What Books are you Reading ?

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

But there is a lot to understand about the structures of the market. Obviously Soros understood these structures quite well, or else he would not have made billions on a consistent basis.

How do you know for sure where he made his money or how much he is worth? 

He seems to make the news either for conspiracies (ie setting up fake protests) or being a super investor. Nothing suspicious about that? 

15 minutes ago, covidiot said:

How do you know for sure where he made his money or how much he is worth? 

He seems to make the news either for conspiracies (ie setting up fake protests) or being a super investor. Nothing suspicious about that? 

Well he was head of the Quantum Group of Funds, corporate entities, whose activities are well documented. His trade that broke the Bank of England is legendary really, everyone knows about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Group_of_Funds

His political activism does not interest me all that much really. What does it make you suspicious of? I'm more interested in his trading activity really.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Petethefeet said:

I have just started The mirror and the light, the final book of the trilogy. 875 pages. She is an amazing writer. I have never read any historical fiction until I read the first book, Wolf hall. I was hooked.

Yes Wolf Hall is tremendous and I'm really looking forward to reading the last book of the series...

May I also put in a recommendation for her first historical novel 'A Place of Greater Safety'....Danton,Robespierre, Desmoulins and the Terror.

Read “E=MC2” by David Bodanis ... explains the equation in detail and all the historical scientists that contributed to Einstein’s equation. Incredibly interesting.

Also, “Flash Crash” by Liam Vaughn. Tells the story of Surinder Singh Sarao, who was extradited to the US and charged with causing the financial market flash crash, whilst living in his Mum and Dad’s modest house in Hounslow, London. He made a fortune, and got scammed out of it by unscrupulous advisors. He was on the autism spectrum, so as naive as a child. Fascinating story.

• Thanks 1

The tie that Binds - David Slater (Local legend, and not that bad  a writer either :) ).

https://www.amazon.com/Ties-That-Bind-David-Slater/dp/1790945852

Introduction: Is blood really thicker than water? How far does your religious and cultural history define you as a person? Can a good person do bad things for good reasons and still be a good person?When everything you’ve thought to be true about yourself turns out to be false, do you burn your bridges and drift along through life, or do you blaze a different path?Some secrets are better left untold. Devastated by the dying revelations of the woman he had believed to be his mother Chan Tai keung felt his privileged world tear apart, he wanted to blow the world apart in retribution. His world was Hong Kong and China. Part of that world was Ben Varley, a jaded and disillusioned expat police officer who had stayed on after Hong Kong had been reunified with China. His world was far from perfect, his life full of human errors in his fight to be true to his own conscience.When despair meets hope, two worlds collide.

Screenshot_20210602-001458_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 4:28 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Wish I could read that again for a first time... and the movie version was wonderful!!! 

I've read it 5 times over the years, read the entire series, even bought the hardcovers, wonderful writer.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 1:33 PM, LarryLEB said:

As others have noted, the Kindle is the way to go for readers in Thailand.  Posters here have mentioned some of the advantages of the Kindle, but one advantage hasn't been mentioned...  You can have a sample of the book (often up to the first 10% of the book, not just a random selection)

I am not being Facetious, but does anyone actually pay for kindle (or any internet) books?

• Haha 2

On 6/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, BritManToo said:

I get samples of 100% of the book.

There's probably some people still buying music CDs.

I still buy music CDs, from op shops at 50 cents a disc. Then I put the music that I want ( I never like everything on a disc ) on a flash drive to listen to in the car when driving.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Wish I could read that again for a first time... and the movie version was wonderful!!! 

I thought it only came as a tv miniseries and google agrees with me. I did see it and it was excellent. Never read the book though.

On 6/2/2021 at 3:38 AM, sanuk711 said:

I am not being Facetious, but does anyone actually pay for kindle (or any internet) books?

Yah, I do. If after extensive search the book is not available on my usual download site or elsewhere. It's very cheap, usually costs next to nothing.

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

Yah, I do. If after extensive search the book is not available on my usual download site or elsewhere. It's very cheap, usually costs next to nothing.

If you are just doing popular books then the cost is low --But not next to nothing...

