bet you will not be free.  You will probably be restricted to the grounds of your hotel and maybe a certain section of beach for 2 weeks and only allowed to leave on group tours.

• Like 1

I checked with the Thai consulate yesterday and they replied that I would still have to quarantine even if my flight goes direct from Singapore to Phuket.

I checked with a hotel in Phuket and they said I would have to quarantine.  So, even though its been published that there will be no quarantine in Phuket after July 1st it seems the government has not informed the hotels or the overseas embassies and consulates.

6 hours ago, Craigf said:

I checked with the Thai consulate yesterday and they replied that I would still have to quarantine even if my flight goes direct from Singapore to Phuket.

I checked with a hotel in Phuket and they said I would have to quarantine.  So, even though its been published that there will be no quarantine in Phuket after July 1st it seems the government has not informed the hotels or the overseas embassies and consulates.

Correct.  We all need to wait for the deal details

On 5/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, madmen said:

@ 150 TO 200K Per 7 day tourist package you won't need any of the above .. Just stupidly deep pockets 

There is no need for a package. If I understand you correct you refer tot TAT numbers.. Some will spend that for dinner only.., but most people are happy enough on a 1000 baht a day budget plus accommodation which can be a private rent or whatever.. It does not have to be a hotel to put it that way.. You dont have to buy anything for them to let you in is probably a better way of saying it.

Edited by paahlman

6 minutes ago, paahlman said:

There is no need for a package. If I understand you correct you refer tot TAT numbers.. Some will spend that for dinner only.., but most people are happy enough on a 1000 baht a day budget plus accommodation which can be a private rent or whatever.. It does not have to be a hotel to put it that way.. You dont have to buy anything for them to let you in is probably a better way of saying it.

And what would be the incentive for Phuket to do this?  They would just end up with thousands of people avoiding ASQ in Bangkok and living cheap for a week in the sandpit.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, paahlman said:

You misunderstood. This is what was released in a recent article in that other newspaper 

HE said seven-day tour packages in Phuket will cost around 150,000-200,000 baht per person

Everything will be controlled from flight to hotel and makes sense, they don't want backpackers or cheap Charlies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nickc said:

We have started a new group on phuket sandbox. Official information and info graphics from the TAT, Ministry of Tourism and Tourism Council of Thailand. Also contributing is hoteliers and agents who have been involved in the opening. Phuket WILL open 1 July and several airlines already on sale. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294/

Like I said.