Work permit renewal required?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking if I need to extend work permit. Here's the situation:

• Work permit expires Jun 9th 2021
  • Non-B visa expires Sept 29th 2021
  • I plan to leave Thailand by end of August and leave management of company to my friend
  • I don't come to office anymore and work from home
  • I draw salary every month

Do I need to extend my work permit? Of course I'd prefer to avoid the fees if possible. If I do have to extend (given my timeframe in Thailand) what's the cleanest way to exit the company and not leave a mess?

Thanks,

Matt

If the reason for exiting the business is amicable then I wouldn't bother renewing your work-permit and your visa allows you to legally reside in Thailand until the said date.  

Re "not leaving a mess", as mentioned above, if things are amicable between you and your biz partner(s) your main focus should be to unwind any foreseeable legal/reputational risk as a director of a registered Thai company. I would resign as director as well as ensure that if you are keeping your shares that there is the necessary documentation in place between you and your partners that absolves you of any duties/risk/liability. Thai law, in particular Corps Law (CCC) is a mix of English and French law with a splattering of Thai nuance.  If things get nasty or the business ends up with "challenges" with Thai gov depts and/or other Thai businesses etc and if you have an unresolved exit then you can easily get dragged back into the dramatics.  

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SymS said:

I always thought the visa would be canceled if one stop working (assuming that's the reason for the extension of stay), and one must leave the country within 7 days after termination.

Not if it is really a visa (i.e. a sticker obtained from a Thai Embassy outside Thailand), rather than an Extension of Stay (a stamp obtained from Immigration inside Thailand) based on working.   If it's an Extension you are supposed to leave on the day the WP is canceled, although you can get a 7-day extension from Immigration to give you time to pack up!

If you plan to renew the non-b visa anytime in the future, having the WP is handy for getting 1 year. Both times I was asked for my WP when applying for new 1 year non-b.

If it was me personally, I wouldn't bother renewing if I was going to be leaving in August. 

Edited by MarleyMarl
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt199 said:

Would work permit be required to be receiving salary? I still receive salary. Or Non-B is sufficient? Thanks

Yes, you and the company could get a fine. Your friend would need a work permit and a proper visa to work in your company. Like said earlier there could be loads of issues when the company gets involved in any financial wrong doing.