Survey: 31% of motorcyclists would quit riding if forced to go electric

Randell

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

I really cannot wait for the widespread introduction of electric vehicles.

Every see how fast an EV can accelerate?  It's frightening.
The average aggressive Thai driver will become a creature of natural selection in an EV future.

• Like 1

Considering countries in upper latitudes such as Norway are more prone to the Sun's Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) power outages.  The Earth is a bit overdue for cyclical CME events of significant magnitude. When they eventually hit (and they will) it will stop EVs in their tracks.  Actually it will stop all computer-based machinery in their tracks. 

It will be interesting to see how the world responses if Northern latitude countries like Sweden, Norway, and Finland all go off-line after a hit from an Earth facing CME.
Would they change their insistence on zero-carbon electric?  Or will it be a moot point as entire populations enter Mad Max territory and begin to die out due to supply-chain failures. 
Interesting times ahead as most humans bask in the glow of their continuity biases.  EV motorcycles will be the least of their worries.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, blackcab said:

I did see a scooter-type electric motorbike advertised in Thailand. It had a removable battery pack. The idea was that when you got home you removed the battery, took it inside your apartment and plugged it in using a standard wall socket.

I could see that type of arrangement being popular in Thailand when the price is at the right point.

Most Thais will not be able to afford the electric bill when in comes due.  Really!  And when EV are mandated, Thais will not be able to afford either the EVs or the electric charge.  If anything, EV motorcycles may actually become more popular as they will be the most economical to charge.
In the meanwhile, Thailand will need to burn more coal to create the electricity.  Wind farms and solar panels ain't gonna do it.  And as the CO2 decreases the planet will be deluged in the pollution from the activities of lithum and rare earth mining and "clean" energy manufacturing which is anything but "clean." Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 6:44 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I can't see it happening here for 10-20 years, last time I looked prices of electric bikes were 3x the petrol equivalent, and petrol is cheap so no need to buy one unless you're obsessed with saving the planet

I believe Prayut had mentioned a 2035 target for Thailand mandating future vehicles sales that must be all EV.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:57 PM, thequietman said:

Yep, wife got a scooter type electric thing 3 days ago. Totally silent, so she whizzes around the village and you only know she's there until you see her. Tried it meself to go to the shop. Not that comfortable, but I cud C the appeal if my click had an electric battery. 

Would need to install a noise maker however, cause the diginals never look when crossing the road. They only listen for sound. ????

You could give her a pack of cards and a cloths-pin.  (Man, I'm dating myself here).

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpeg.ea575cac4e0861b096c5bece9885eeb0.jpeg

• Haha 1

No place for excessively noisy motorcycles and cars. A social ill that should only be allowed at racetracks and remote off-roading zones. Perhaps if they fit a 100w amplified speaker so they can continue to bother people with fake exhaust noise they won't care about riding electric bikes?' or is the oil and filth also necessary?  Take them to race tracks, keep of public roads.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

No place for excessively noisy motorcycles and cars.

My neighbor - very close, like 10 meters from our bedroom - decided he was going to start fighting cocks.

Must have 15 or 20 now.

And you think you have problems with noisy bikes and cars ? Get over it !

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

My neighbor - very close, like 10 meters from our bedroom - decided he was going to start fighting cocks.

Must have 15 or 20 now.

4 am kokekokoko gai  are the worst!  And exactly why I live in a condo with double-paned glass

33 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Must have 15 or 20 now.

Fowl are not permitted in village housing areas. Quick trip to tessaban with wife will fix it. True.

3 hours ago, thequietman said:

Fowl are not permitted in village housing areas. Quick trip to tessaban with wife will fix it. True.

Won't work here. This is a small village, most everybody related to one another.

Keeping the peace is paramount.

Replace windows with bricks and mortor, solid wood door, white noise and ear plugs work.

PITA - ? Sure.

Another Cross to Bear in this Vale of Tears - 555

• Haha 2

I can't wait to ride my first electric motorcycle.

Not a piddly small model, but a Get-Up-And-Go model.

Heard the acceleration is fantastic, as you have 100% TQ right away.

