Survey: 31% of motorcyclists would quit riding if forced to go electric

Randell

No gasoline? We quit, say 31% of UK motorcyclists in a new survey from the Motorcycle Action Group

All new cars and vans sold in the UK after 2030 will have to be zero-emissions. Similar laws will come to the motorcycle world one day too, and a new survey suggests that's the day when a surprising number of bikers will hang up their boots for good.   Read mor

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rumak said:

I think my girlfriend has one of those.   She comes home and brings the battery in to get charged every day.    I didn't know she had a motorcycle

Most likely a battery for sumthin else. Are you keepin her happy in the bedroom department?  ????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I did see a scooter-type electric motorbike advertised in Thailand. It had a removable battery pack. The idea was that when you got home you removed the battery, took it inside your apartment and plugged it in using a standard wall socket.

I could see that type of arrangement bring popular in Thailand when the price is at the right point.

Yep, wife got a scooter type electric thing 3 days ago. Totally silent, so she whizzes around the village and you only know she's there until you see her. Tried it meself to go to the shop. Not that comfortable, but I cud C the appeal if my click had an electric battery. 

Would need to install a noise maker however, cause the diginals never look when crossing the road. They only listen for sound. ????

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Most likely a battery for sumthin else. Are you keepin her happy in the bedroom department?  ????

i am glad you got the joke   ????

• Haha 2

That survey may be valid in the UK where scooters are a discretionary spend.  But it won't be worth a flip in Thailand, where economic realities force people onto scooters as their main form of transport.

• Like 2

When I commuted to/from work every day by motorcycle in northern California I'd often see one or two electric motorcycles during my ride.  Performance-wise they weren't slouches by any stretch.  The only thing that would bother me is the lack of a clutch to modulate power delivery (no, I can't ride a scooter here).  With Thailand's heat I'm not sure how long batteries would last.  If it wasn't for that, the lack of clutch and the range-anxiety I'd consider riding one.

14 hours ago, rumak said:

I think my girlfriend has one of those.   She comes home and brings the battery in to get charged every day.    I didn't know she had a motorcycle

My wife is the same, always seems happy after a little ride on hers

I have no particular view on this either way other than to say that such a move will definitely put the dampers on a sequel to "Easy Rider'. The sound track of 10 great songs will be missing the 70-80 decibels of those Harley's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am concerned by their silence. Already been nearly mown down by very quiet cars while cycling. Some form of noise generator is a must.

In the first half of last century Glasgow had electric trams which rattled and the local pedestrians did not bother to look because they could hear them a long way off. Then in the 1960s, Glasgow replaced its trams with silent trolley busses. This caused a huge spike in pedestrian deaths and injuries.

• Like 2

The new HD electric bike makes a neat new sound so you are aware it is running and then another revving noise while riding it and accelerating.  this way one does hear it. it was a concern of the developers of it being so quiet and causing potential injuries.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 6:47 PM, johng said:

If/when they force me to have an electric (hair dryer)   then I'll install a sound effect machine  with Suzuki Hybusa,RD350LC and Mazda RX-8 sounds to warn other road users that I'm approaching    remember  "loud pipes save lives"   no I don't believe that  but if forced to drive electric  it has to make a noise ????

Enjoy! I guess on a bike it works best with headphones. 

On 5/26/2021 at 3:12 AM, Ralf001 said:

If forced to I could bring myself to ride this.

125mph top speed with a 200 mile range.

zero.jpg.d9ce4cf952d2bfc65794460f22502d43.jpg

I'd be quite happy with that providing I could do a 300 mile journey in 5 hours rather than 15.

It should also not weigh more than 170kg.

I mean, it should be vaguely comparable to my 20 year old Kwack 600.

I really cannot wait for the widespread introduction of electric vehicles. I live on a road with a good surface which attracts all sorts of idiots who ride way over the speed limit on loud motorbikes and who have no regard for the people living along the road. Cutting the number of morons to 31% suits me fine.

Which is exactly the goal of Agenda 2030.  Stop the lower classes from driving (pricing them out of the market will work) and leave public transportation as the only alternative.

• Like 1