When will Bars reopen???

I'd like to know when the public beaches and pools will reopen.  I see lifeguards out on the beach everyday (I assume to keep people from swimming).  I ask them if they know of a date for reopening.  The best answer I've received is "soon".

Of all the things to close during a pandemic, closing the beach makes little sense to me.  I could understand enforcing social distancing and no drinking on the beach, but outright closure is so sad since it's one of safest places to exercise or just relax during a pandemic.

Maybe that will change after this months ends (wishful thinking).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I have 2 hotels booked for end of July and Christmas in Pattaya, I shall only be going if the bars are open.

I expect to have to cancel the July one with Christmas being the most likely.

Are you planning on doing the quarantine? I can't see that being lifted byJuly

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, mikebike said:

I believe the seed of corruption resides in virtually all of us. Power only affects our ability to exersise it.

Tell me honestly that you wouldn't correct or erase something from your life, or that of a loved one, at some point in your life, if you could do it or have done it consequence-free?

The seed is irrelevant. The will to exercise personal discretion grows in proportion to the ability to use it. A seed is not a fully grown plant. It doesn't germinate without the proper conditions. We all can be born with the possibility of different characteristics, but that's not relevant to our later life choices. If you want to equate psychology with botany/zoology this is the best I can do. 

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

Are you planning on doing the quarantine? I can't see that being lifted byJuly

Huh? Quarantine??? Been in Udon Thani, BKK, Jomtien & Pattaya, back to BKK and Udon, then back to BKK and now in Chon Buri again all in the past month...in plane, bus and automobile. NO quarantine required. Next week will travel to BKK for a few days, then on to Korat for a week, then up to Udon again and promise you there will be no quarantining anywhere, anyway, anyhow. Zero, zippo, zilch. 

Edited by Skeptic7

4 hours ago, Speedhump said:

The seed is irrelevant. The will to exercise personal discretion grows in proportion to the ability to use it. A seed is not a fully grown plant. It doesn't germinate without the proper conditions. We all can be born with the possibility of different characteristics, but that's not relevant to our later life choices. If you want to equate psychology with botany/zoology this is the best I can do. 

You put too much emphasis on my choice of the word seed.

To rephrase: corruption is part of human nature and only needs opportunity to flourish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikebike said:

To rephrase: corruption is part of human nature and only needs opportunity to flourish.

I think we must agree to disagree. Your view of general human nature is far distant from mine. We don't have anything else to say to each other on this topic. Have a great weekend ahead!

On 5/28/2021 at 8:18 AM, Andycoops said:

I have 2 hotels booked for end of July and Christmas in Pattaya, I shall only be going if the bars are open.

I expect to have to cancel the July one with Christmas being the most likely.

I hope the hotel you have booked will still be operating.   It's not looking promising.  

On 5/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, BritManToo said:

I predict bars, places of entertainment, swimming pools, countries, borders, flights, etc. will be randomly opened/closed/cancelled with no notice for the next 5-10 years or longer, despite mandatory random experimental vaccinations every 6 months.

Book a holiday, expect your home country or the destination country to cancel it at random.

On holiday, expect your return home to be cancelled at random by the air company, or your home country.

Enjoy the rest of your life!

You forgot the two weeks quarantine,on arrival at both ends 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:38 AM, Stocky said:

Is there a set date for this current Covid wave to end?

No, so likewise equally obviously there is no "date set yet to reopen" bars.

August 25.2021 and close at 10pm if i am wrong the drinks on me?

On 5/28/2021 at 10:58 PM, mikebike said:

And a bit of fertilizer. i.e. Money....???? 5555

On 5/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, Thomas J said:

The fact that other countries are also closing certain establishments only proves that the idiotic thinking is not confined to Thailand.  

Again, I went yesterday to the Jomtien Night Market and I was surrounded by people.  I went to Home Pro and Big C and was surrounded by people.  I had lunch at the Black Canyon Cafe and was surrounded by people.  We stopped at a Swensens and sat while we enjoyed an ice cream. 

However all of those activities are permitted.  It is only the bars that somehow can spread Covid.  More ridiculous is that I can dine at a restaurant remove my mask, and take a drink from my glass or bottle of water.  At the same restaurant, I can not take a drink if that drink is is bottle of beer or glass of wine.  You give the pretense that somehow it is more difficult to control people inside a small bar.  Have you been to the meat counter at Makro recently. Do you see anyone trying to control the social distancing as the people at times are shoulder to shoulder selecting their meat from the coolers. 

But don't let this common sense get in your way of trying to justify your preconceived bias that somehow the serving of alcohol somehow is more risky.  

This is a picture I took yesterday on the second floor outside the Big C Extra in Na Kleu
Now please tell me how this activity fully permitted is somehow less prone to spread Covid than allowing people to either dine and have an alcoholic beverage or sip a beer inside a bar. These patrons not only are close to each other but exposed to hundreds of people as they pass by them inside the mall on their way to Big C, Home Pro or any of the other second floor locations. 

Bar.jpg

That's the once in a month old people's get together. 

