'Craigslist job ad scams?'

gracefulwinnie

Hi. I'll try to make this really brief. 

I applied to several marketing positions on Craigslist and each email just bounced back to me. Each of the ads I contacted were for different email addresses and were found under the 'Marketing' section of CL. What is this about? I understand scams are rampant all around the world, but what is the point of people posting highly legitimate-looking job ads and then the email not being valid? Is this a thing? I literally saw the same job ad posted on a different day with a different CL email address, which meant that someone had created more than 1 account to post a legitimate-looking (but completely illegitimate) job ad. Of course I did not send any sensitive information (besides my Resume that has my name and a few Letters of Recommendation and my degree, but I mean, I'm not concerned about that). I'm just wondering why the hell they would post these types of job ads with fake/bogus email addresses. Thanks.

It isn't coincidence that 3 separate job ads with 3 separate email addresses that I contacted bounced back. In case you didn't understand that, there were different job ads with different email addresses which were copied directly from CL. How could you not see how that is shady like a scam? 

Edited by gracefulwinnie
  • Confused 1

I've found the BKK CL is the bottom of the barrel as far as jobs in Thailand go.

My experience is with teaching jobs. Those on the BKK CL tend to offer the worst, most uncompetitive salaries, coupled with the most picky lists of requirements and responsibilities. From this it appears they're preying upon those who don't know any better. If it was a decent job, they wouldn't post on CL.

As with jobs around the world, and particularly here in Thailand, the best jobs are usually found through word of mouth and connections.

• Haha 1

Have you considered that the Ad may be targetting certain people/nationalities (more vulnerable) and your sending IP may be being filtered out ?

There could be any number of different filters in place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I've found the BKK CL is the bottom of the barrel as far as jobs in Thailand go.

My experience is with teaching jobs. Those on the BKK CL tend to offer the worst, most uncompetitive salaries, coupled with the most picky lists of requirements and responsibilities. From this it appears they're preying upon those who don't know any better. If it was a decent job, they wouldn't post on CL.

As with jobs around the world, and particularly here in Thailand, the best jobs are usually found through word of mouth and connections.

As stated, this was for a marketing job, not for a teaching role. I completely disagree with your posting because I had found other positions on CL and worked at roles found per CL that actually were legitimate and credible positions.

What's actually the bottom of the barrel are these non-helpful/waste of time and speculatory answers/people making assumption about things I didn't even mention (e.g., I said nothing about a teaching position. Read: 'Marketing'). 

Edited by gracefulwinnie
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Have you considered that the Ad may be targetting certain people/nationalities (more vulnerable) and your sending IP may be being filtered out ?

There could be any number of different filters in place.

I have used CL throughout the years (at least 10+) in several parts of the world (this is fact, not bragging, just illustrating my point) and this is the first time that I have come across multiple job postings for various roles where emails bounce back like this. So, no, to answer your question. This was not something I had previously considered or anticipated as this is a brand new occurrence. I am clearly going to stay away from any 'Marketing' or 'Business' positions here in Thailand, and wanted to know if anyone knew an actual reason, not just speculation. It is clear that no one here knows the answer, so I am abandoning any prospective 'Marketing' or "Business' jobs like I'm dropping this non-helpful board.

Edited by gracefulwinnie
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gracefulwinnie said:

I have used CL throughout the years (at least 10+) in several parts of the world (this is fact, not bragging, just illustrating my point) and this is the first time that I have come across multiple job postings for various roles where emails bounce back like this. So, no, to answer your question. This was not something I had previously considered or anticipated as this is a brand new occurrence. I am clearly going to stay away from any 'Marketing' or 'Business' positions here in Thailand, and wanted to know if anyone knew an actual reason, not just speculation. It is clear that no one here knows the answer, so I am abandoning any prospective 'Marketing' or "Business' jobs like I'm dropping this non-helpful board.

Wow, nice attitude. Good luck with that.

You wont be needing this anymore then.

CLOSED.

• Like 1