Chinese First Even Before the Elderly and Sick

rbkk

4 hours ago, rbkk said:

But being born there, having a local residential address and a Permanent ID Card for 40 years does not automatically qualify you.

China does not recognise other nationalities by birth location. A Chinese National (China says) cannot say they are an American because they were born in America. Chinese Nationality trumps all others.

6 hours ago, rbkk said:

I have received all of the Hong Kong Government (PRC) numerous  cash handouts since the sovereignty change to China, but do not qualify for the Chinese Vaccine Program or a Thai visa from my "Home" countries Consulate. It's hard to know where i belong!

Do you have a "Home Return Permit"/Mainland Travel Permit" card? If you have it, you can give it a try and tell them you have this card. Chinese government treat people in HongKong differently.  One of my friends who had the same issue in Shanghai. The local government finally treated him as a foreigner and gave him vaccinated. 

53 minutes ago, Chickenegg said:

Do you have a "Home Return Permit"/Mainland Travel Permit" card? If you have it, you can give it a try and tell them you have this card. Chinese government treat people in HongKong differently.  One of my friends who had the same issue in Shanghai. The local government finally treated him as a foreigner and gave him vaccinated. 

No, I do not.

There seems to be some confusion. I have not said I want a Chinese vaccine. What surprises me is that I do not QUALIFY by birth or 40 years Permanent ID Card and a local address. ***Further research has educated me on the differences between nationality laws: "jus sanguinis (Right of blood)" Example/Asia.... .and "jus soli (Right of soil)" Example/Americas. Many countries use a mix of the two. Example/ UK

It would be very interesting to know the local Chinese uptake of the vaccine. Are there queues around the block? If you are on their lists are you expected to have it?

43 minutes ago, josthomz said:

The Chinese have donated 500,000 doses of the vaccine for the Thai elderly and sick, can you really criticize them for ensuring that around 200,000 of those doses go to their nationals?

I think healthy people, regardless of their nationality, should be in a queue behind the elderly and sick.

The transfer of AZ vaccine knowledge from Oxford UK(amongst others) did not come with any "Nationality strings attached"

Oh, sorry. I thought you wanted it. haha. My Mainland's colleagues told me that many local governments are encouraging/forcing citizens to take vaccines. They even arrange the medical team to factories for vaccination. But, they told me that many of them are still don't want to take/hold back because of side-effect of vaccines and know some old people died in HK after getting Sinovac vaccine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, josthomz said:

Donated. Free. 

They have sold 2,000,000 doses to Thailand, and donated this last batch of 500,000 doses which 200,000 are destined to Chinese nationals. 

Is that so bad? 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/china-donates-500000-doses-of-sinovac-vaccine-to-thailand-355361

It was after Thailand agreed to this (Vaccinating Chinese first) that a larger order for 3.5 million doses was approved for export to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, josthomz said:

What you are (purposefully) forgetting to state is that anyone born in Hong Kong after 1997 get's a People's Republic of China passport, which would qualify them for getting the vaccine here in Thailand. 

You were born in a HK which belonged to the UK, and thus your nationality is British (British Overseas). Even if Hong Kong now belongs to the PRC, it's not the place where you were born; and you weren't either born from Chinese parents, since your parents also were British citizens of Hong Kong. 

Nevertheless, if you wanted to for example say live in China, you could just apply one of those Mainland ID Card's for HKers and you could reside in the Mainland without any hassles, whereas say a British citizen not born in Hong Kong would still need a Mainland VISA and Residence Permit. 

So yes, IMO you were not born in the People's Republic of China and neither your parents were citizens of the People's Republic of China, so why should they give you PRC nationality? 

And answering to your post title: The Chinese have donated 500,000 doses of the vaccine for the Thai elderly and sick, can you really criticize them for ensuring that around 200,000 of those doses go to their nationals?

800px-HKSAR_passport_cover_(biometric).svg.png

People born in Hong Kong after 1997 but who have the wrong skin color are not considered Chinese nationals by China. 

Millions of people who are of Chinese race (what's that?) but have never in there lives been to China (neither have their parents or grandparents) are considered Chinese nationals by China. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, josthomz said:

Donated. Free. 

They have sold 2,000,000 doses to Thailand, and donated this last batch of 500,000 doses which 200,000 are destined to Chinese nationals. 

Is that so bad? 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/china-donates-500000-doses-of-sinovac-vaccine-to-thailand-355361

Do you consider the pattayamail a trustworthy source?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, rbkk said:

It was after Thailand agreed to this (Vaccinating Chinese first) that a larger order for 3.5 million doses was approved for export to Thailand.

Oops! 3 Million doses in June not 3.5 Million. Sorry. There is an infographic in the link to make it clearer. (The first orders were quoted US$15/dose but I cannot see any prices quoted anywhere for the June deliveries.) Anyway, my point  being is that AFTER Thailand agreed to this donation with "strings attached" (Vaccinating healthy Chinese Nationals first) China authorized 3 Million more doses for export to Thailand. When this "Donation" was brokered/accepted the full details were not clearly anounced to the Thai people. Anutin very clearly stated "Thais first" but was fully aware that this was not going to be the case. The elderly and sick will just have to wait because healthy Chinese nationals have jumped the queue.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2118991/govt-rolls-out-three-vaccine-channels

Edited by rbkk
Link

18 minutes ago, josthomz said:

Once you take a foreign nationality (other than China) you are legally obliged by Chinese laws to report this to authorities and give up your Chinese Nationality, Chinese Passport, Chinese ID Card…. Like I said China doesn’t recognize dual nationality. 