On 5/28/2021 at 3:55 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Most Thais could see nothing wrong with your scenario. 

To some extent true, because at home, in school and at work and in overall observations of life Thai folks are not taught 'what if', 'analysis', 'cause and effect', etc.

My Thai son has been scolded many times by his aunts, uncles, buddies his mother & father in law, because he's mentioned observations and possible negative (or positive) results. They tell him he's just rude and disrespectful. And a few ask him privately 'how did you know that' etc. His response is always 'my farang dad and my Thai mum* taught me to be observant and to analyse etc. They all look blank and have said 'not possible' etc.

(*...Thai mum, my sadly departed Thai wife spent 12+ years in Australia studying medicine + 2 medical specializations plus completing her Ph.D. in Sociology. She lived with one Oz family for the whole time, on her return to LOS she was a fair dinkum Aussie, even spoke English (perfect English) with a strong Aussie accent.)

• Like 2

Vaccines won't open up tourism. If people go along with vaccine passports and travel restrictions there will be regular jabs. You won't be able to travel unless you are up to date with the latest science fluids .

Each time a variant is registered somewhere there will be international lock downs until a new vaccine is developed. Imagine booking a holiday, or running a business, when travel can be stopped due to a local virus or a virus at the other end. I don't see how international tourism can continue.

Somehow we managed to get along before 2019.

What percentage of the very old, and very sick, who were allegedly saved by lockdowns are still alive today?

Vaccines 2.0: Next generation COVID shots will be cheaper, easier to deliver, and protect against more viruses, industry leaders say

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/05/31/next-generation-covid-vaccines-cheaper-easier-more-protective/5174532001/

Amidst all the failure, a silver lining.

Surrounding my wife's family's farmland there's been a lot of underused land. I've asked my wife, why? She says the children of those families have since moved to BKK where they make the cash, and aren't that interested in farming. They use the land occasionally and hold onto it merely for status. Well, well, now that there's Covid their cashflow has been impacted, and suddenly that farmland is looking attractive again. They need some cash, let don't have anyone to work the land.

Around here not that many are interested in farm work. I just made another post about the many young men in our moo ban who lay about playing games and aren't pushed to do anything. Well, that just means more work for my bro-in-law and sis-in-law, who've been hustling and raking it in, farming for those needy Bangkokians. They've just been able to buy a solar cell and pump set up, and we'll soon be rebuilding their farmhouse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I cannot fathom how bleak one's life must be if they are pining  for a bar stool.

You should try having enough money not to work.

Once those 80 hour working weeks have gone, there's suddenly a lot of time to fill.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You should try having enough money not to work.

Once those 80 hour working weeks have gone, there's suddenly a lot of time to fill.

Once I retire (no 80hr weeks for me luckily) I cannot see my elderly years being wasted sitting on a bar stool,  the mere thought of that make me feel ill.

• Confused 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Once I retire (no 80hr weeks for me luckily) I cannot see my elderly years being wasted sitting on a bar stool,  the mere thought of that make me feel ill.

Once you retire, you are merely filling time while waiting to die.

There is no purpose to your time, it's all wasted.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Once I retire I will be able to devote more time to my hobbies, waiting to die is not one of them. In saying that I have no desire to live much past 65-70 yrs old.

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The fact that you took the time to reply says loads about your present life. I walked away from 100K-135K USD/yr working 6 mos/yr. to be with my daughter growing up. A few beers at the local every now and again is a way to keep up with goings on.

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

The fact that you took the time to reply says loads about your present life. I walked away from 100K-135K USD/yr working 6 mos/yr. to be with my daughter growing up. A few beers at the local every now and again is a way to keep up with goings on.

Indeed it does, cannot wait to retire, only a few more years to go.

I have no children, no time for them.

Anyways this is getting way off topic so will leave it there.

Edited by Ralf001

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Once you are born you are filling time waiting to die.....????

• Haha 2

In reply to the original question. It probably depends where you are in Thailand .With Phuket planning the "sandbox" from 01July and very few cases, most of us predicted alcohol in restaurants from 01 June then bars open from 14th June. Very wrong on that count Hopeful bars will be open before the "sandbox" Logically to give the bars time to get their staff back.

6 minutes ago, eyup said:

In reply to the original question. It probably depends where you are in Thailand .With Phuket planning the "sandbox" from 01July and very few cases, most of us predicted alcohol in restaurants from 01 June then bars open from 14th June. Very wrong on that count Hopeful bars will be open before the "sandbox" Logically to give the bars time to get their staff back.

I predict Phuket won't be open on July 1st and neither will any bars.

Malaysia has just gone into total lockdown, and they are quite close to Phuket.

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I predict Phuket won't be open on July 1st and neither will any bars.

Malaysia has just gone into total lockdown, and they are quite close to Phuket.

Malaysia is not Phuket and bears no resemblance and has no impact whatsoever to the situation and decisions to be taken there.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, eyup said:

Malaysia is not Phuket and bears no resemblance and has no impact whatsoever to the situation and decisions to be taken there.

yep, very different. No people, no covid, no..........