What are the tastiest mushrooms?

Ombra

Are there tasty mushrooms on sale in the big supermarkets in the provinces?  The ones I have tried so far have been a disappointment as they have had little or no taste or smell. I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

These are my favorite mushrooms.

They might be good in a supermarket but I prefer to buy them in fresh markets - fresh.

It seems their name is "straw mushroom". I know how they look like and never asked for the name. ???? 

2796049191_b1f83c1b72_b.jpg

Thanks very much. The photo is a great help.

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

These? Shiitake Mushrooms, I also like them, also in dried form for soup.

fresh-shiitake-mushroom-500x500.jpg

whole-shiitake-mushrooms.jpg

No, not these. 
the ones I’m thinking of are not a classic mushroom shape. 

Here, I found them:

69EE9031-C44F-4779-89AF-22FBEADD44EB.png

Edited by HighPriority
Add pic

22 minutes ago, Denim said:

Can't beat champignon for taste.

Even my Thai wife agrees. The typical mushrooms found here are pretty tasteless. She loves champignon mushrooms but not available in rural areas.

As luck would have it we were in town today visiting immigration and picked up a couple of punnets in Tesco.

Something to look forward to for breakfast.

I like champignons. But they are definitely not the only good tasting and good smelling mushrooms - especially in Thailand.

I suggest try the two mushrooms which I suggested above. If possible buy them in a fresh market. They smell good and and they taste good.

And the dried Shiitake Mushrooms smell even better. They are available in packs in many supermarkets.

shiitake-large_e901e87e46a73ef740287dcf6

9 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

No, not these. 
the ones I’m thinking of are not a classic mushroom shape. 

Like these?

image.png.1d04271d4ff6250753b837523694964e.png

"Wood ear" or black fungus.  I have had these in different Asian countries but personally I prefer "normal" mushrooms deep fried in garlic breadcrumbs!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They might be good in a supermarket but I prefer to buy them in fresh markets - fresh.

It seems their name is "straw mushroom". I know how they look like and never asked for the name. ???? 

I love mushrooms also , and these are widely available and are imho also the best Thai choice . Shiitake mushrooms are very taste but are less spread / dried and not as widely available ( still easy to find ) . In supermarkets you can find cans with the classic Champignons at very reasonable price .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

buy them in fresh markets - fresh.

It seems their name is "straw mushroom".

Second that. The ones you get at the supermarket often have no taste, but the ones you find at the fresh markets/wet markets can easily keep up with the best Almond Mushrooms from France or southeast Europe.

Just in case anyone wants to do a little further research:

het faang, เห็ดฟาง

(Straw Mushroom, Volvariella Volvacea)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

These are my favourite but still haven't seen them here.

mush.jpg.190f04a18cc6aafd26473cb625bb4d18.jpg

I have bought them in Foodland, they can be peeled.

I fry them in a little butter and add them to a bacon sandwich.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

May I ask how you clean them? Do you just wipe the mushrooms with kitchen roll or wash them?

Chantarelle mushrooms cooked in a little butter are hard to beat...but have not seen them here.

Big-C sells Shiitake mushrooms that they buy in bulk and then individually vacuum pack which are pretty good...meaty and when sauteed with a nice brown carmelization can add a great flavor dimension to any dish...and again....good butter the key to bringing out the flavor.

IMG_20210521_063114.thumb.jpg.1e4507f6aa240a8b543910cff001feff.jpg

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

These are my favourite but still haven't seen them here.

mush.jpg.190f04a18cc6aafd26473cb625bb4d18.jpg

Bigger branches of Tesco sometimes have them ( bought some in Petchabun yesterday ) and Makro usually have them. When we lived in Bangkok Max Value also had them for only 19 baht a carton.

58 minutes ago, james.d said:

May I ask how you clean them? Do you just wipe the mushrooms with kitchen roll or wash them?

My Thai gf cleans them in water and then she uses them i.e. in Tom Ka Gai.

I use them mostly in Spagetti cream sauce. I don't use water. I was inspired by Gordon Ramsay. Any bacteria won't survive that treatment. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I like champignons. But they are definitely not the only good tasting and good smelling mushrooms - especially in Thailand.

I suggest try the two mushrooms which I suggested above. If possible buy them in a fresh market. They smell good and and they taste good.

And the dried Shiitake Mushrooms smell even better. They are available in packs in many supermarkets.

shiitake-large_e901e87e46a73ef740287dcf6

I have tried dried mushrooms, but I found that even after soaking them for about four hours they were harder than I liked. Should the soaking last much longer?

22 minutes ago, Ombra said:

I have tried dried mushrooms, but I found that even after soaking them for about four hours they were harder than I liked. Should the soaking last much longer?

Try using boiling water from a tea kettle...or if you have a pressure cooker that works too

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ombra said:

We only use the dried mushrooms in soups like lime and pork ribs. 

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

My Thai gf puts them maybe for an hour in cold water before she cooks them together with other things in a soup.

Then they are ok.

I never eat the dried mushrooms in any other form than in a soup or stew. 

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Try using boiling water from a tea kettle...or if you have a pressure cooker that works too

Thanks a lot. I only used cold water. I'll see what difference boiling water makes.

• Like 1

I wonder why nobody mentioned morels or boletus - which are both most superb to go with meat. If it comes to a risotto with mushrooms boletus are the first (only ?) choice. Risotto with champignons would be like pizza with ketchup (not that this had not been offered to me once in an Italian (!) restaurant here in Thailand ????).

But I never saw fresh morels in Thailand. They do have some kind of boletus growing in the wild, but we did not have the chance to try this variety. Dried boletus are available at Villa.

Edited by moogradod

• 4 weeks later...