Hence why in the case of the vaccines here in Bangkok, only people with a valid PRC passport qualify for getting the vaccine; and not those Thai-Chinese which despite being ethnic Chinese have Thai nationality. 

Correct, in 2005 when my ex wife from Wuhan got her UK passport she gave up being 'Chinese' in every way.

For the first few years she had many hoops to jump through to get visas to go visit her family. Now I believe she still has to apply but only 3 or 5 yearly for a long stay 'visiting family' visa.

• Like 1

When I visit immigration I don't see these 150000 Chinese doing their visa business. Do they have two passports? Dual nationality is not allowed  by the 1980 Chinese Nationality Law. Could this "Spring Seed" program be a way of sorting loyalties before a war? History says.... https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/asia-dual-citizenship-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

On 5/22/2021 at 6:11 AM, Pib said:

Don't worry....the registration for jabs among the over 60 crowd has been less than half of eligible....and based on my Thai family and friends that is because they don't trust Sinovac vaccine, have little trust in the AstraZeneca vaccine, and/or generally don't want (afraid) to be vaccinated.    End result: Thailand has plenty of vaccine available right now for the over 60 crowd.

A current date of August 5th in Chiang Mi today for an elderly Thai. You can bet that by the time all Thais register, 2022 will be when you get a vaccine from the govt. And an appointment date doesn't mean when you will get the vaccine. Delays are quite possible ????

On 5/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, Pib said:

Don't worry....the registration for jabs among the over 60 crowd has been less than half of eligible....and based on my Thai family and friends that is because they don't trust Sinovac vaccine, have little trust in the AstraZeneca vaccine, and/or generally don't want (afraid) to be vaccinated.    End result: Thailand has plenty of vaccine available right now for the over 60 crowd.

They have been reporting a little over 6 million registered among the >60 + chronically ill and that is about the amount of AZ expected. AZ supplies will be tight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

They have been reporting a little over 6 million registered among the >60 + chronically ill and that is about the amount of AZ expected. AZ supplies will be tight.

The target was 16 Million (11.7 +4.3), so less than 40% uptake so far. I wonder if you were to be offered Sinovac (June), and declined, you could reschedule a later appointment(July) once AZ was available....

Edited by rbkk
Sp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Assuming that supply targets are met. Bearing in mind supply problems elsewhere in the world outside of the US, that could be difficult, aside from other potential issues.

On 5/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, Pib said:

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yeap...the over 60 + chronically ill number the govt gave earlier was approx 16 million.   6 million registering out o 16 million works out to 38% who have registered for a jab.  Not exactly a "beating the door down" to get in type sign-up rate.   

But hey, that 38% rate is much higher than the apparent signup rate on my mother-in-law's tight-knit soi in Nakorn Pathom province with plenty of over 60s with medical problems on that soi.   The mother in law and several close relatives living there have told the the Thai wife and I (repeated it to us just yesterday matter of fact) that no one on their soi (over or under 60) has admitted to registering for/getting a jab because they don't want the Sinovac jab and they don't have much trust in the AstraZeneca jab.   And in early May 2021 when the Thai FDA approved the use of Sinovac for the over 60 crowd that sent the signal that the govt has very, very little of AstraZeneca at this time and anyone getting a jab, whether over or under 60, would be getting the Sinovac jab.  So folks on the mother-in-law's soi are waiting to be registered.   And even if the govt announced today they were stop giving the Sinovac jab and only AstraZeneca, I'm not sure that would make a difference to the people on the soi---lots of mistrust of and possible side effects of available vaccines at the time and continued mistrust of govt.      

But it's funny, most on the soi seem to know about the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines....refer to them as "better" vaccines".... and seem ready to run out and get jab today if it was a Moderna or Pfizer jab.

... 16 million people are eligible — 11.7 million aged 60 or more and 4.3 million with the following conditions: severe respiratory disease, heart and arterial disease, chronic kidney failure, stroke, cancer, diabetes and obesity.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Yeap...the over 60 + chronically ill number the govt gave earlier was approx 16 million.   6 million registering out o 16 million works out to 38% who have registered for a jab.  Not exactly a "beating the door down" to get in type sign-up rate.   

Although 16 million is the total estimated number of people in that category I am not sure it was their target. (Their announced targets often make no sense.)

They shut off registration for June once they topped 6 million, saying it was "full", which I take to mean in terms of AZ doses.

Of course 6 mill people with appointments & rough;y the same number of doses doesn't really work out - there are bound to be shortages at some locations on some days.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Although 16 million is the total estimated number of people in that category I am not sure it was their target. (Their announced targets often make no sense.)

They shut off registration for June once they topped 6 million, saying it was "full", which I take to mean in terms of AZ doses.

Of course 6 mill people with appointments & rough;y the same number of doses doesn't really work out - there are bound to be shortages at some locations on some days.

Quote: 

Hospitals have uploaded 16 million targeted names. Those who do not find their names in the system will not be able to register.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG2104291409591

Perhaps this could explain why some could and some couldn't use the app?

Edited by rbkk
Extra+ size