If you are looking for something unusual then as Phetphet said in an earlier post-- he wanted Whispering Wind Adventures in Arnhem Land by Syd Kyle--Amazon wanted $180.

E-mailed free to him from an internet site within minutes-

Its not so much the payment logosone --(Although I am Kinee-owl) all the nonsense in doing the purchase etc.

But each to their own--- I just don't want to contribute to Jeff Bezos buying another Caribbean Island.

12 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

If you are just doing popular books then the cost is low --But not next to nothing...

If you are looking for something unusual then as Phetphet said in an earlier post-- he wanted Whispering Wind Adventures in Arnhem Land by Syd Kyle--Amazon wanted $180.

E-mailed free to him from an internet site within minutes-

Its not so much the payment logosone --(Although I am Kinee-owl) all the nonsense in doing the purchase etc.

But each to their own--- I just don't want to contribute to Jeff Bezos buying another Caribbean Island.

Yah, that's true, the exotic titles can be more expensive, but a lot of the books cost very little. And the actual purchase is fantastically easy, you click and it appears on the kindle. Fantastic.

It's a bit late to stop Bezos being rich btw!

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought it only came as a tv miniseries and google agrees with me. I did see it and it was excellent. Never read the book though.

Just got this book ............ Obviously written before COVID but ...............

"We live in an interesting time. Materially, everything is the best it’s ever been—we are freer, healthier and wealthier than any people in human history. Yet, somehow everything seems to be irreparably and horribly fcked—the planet is warming, governments are failing, economies are collapsing, and everyone is perpetually offended on Twitter. At this moment in history, when we have access to technology, education and communication our ancestors couldn’t even dream of, so many of us come back to an overriding feeling of hopelessness. What’s going on?"

A Book About Hope.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but that battle was already lost IMO. Better off reading survival books.

Thought I would read how 'they' have been doing it. I firmly believe this guys research and insights have been used for things like the so called "Color" revolutions around the world. Now those tactics are being used back in the west. 

Edited by Freeduhdum
additional

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just got this book ............

https://dailystoic.com/everything-is-fcked-by-mark-manson-book-summary-key-lessons-and-best-quotes-2/

“People now had a ton of free time to sit and think and worry about all sorts of existential <deleted> that they had never considered before.” 

another good excerpt from the book:

"As Meta walked alongside him, Nietzsche broke into a tirade of philosophical nonsense."

Edited by covidiot
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yes, it was a tv mini-series - which can also be called a movie...

did you used to get beat up alot in school? 

IMO anything made for tv is not a movie. A movie usually runs under 2 hours, so the entire process of fitting an entire story into that time frame makes a movie very different from something that can be shown over many, many hours on tv. Lonesome Dove would probably have been much less worthwhile as a movie, trying to fit everything into a short time frame.

Were you one of those bullies that beat up smaller kids up in school?

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just got this book ............ Obviously written before COVID but ...............

"We live in an interesting time. Materially, everything is the best it’s ever been—we are freer, healthier and wealthier than any people in human history. Yet, somehow everything seems to be irreparably and horribly fcked—the planet is warming, governments are failing, economies are collapsing, and everyone is perpetually offended on Twitter. At this moment in history, when we have access to technology, education and communication our ancestors couldn’t even dream of, so many of us come back to an overriding feeling of hopelessness. What’s going on?"

A Book About Hope.jpeg

Simple explanation- too many people already don't give a <deleted>, and are only out for themselves. Good recipe for the end of civilization as we knew it.

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO anything made for tv is not a movie. A movie usually runs under 2 hours, so the entire process of fitting an entire story into that time frame makes a movie very different from something that can be shown over many, many hours on tv. Lonesome Dove would probably have been much less worthwhile as a movie, trying to fit everything into a short time frame.

Were you one of those bullies that beat up smaller kids up in school?

No. i was the smallest kid who never got in a fight... 

Even if it doesn't fit your definition of a movie, it is a very engrossing, well acted, well written, longer movie... so, movies over 2 hours are no longer movies for you... 

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

so many of us come back to an overriding feeling of hopelessness. What’s going on?"

There is something in the water making everyone stupider... including me as I end up debating them on TVF... 

Surely, my father would have asked w/great disdain - 'don't you have anything better to do?' 

• Like 1