Questions regarding mixing vaccines (SinoVac and other) plus Travelling with SinoVac in 'Vaccine Passport'? @Sheryl?

Hi @Sheryl

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find a clear, simple answer if it has been; there are (WAAAAAY!) too many Covid threads running.

I am on Koh Samui, and have registered to get the SinoVac vaccine next week (er... maybe; it is the usual mass confusion, but if we can't take a joke, we shouldn't live in Thailand). I am and have been a wee bit leery of taking SinoVac as it doesn't have regulatory approval from respected authorities, but on the other hand, I saw the numbers out of Indonesia and was impressed. The long and short of it is that I will likely take the shot, if possible.

My questions are these;

1. Should I take 2 doses of SinoVac, can I still take shot(s) of Pfizer/Moderna/J&J/Other later for better protection? In other words, can the various vaccines be intermingled for better protection?
  2. SinoVac isn't approved in Canada and/or many other countries. What happens to the "Vaccine Passport" if it only shows SinoVac?

Any thoughts on these two issues?

Many thanks for any comments on these 2 subjects, and for all the wonderful advice and assistance you give on a daily basis.

Cheers

SB

Vaccines passports are at this stage just an idea and have not been internationally enacted.

It is unknown at this point which vaccines would be accepted on such a document and it might vary by country.

Please see this thread re mixing doses

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1217381-any-risks-of-having-an-initial-sinovac-followed-by-an-az-inoculation-2-months-later/

This refers to combining different vaccines in a single schedule. if you are talking about getting a full series of Sinovac, that would not preclude getting a different vaccine much later (i,e. at least 6 months later). Research is still underway to determine duration of protection from the various COVID vaccines but it is likely boosters will be needed later on and these can be a different vaccine though the dose and schedule has yet to be ascertained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Not sure right now that a vaccine exempts you from quarantine in Canada????

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation#exemptions

Correct, however it does allow entry into some countries and it looks like there will be occasions when someone believes they can travel but then find out they have chosen (or only offered) a vaccine that does not meet the criteria.

Where are the WHO on this?  For the life of me I fail to understand what role they have taken in any of this pandemic.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56967973

The health body is yet to reach a decision on China's Sinovac vaccine. WHO experts on Friday said they were awaiting additional information before they could make a recommendation.

Millions of doses of that vaccine have also already been shipped to a number of countries, which have permitted its emergency usage.

I was to take a job in Saudi Arabia - they are only accepting vaccines approved by the US FDA - Pfizer, Maderno and J&J.  The full cycle has to be done; jab(s) and wait time before allowed entry.  No Sinovac or even AZ is considered.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:55 AM, DaLa said:

Correct, however it does allow entry into some countries and it looks like there will be occasions when someone believes they can travel but then find out they have chosen (or only offered) a vaccine that does not meet the criteria.

Where are the WHO on this?  For the life of me I fail to understand what role they have taken in any of this pandemic.

All the more reason to hold off on the Sinovac vaccine, AstraZeneca would look better on a vaccine 'passport card'. AZ here is given to 60 and up, possibly that will change,  the 50 - 59 grouping here are sure left hanging at this time...... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smokinfun said:

I was to take a job in Saudi Arabia - they are only accepting vaccines approved by the US FDA - Pfizer, Maderno and J&J.  The full cycle has to be done; jab(s) and wait time before allowed entry.  No Sinovac or even AZ is considered.

Correct, I know someone in Saudi now working, he just told me he's waiting on his first Pfizer jab before leaving, and they will allow him to return for the second.

19 hours ago, smokinfun said:

Who is "they"?

I suspect an employer as the Saudi authorities don't seem to differentiate in the instructions to the airlines as to who can enter.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jeffr2 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56967973

The health body is yet to reach a decision on China's Sinovac vaccine. WHO experts on Friday said they were awaiting additional information before they could make a recommendation.

Millions of doses of that vaccine have also already been shipped to a number of countries, which have permitted its emergency usage.

Sinovac is currently under the review process in Europe - Approval is a matter of time (a week or so I would guess).

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/eu-drug-regulator-begins-real-time-review-sinovacs-covid-19-vaccine-2021-05-04/

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1