But the UK and all the rest of the countries are dreaming if they think they will become mainstream by 2030.

No infrastructure - takes 3-4 years to build a bridge, let alone build all the extra power plants, install all the transmission towers, establish local recharging.

Just another Talking Head trying to get votes - as always

On 5/28/2021 at 8:58 AM, StevieAus said:

In 2030 I will be 81 years old I think the only type of scooter I will be driving then is one of those three wheeled mobility types !!!

Make sure you also have the Hector Salamanca bell on it! ????

On 5/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, Justgrazing said:

Damon Hypersport 

Said to produce the equivalent of 200hp , attain 200 mph and cover 200 miles in range ( even more if you take it easy ) .. is it the future ? 

All very nice  but

MSRP

Premier   $39,995 USD

HS           $24,995 USD

SX           $19,995 USD

SE           $16,995 USD

Where is the energy coming from to produce the "green" electricity  needed for all those new thirsty electric vehicles

I'm hoping for hydrogen fuel vehicles   so we can just fill it up with good old rain water ????     

what's the betting that they would tax rain water ?

21 hours ago, johng said:

Where is the energy coming from to produce the "green" electricity  needed for all those new thirsty electric vehicles

I'm hoping for hydrogen fuel vehicles   so we can just fill it up with good old rain water ????     

what's the betting that they would tax rain water ?

You do realize that it takes electrical energy to split hydrogen out of water.?

Nobody is fueling cars with rain water bro.

why is this Thread in the [motorcycles in Thailand] 

- when the OPs subject matter is dealing specifically(only) about motorcycles going electric in the UK

isn't this a Home Country thing?? 

On 5/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, blackcab said:

I did see a scooter-type electric motorbike advertised in Thailand. It had a removable battery pack. The idea was that when you got home you removed the battery, took it inside your apartment and plugged it in using a standard wall socket.

I could see that type of arrangement being popular in Thailand when the price is at the right point.

Check out bkkebike.com, they offer a full line of bike conversions and ready to ride eBikes... No, they aren't motorcycles, but around town they serve the purpose well... Couple an eBike with a solar charging system and you can escape the power grid and potential shortage of fossil fuels in the future... 

On 5/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, CALSinCM said:

Which is exactly the goal of Agenda 2030.  Stop the lower classes from driving (pricing them out of the market will work) and leave public transportation as the only alternative.

The entire agenda is online at the UN website for people to read and digest... It is full of terms like "sustainable development" and concentrating humans in urban areas where mass transit will be used for movement around the cities... I advise that you read it as it is quite Orwellian and does not paint a pretty picture for humanity if the globalists get their way... 

https://www.un.org/humansecurity/agenda-2030/

• Like 1

Triumph's prototype, the TE-1.  174hp.  The battery has been developed by Williams Advanced Engineering, the electric vehicle branch of the Williams F1 team, and the engine by Integral Powertrain, a company formed by 4 Cosworth employees.  Certainly has the credentials, and the looks.  Similar to the latest Speed Triples, which isn't a bad thing in my book.

image.png.4b73e4ab38b550694a05e420cb7493f9.png

Engine and battery:

image.png.e6c469b85851267a8035d77b9bef7fea.png

I don't really care how the bike is powered, I just want it to:

Accelerate quickly.

Go fast.

Go far on a single tank / charge.

Top up the tank / battery or swap out the battery for a fully charged one, in less than 10 minutes.

Let the diehards whine all they like.  For most of them, the HD riders at least, it's probably the fear of sub 3 sec acceleration and plus 90mph speeds that is the cause of it anyway.

Maybe help to save the planet but the downside is they go fast(er) and so Thai drivers will go fast(er) and even more will die. Also will take a few pedestrians with them as they won't hear it coming.

On the plus side I will sleep with less interruptions from the noise.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:41 AM, ThailandRyan said:

The new HD electric bike makes a neat new sound so you are aware it is running and then another revving noise while riding it and accelerating.  this way one does hear it. it was a concern of the developers of it being so quiet and causing potential injuries.

To me this this "sounds" so stupid: once all vehicles have become electric, the problem will go away by itself as the environment will be a lot quieter. Hope it happens soon.